1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Panthers fire G.M. Marty Hurney

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Oct 22, 2012.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Posted by Darin Gantt on October 22, 2012, 9:58 AM EDT
    After a 1-5 start dampened the enthusiasm brought about by the drafting of Cam Newton and a four-win bounce last season, the Panthers fired general manager Marty Hurney.

Panthers owner Jerry Richardson announced the move in a statement Monday morning.

“This was an extremely difficult decision,” Richardson said. “Marty made every effort to bring success to the Panthers and took the team to a Super Bowl and two NFC championship games. Unfortunately, we have not enjoyed the success we hoped for in recent years.

“I have the greatest respect and admiration for Marty and will always appreciate the way he tirelessly served the organization.”

Hurney took over as Panthers general manager in 2002, and helped build the Panthers into a team that made a Super Bowl and two NFC Championship Games in the next four seasons, and won a division title in 2008.

But things bottomed out after that, as the relationship with coach John Fox went south, leading to a 2-14 record in 2010.

“I am very fortunate to have been a part of one of the best organizations in the NFL since 1998,” Hurney said in the statement. “As General Manager I will always regret not helping us win the Super Bowl or having back-to-back winning seasons. I hope this change starts accomplishing the direction to those goals.

“I understand this decision by Mr. Richardson and will always have an extremely close relationship with him. I consider him the best owner in the NFL. I am responsible for everybody in coaching, the players, the scouts and everybody in football operations. After six weeks, we are 1-5 coming off a 6-10 season.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/
  2. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Possibly AJ's next gig?
  3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,552 / 7 / -2
  4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    but he looks good doing his commercial
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Ron Rivera will be fired at the end of the season.
  6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,552 / 7 / -2
    LOL thinking swag wins football games.

:roflmao:
  7. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +128 / 2 / -0
    Not what I would wish for, but I'd entertain him as our new head coach.
  8. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,450 / 19 / -4
    I can only pray, I'd love to bring him back to San Diego
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    Would be a nice landing spot for AJ. They have a terrible O-line also, Would be a great area of need to neglect
  11. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    Maybe he isnt superman, maybe scam is Super-Bob from Office Space. He is the Panthers efficiency expert and didnt think Marty had good "People Skills"!
  12. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    As a DC, maybe. But I really don't see where what he's done in Carolina has in any way validated him as a viable HC candidate - he's Norvall Lite there in terms of decision-making and allowing horrendous play-calling to come to pass on both sides of the ball.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings Received:
    +199 / 1 / -0
    Ya see Dean....it aint so hard......:cool:
  15. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 4 / -2
    I haven't had a chance to watch any Carolina games. Can you give me some examples or point me to a specific game so I can see what you're talking about?
  16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    The game against the Falcons is the most obvious, Rivera just made dumb decision after dumb decision that allowed Atlanta to come back in that game and ultimately win late in the 4th quarter.

Meanwhile, both he and Chud are continuing to beat this dead horse of running a heavy-emphasis Read-Option offense with Cam when it's not effective in the least for them and when it's moving Cam out of the pocket and putting him in positions where the potential for him to kill the team with dumb decisions is only further increased. Ron hasn't developed a knack for clock management at all (this is pretty typical of a lot of "younger" first time HC's, but you'd like to see him make some progress by the halfway point of his sophomore season).

The Panthers are also a team that is performing a lot like ours in terms of mentality and mindset in games - they just exude lacking any kind of killer instinct or fire. They're having consistent 2nd half collapses, like us, which screams that the coaching staff is failing to make proper and effective adjustments. They're not terribly disciplined (and isn't that something we've been screaming for?). There are a lot of things that are within his scope to reform or enact change, and he just hasn't shown it yet. Not saying he can't, but just saying that I haven't seen the body of work to merit jumping all over him and giving him a second chance without him earning his stripes again. I'd sooner give a guy like Mike Nolan (who at the very least if he fails as an HC will leave our young defense poised and developed to be one of the top ones in the league for years to come) a second chance than Rivera right now.
    • Informative Informative x 1