1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Park View Little League

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by EsDee_in_RI, Aug 14, 2009.

1. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Good luck to the Park View Little League All Stars...you're making Chula Vista proud. ALL THE WAY TO WILLIAMSPORT, PA! :icon_banana:
  2. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    go Park View, we are all pulling for you!!!!!!!
  3. EsDee_in_RI

Ratings Received:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    On the the WEST REGIONAL FINAL!!!! These kids can hit!!!!!:icon_toast::icon_banana:
  4. EsDee_in_RI

Ratings Received:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Live this Sunday at 5 pm on ESPN2....support the CV kids!
  5. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    I know a couple of kids playing on that team. Good luck guys!!!
  6. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    One step away from Williamsport, good luck guys!
  7. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    They absolutely crushed the ball, now it’s on to Williamsport. Good Luck guys, and enjoy the whole experience back there! We all are pulling for you.
  8. EsDee_in_RI

Ratings Received:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Hell of a game...those kids gotta learn to hit the curve! But still Awesome game!
  9. ChargerRay

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    Congrats to Park View!! My friend Oscar is the manager of that team, and he was one of the first co-hosts of the podcast.
  10. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Tell him that I enjoyed watching his team play. And that I am positive that they will represent all of us well!

Oh and I wish that I had a kid 6 Foot 2 inches playing on my Little League team
  11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Chula Vista team wins shot at Little League World Series

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

CONGRATS!!!

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/aug/16/san-bernardino-8212-crow-flies/?sports&zIndex=150392

SAN BERNARDINO — As the crow flies, the distance from San Bernardino to South Williamsport, Pa., measures 2,239 miles. But Sunday night, the Chula Vista Park View All-Stars could see all the way to the home of the Little League World Series.

The 12- and 13-year-olds rallied with a five-run fifth inning to snap a 3-3 tie and went on to beat Northern California 11-4 in the West Region title game.

Park View's reward: Monday morning the kids board a charter flight to South Williamsport and will be one of 16 teams to participate in Little League's crown jewel.

Park View becomes the third team in the past nine seasons from San Diego County to advance to the Little League World Series, joining Oceanside American in 2001 and Rancho Buena Vista in 2005.

Said Park View president Rod Roberto, “It's been a magical ride.”

Park View is in its 41st season of playing Little League ball. Before this year, the furthest the team had advanced in Majors All-Star play was sectionals, four rounds before the World Series.

The game against the Northern California champions from Lakeside Little League in Granite Bay-Loomis outside Sacramento was billed as a strong pitching team (NoCal) against Park View's sluggers.

The sluggers won out.

Center fielder Kiko Garcia hit his 11th and 12th home runs of the tournament, driving in three runs. All but two of Garcia's hits in the tournament were home runs.

Pitcher/first baseman Luke Ramirez added a two-run shot and shortstop Andy Rios slugged a solo homer. Park View finished the tournament with 38 home runs in six games.

Park View benefited from Little League's pitch-count rules and a deeper pitching staff. Northern California starter Mitch Hart settled down after his rocky first inning and wound up allowing only the three first-inning runs.

But after 85 pitches, with one out in the top of the fifth, he had to leave the mound. Pitchers are limited to 85 pitches in a Little League All-Star game, but they're allowed to finish pitching to a batter if they're in the middle of the count after 85 pitches.

After Hart left, Northern California crumbled. The five-run fifth came on only one hit, a two-run double by Oscar Castro. Northern California's relievers couldn't find the plate, walking four batters and tossing three wild pitches. Making matters worse, the Northern California second baseman committed two errors.

By the time Ramirez hit his two-run homer and Garcia added a solo shot in the sixth, Park View's fans were standing in a packed Al Houghton Stadium and chanting “PV-LL, PV-LL, PV-LL.”

While Lakeside's relievers struggled, Isaiah Armenta came on to relieve Ramirez and pitch the final four innings for the win.

When second baseman Bulla Graft fielded a grounder with two out in the bottom of the sixth and flipped to Rios for the final out of the game, the players erupted in celebration.

As Queen's “We Are the Champions” blasted on the sound system, the players sprinted to the mound and dog-piled on Armenta.

Park View is scheduled to leave for Williamsport at 11:30 a.m. Monday on a charter flight out of L.A/Ontario International Airport. The team will travel with the Northwest Region champion from Mercer Island, Wash., which earned its ticket to South Williamsport on Saturday.

Park View is scheduled to play its first Little League World Series game at 5 p.m. (PDT) Saturday against the Great Lakes champion from Logan County/Russellville. The game will be televised by ESPN2.

Park View is the ninth team from San Diego County to make it to South Williamsport.

The only local team to win the Little League World Series was El Cajon/La Mesa Northern in 1961, a squad that included future NFL Most Valuable Player Brian Sipe.

I never knew this. Of course I was only 4. Although later in life I knew Brian's sister. :tup:
  12. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    That pitch count Little League runs has its good points and its bad points!
  13. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    I like it better than innings. :yes:
  14. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    what is this pitch count you speak of?
  15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Unless you get into a losers bracket game, and every pitcher only throws 19 Pitches.

If they throw 20 or more they need a days rest. With 19 they can throw the next game, and they can throw in every game.
  16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Depending on the age, Little League only allows a pitcher to throw so many pitches in a game. A 12 Year old can throw a maximum of 85 pitches in a game, he is allowed to finish to the batter he is throwing to once he hits 85 pitches, but he cannot pitch to another batter. An 8 year old is only allowed to throw 50 Pitches in a game. Now depending on how many pitches the pitcher threw during the game will determine how much rest he will get. When you throw the maximum amount, not only will he get at least 3 days rest, we will not be eligible for the next game, no matter how many days rest he has. And there are a lot of scenarios mixed in between all of that.

The Score keeper keeps the pitch count and they must be able to answer how many pitches have been thrown at any time by any manger involved in the game that is being played. There is also a sheet that is filled out and signed by both Mangers as far as eligibility goes at the end of the game.

Oh and there is difference between season and post season tournaments as far as pitch counts go. They give the Pitchers more pitches during Tournaments and reduce the rest time by a little bit.
  17. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings Received:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    I understand.

When I was managing it was innings. Then they went to pitches. I thought that was the best thing they did to save the kid's arms.

That's why I always tried to develope more than a couple of pitchers.Not like some that relied on just 1 or 2.
  18. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    we had 5 Kids that could at least get the ball over the plate.

When I brought me oldest up through the ranks, it was innings pitched like you said. I had four kids that I threw, that way I could spread it around and pretty much gave everyone the same amount of work. With a Pitch count I needed one more arm.
  19. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings Received:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    When I did my draft. I went with arm, first. :yes:
  20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Heck the Catcher dang near sprained his ankle on those break away bases at First Base that Liitle League made mandatory for EVERYONE!

My T-Ballers who were not even allowed to slide, but they had to play with that break away style.
  21. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    funny story along those lines. Back in the day my brother and I played for a few LL teams in La Mesa, they were always named after whoever would pay for the unis. Parkway Richfield (anybody remember that gas station?). Reeds Pharmacy and what not.

Anyways, I sucked. But I always got to play. Everybody played every game. I couldn't hit for shiit. I'll never forget a one game I finally got a hit, standing on first base, I decided to steal 2nd. I took off and got knocked out cold by the 2nd basemen. My brother proceeded to run out of the dugout and take the dude out for knockin out his little brother. It was a bench clearing brawl my a bunch of 10 year olds!

Good times!
  22. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,558 / 11 / -0
    :lol: :tup:

That's awesome!
  23. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6

I played for 31 Flavors, my brother played for Swenson’s Ice Cream. We both pitched, I did better when we played each other. We beat them very badly; it was something like 34-3.
    When we got in the car, before I could say anything. My mother looked back at me and said, I Do not want to hear 1 word from either one of you. So much for brothers playing on opposite Teams.

In the Senior League, he caught I pitched, same team. We would meet half way between home and the pitchers mound and argue about what pitch to throw next, so much for brothers playing on the same team.
  24. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

:lol:

I remember 31 flavors. We played at Sunset Park (Lake Murray) and somewhere else over in that hood.
  25. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    We played for Balboa Little League which still is up in Clairemont. You can see the field from Genesee and its over by Mesa College.
  26. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

La Mesa Little League.

Damn, I didn't think those brain cells were still alive

:lol:
  27. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Oh that was you thinking, I had thought that we were having an earthquake

And for my last at bat in Little League, I hit a homerun, and I was told the reason I did not make All Stars was that I did not hit a Home run.

When my oldest was having his final team party, we all were sitting around talking about our Little league playing days. The Coach for my sons team kept saying things that kept bringing back memories. So he brought out his Team Photo, I asked him wehere he was, and he pointed himself out to me.
    I then pointed to where I was, we played on the same Team. Some 20 years before.
  28. ChargerRay

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    Park View up 2-0!
  29. ChargerRay

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    14-0 Park View!
  30. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker