1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Patriots release Aaron Hernandez...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Jun 26, 2013.

1. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    So going off of how the DOJ has handled fast and furious .. or how IRS has targetted conservative groups .. or how the administration handled Benghazi .. I can only go off history.

If that is tin foil hat, then I guess I am ..
  2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    You want gun registration? You cannot be serious.
  3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9

Gun control absolutely hurts the poor. It puts the poor, who are overwhelmingly un/undersupported by the police, in a position of extreme vulnerability to gangs, whether the gangs have guns or not.
  4. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 1 / -0
    "Innocent" chants from outside the courthouse??? REALLY??
    How OJ of them.
    Where do these losers spawn from, and why aren't they working or doing something that matters???
  5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    So much statistical fail.

The homicide rate is not 60 times higher in the US. The total number of homicides is 60 times greater with a population only 15 times greater. That means the intentional homicide rate in the US is 4 times higher than that of Australia.

Lower homicide rates in countries with many fewer guns is not proof that "American gun violence is not a gun problem." In 2011, firearms were used in 68% of murders in the US. In Australia, only 16% of murders involved a gun. If stricter gun control has no impact on gun crime or even, as some gun enthusiasts assert, leads to more gun crime (since only criminals have guns), how come such a smaller percentage of homicides in Australia involved a gun?

As for Switzerland, I would be happy to adopt their reasonable gun control measures. The majority of men aged 20 to 30 in Switzerland are conscripted into militia service, undergo military and firearms training and are required to keep their military weapon in their home. Even with some 420,000 assault rifles (over 50% of all guns in the country) kept at home by militia members, the guns per capita in Switzerland is less than half of that of the US. If you exclude the guns owned by highly trained and psychologically and criminally screened militia members, the guns per capita in Switzerland drops to about 20% of the US. So, again, the fact that Switzerland has far fewer guns and a much lower homicide rate is not proof that America's "gun violence problem is not a gun problem."

Your glib assertion that Hernandez's victim "probably would be dead anyway whether Hernandez had been armed or not" would be laughable if it weren't so callous. You could not possibly know that.

As for "glorifying violence," you'll have to be more specific. If you are referring to fictional depictions of violence, leading research shows that watching violent shows or playing violent games does not reduce the empathy that individuals feel towards real crime victims, and according to top researchers, "it is difficult for a 'more empathetic' brain to behave in a violent way."
  6. reddenedbeard

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Are you serious? Have you looked at the gun control legistlation in CA this session?

You explain what "common sense" gun control is then .. You seem to have all the answers. And then once you get those "common sense" gun control, then show me where there won't be more creep..
  7. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    Again, you have no facts to back this up. Just assertions that support your preconceived notions.

Only .8% of violent crime victims defend themselves using a firearm.

Which do you suppose is higher, cheap guns used in violent crimes or cheap guns used in self-defense? We could probably get a better idea of the answer by comparing the number of guns used in a justifiable homicide versus the number of criminal homicides:

"For the five-year period 2006 through 2010, for every justifiable homicide in the United States involving a gun, guns
    were used in 44 criminal homicides."

This doesn't even factor unintentional shootings and suicides in which a gun was used. So are poor people really helped by having more guns available at a cheaper price? If you still think so, where is your proof?
  8. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    Yes I'm very serious. You and I obviously have a different definition of common sense.
  9. reddenedbeard

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Still waiting for the "common sense" definition.
  10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Hell yes. There is no reason not to have it once you take your tin foil hat off
  11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    And liberal groups, but I bet Faux News didn't tell you that http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/24/politics/irs-targeting/index.html
  12. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
  13. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9

I had meant to type that the number of homocides is 60 times higher in a country where the population is 15 times greater. That's a typo, not a statistical fail.

Also, I'd be somewhat apprehensive about calling someone who has gone to boot camp "highly trained".

Hernandez apparently picked up his victim with several of his buddies, and drove him somewhere to execute him. If you don't think that 3 men can kill an unarmed person without a gun, you're out of your mind.

There's a tremendous difference between reducing empathy for victims of real crime (or not) and attributing qualities of heroism to criminals. Elements of our society actually idolize people for being "thugs".

With regards to Switzerland, the widespread presence of actual military weaponry in private hands shows that arbitrarily restricting certain weapons based on their features isn't how you reduce gun violence.
  14. reddenedbeard

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 0 / -0
  15. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    It's still a statistical fail because the statistics you quoted proved the exact opposite of what you thought they did. You really thought that was your only misuse of statistics?

I didn't say that three people could not kill an unarmed man. But you presume that it still would have happened if Hernandez had not had a gun. You do not know that. You have absolutely no way of knowing it.

As for "boot camp," unless you are aware of the military training undertaken by Swiss militia members before being given their weapons, you are just talking out of your azz again.

As for the "elements" in our society who actually idolize people for being "thugs," I'm hearing a whole lot of dog whistles all of the sudden. Can't imagine why. Have you ever heard of Capone? Dillinger? Jesse James? Billy the Kid? Idolizing violent criminals is nothing new.

Once again, you look at one extremely skewed data point and see a trend. The fact that Swiss militia members keep assault rifles at home and the country has low rates of gun violence does not prove that assault weapons bans do not work. And I have not even brought up the fact that, since 2008, all of the military ammunition has been stored at central arsenals rather than private homes.

As for assault weapons bans not working:

A Dept. of Justice study found that, holding all other factors equal, the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban (AWB) reduced the gun deaths rate by 6.7%.

A Penn study found that, in the nine years after the 1994 AWB, crimes involving assault weapons reduced by two-thirds.

In a letter to the American Journal of Public Health, two respected researchers reported that a 1994 Maryland law placing higher restrictions on assault pistols led to a 55% drop in such pistols being recovered by police.

I could go on, but I'm inclined to invoke the mercy rule.
  16. reddenedbeard

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    We can keep quoting opposing studies all day long .. one thing is for sure, we are not going to agree.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    This is the typical BS. You have not quoted one single, solitary study. I have quoted dozens. You could quote studies all day long, but you have not quoted one.
  18. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9

The stats show that in spite of vastly different firearms laws, 2 distinct countries have significantly lower homicide rates than the US, which disproves the old "reduce guns to reduce murders" rhetoric.

Here is the military training undertaken by the Swiss. Like our own military, it hardly qualifies as being "highly trained": http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schweizer_Armee

Also, it's clear that your gun knowledge is extremely poor. The Swiss had previously issued the militia members 5.56 rounds to use in order to "fight their way" to their rallying points, but have not done so since 2008. However, the 5.56 mm round is an extremely common and widely available round, which can be readily purchased in Switzerland.

What you're not pointing out under the DOJ, Penn, and AJPH studies/letters, is that the rate of gun deaths had been going down prior to the bans, and has continued to go down even after the ban was lifted.

I'm not sure why it is that you're inclined to invoke the mercy rule, seeing as you haven't proved anything regarding the need for gun control, the effectiveness of gun control, or the benefits of gun control on society.
  19. reddenedbeard

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Whatever..
  20. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,280 / 12 / -5
    Wrong. He went in, showed his florida DL, got ammo an headed off to the shooting range he frequents. No waiting period whatsoever. I asked him specifally about any waiting period and he said there wasn't any.
  21. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,280 / 12 / -5
    You really aren't up on current events, are you? Liberal/progressive groups were targeted by the IRS just as much as the conservative ones. But you'll ignore that fact too.

As far as Benghazi is concerned, where was the outrage when DOZENS MORE of our people were killed at our embassies under Bush? What about when the Republicans voted AGAINST more money to be used to protect our embassies just prior to Benghazi?

You'll need a chin strap for that tinfoil hat as it sure as hell won't help you answer ANY question I posed to you.
  22. reddenedbeard

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Look back .. already sent an article on that..

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2461573

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jun/27/irs-auditor-reaffirms-conservatives-not-liberals-w/
  23. reddenedbeard

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Was he just there to shoot? Or did he buy the gun?
  24. reddenedbeard

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    It honestly wouldn't matter if I quoted anything .. like Koper saying the AWB had mixed results back in Jan of this year or the competing statistics out there about defensive handgun results .. it doesn't matter as you have made up your mind..
  25. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,280 / 12 / -5
    He bought the gun at a gun shop. Then drove to an indoor shooting range, same day. Took him longer to drive to the shooting range than to buy the gun.
  26. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,280 / 12 / -5
  27. reddenedbeard

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    I don't know what to say other than the gun shop broke the law .. he should hve filled out a background check form..
  28. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,132 / 4 / -0
    Friendly Reminder: Political discussions need to be kept out of the general football forums. We will have to move this thread to the Political forum if the filibustering continues. Thanks, all.:)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +778 / 54 / -41
    So what's happening in here guy's ????????????????????????

[​IMG]
  30. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +778 / 54 / -41
    What a Pisser, this gets better by the day .......... :tup:

Hey BLEW, did I say a fortnight ago I was disappointed in the lack of offseason effort by todays players ???

(Beware of what you wish for comes to mind about now ;) )

Well, Ol' Aaron has has not only blown that outta the water, he's taken it up to the Rae Carruth level and then some. :eek:

OK, whats the Over/Under on him getting more time in the Bighouse than Rae Rae ???