1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

people who need to be cut at the end of the season so we can upgrade

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by charger1993, Dec 22, 2010.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    69 T. Green- honestly what has he done?????? and the answer is ntohing but give up sacks he has terrible feet and hands. hes better watchin the game then playing it

82 K. Sperry- do we really need 4 tightends, i have yet to see this kid play, we have gates and mc michael we dont need him

33 D. Hughes- who is the guy???? never really see him play

B. Moore- theese dudes dont even have numbers its almost post season they need to bounce
    D. Beckwith-theese dudes dont even have numbers its almost post season they need to bounce

31 T. Carter-do we really need a reject safety thats over the age of 30???

36 Q. Teal- a carolina panther reject hes only a special team player

NEEDS TO BE TRADED SO WE CAN GET VALUE-

84 B. Davis- Shows flashes but then he gets broken, im thinking we can atleast get a 5th for this guy

43 D.Sproles- hes old we can upgrade hes owrth maybe a 3rd hopefully we can get that. im tired of not seeing the same lighting bug

54 S. Cooper-alot of young talent at his posistion we could easily rack up a 3rd or 4th for him

81 R. McMichael-hes old i rather keep kris wilson.. idk what we could get for him with the way hes been playing maybe a 4th
  2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    You think we are going to get a 5th for Buster? I couldn't see any more than a Conditional 7th. We will get less for him than we gave up to get Travis Johnson.

Cooper, McMichael, and Sproles are all Free agents, so we don't have the ability to trade them. unless we franchise one, which won't happen since frnachise needs to be used on VJ.
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    Ogemdi Ngwabuo (taking snaps from Cam Thomas who is better)
    Travis Johnson (taking snaps from Vaughn Martin who is better)
    Buster Davis (nuff said)
    Jeromey Clary (has improved but it's time for an upgrade there)
    Kris Wilson (don't think he does anything better then Sperry)

I actually like Dante Hughes and Tyronne Greene as backups (or in Hughes case he's been good as a nickel back). We also have got to figure out our safety situation. We've got like a dozen and we need to figure out who we keep and where. Obviously Weddle stays, I still have hopes for Stuckey, Gregory is good as well. But then we need to keep one or two special teamers so where does that leave Paul Oliver?
  4. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 2 / -1
    Agree with most of what you said here except Tyronne Green (the guy has no upside). I have hopes for Stuckey and Gregory to still be competitors on this team. I agree that 4 TE is abit much, but Norv seems to know how to use them well (which surprised me a little) so may as well keep them all as long as they are contributing!

Clary has got to be either demoted to backup or let go...I'm sure we can find a better, more consistent player to cover the right side of the Oline!!

Buster Davis has been given a fair crack with the Chargers...maybe alot more than he would have been given on any other team...time to cut our losses there.

I also think Sproles has got to be let go...not enough bang for our buck there.
  5. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    Agreed i think we could get something for buster maybe not much but more than a 7th.. and the rest of the trade guys i wouldnt mind signing them with a trade clause pay them the bare minimum and if they are traded we dont owe them any further money
  6. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if we don't end up keeping Sproles after he tests the market and discovers $3M or so is the going rate for a kick returner/3rd down back.
  7. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1

I'll agree with you on Tyronne Green, he is only an adequate backup, nothing special, keep him if we cant get anything substantially better.

Kory Sperry has already proven himself over Kris Wilson, younger, faster, stronger, he should be #3, Kris Wilson will be shown the door

Dante Hughes has been playing well as the backup Nickelback. The fact that you havent heard his name alot is a good sign. He is playing solid, not making many big plays, but not giving up big ones either

Beckwith is gone already, Moore is here as ST fodder because we have so many hurt LB's, he wont be here next year

Tyrone Carter is only here for ST's and he wont be back next year

Quinton Teal has played some serious ST's, I would say the top Special Teamer after Siler and Tolbert

Buster will be shown the door, would be surprised if we could get anything for him

Sproles is a great talent, but at his size and years my guess is he will start to fall off now. He will not be franchised and he will not get 40 million a year while we have Mathews and Tolbert getting a new contract

Cooper will be here next year as a veteran LB who will rotate in with Donald Butler, and Butler will be the starter by the end of the year

Clary needs to be shifted to the backup RT, promote Dombo to starter next year.

Draft DE, SS, OLB, OL, WR

Give Tolbert, Garay, and Floyd contracts, franchise VJ.
  8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    I think you should watch more Chargers games.

Just my opinion.
  9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    hahaha

Beat me to it.
  10. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    chargers mainly need to improve our linebacking corp. i'm getting a bad feeling gates career might be over cause of his bad foot problem.
  11. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  12. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Nate Kaeding - cant we trade him to the pats or someone like that so he can screw THEM over every year in the playoffs???
    Eric Weddle - People love him for some unexplained reason, but the guy sucks and needs to be upgraded ASAP
    Jeremy Clary - How has this guy kept his job for so long???
    Steve Gregory - I dont know if we need to cut him since he doesnt make much, but he needed to be upgraded
  13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    Bring back Charlie Whitehurst. He can play safety.:eek:hmy:
  14. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    do whatever it takes to fix special teams and slow starts

&

what Corona said
  15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    Kaeding & Clary I agree with, both must be upgraded.
    Weddle I think is playing alot better, I think he's shown real signs of improvement. Even if he's not nor will ever be an Ed Reed I think he's played very well at FS. Gregory I think would be better as a backup, dimeback & ST gunner. He'd then at least be able to take a spot from Teal or Carter or one of those only ST guys
  16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    That is pretty much how all NFL contracts work already. When a player is traded, the new team takes on the players contract
  17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    We should have done the same thing 2 years ago
  18. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    I would agree with you if it were the off-season. Until our Charge to Dallas ends, we need every single man on this roster. They're here for a reason, who's to say one of them doesn't come up big when we really need them? Revive this thread in March.
  19. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    its really not who needs to be cut. Its what do we need. We need a better linebacking corp. A solid inside and outside corp.

And we need to keep jackson, floyd, and crayton to have probalby the best wr corp in the league. Plus add nannee and tutu and were as solid as its gonna get.
  20. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,544 / 7 / -2
    CUT/DON'T RESIGN/MURDER/ECT
    Norv (nothing but a super bowl should save him IMO)
    Clary
    Sproles
    Castillo
    Davis
    Cooper

I don't give a crap about trades. AJ needs to go after a solid vet or 2 in FA (LOL AJ + FA, I KNOW RIGHT?). We are so close.
  21. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +129 / 19 / -5
  22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,544 / 7 / -2
  23. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings Received:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    In my Sig just get rid of Norv and Crosby and this team will not be considered a Finesse/Weak team. Also get rid of Kaeding, he is not clutch and is a groin injury away from excuses why he is not clutch.
  24. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    Does everyone here realize that if Special Teams had never been invented... this team would be (at worst) 11-3 right now?

Crosby is the only person who should have been cut loose. And if the Chargers miss the playoffs he probably will be. Because AJ is not going to take the fall for this. Someone's gotta be blamed and it won't be AJ's lover Norv.
  25. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 7 / -1
    Wow, I can't believe some of the above. For me the likes of Clary has come on greatly. He is a decent RT now, and has the bit of nastiness you need. Tyrone Greene is one who should be kept around because he can play a couple of positions adequately. I'm not convinced Vasquez is that much better than him.

Sperry has shown me he can catch, Wilson is mainly a blocking TE/special teamer. If Sperry can block he's a keeper and Wilson is gone. I keep McMichael too, he is a starting TE in this league playing behind Gates.

At wideout I guess Buster is gone, I'd be v happy to go into next year with VJ, M80, Crayton, Naanee and Washington (and possibly Tutu).

Sproles is gone unless he signs a long term at good value. Brinkley can give us enough there. Mathews at 100% and Tolbert are there to carry the load.

On the D line, it looks like it might be the end for Johnson and maybe OG (provided Thomas and Martin step up). We go with Garay, Cam, VM, Cesaire (who is seriously underrated imho) and Castillo (because he is pretty).

At LB I'm not sure how much more Coop can give us physically. We need to serious upgrade at ILB, hoping Butler can be the guy. Siler seems to have regressed a bit. Burnett is a keeper. At OLB, it might be the end of Tucker, we're set with SP, Larry, Barnes and Applewhite. Lang for me has been a big disappointment. Holt might challenge.

At D back, I've loved what I've seen from Dante Hughes, the guy has played great and tackles everything coming his way. I'm not sure Paul Oliver can give us much more going forward. I see us moving on with Jam, Cason, Hughes, Weddle, Gregory, Stuckey and a rookie corner.

Some of the designated special teamers might stick e.g. Teal, Watkins and Carter (pick 2 from 3 maybe).

Oh and adios Nate.
  26. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    yes please
  27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I believe Cesaire is a UFA next year. I don't look for him back with Martin going into his 3rd year. We'll definitely target a 3-4 DE & an OLB in this year's draft. Cooper is something of a wild card as far as remaining. Some of that could well depend on what happens with Rivera - he loves Cooper. That, and the status of Butler. Personally, I'd like to see us grab a guy like Nate Irving with one of our 3rds. I believe he'd add a lot of attitude to the middle of this D. Hughes is also showing pretty damn well of late & is valuable in the nickel & dime packages.

Green is a keeper for depth. I can't say that I see more from him than a healthy Vasquez, but he can play multiple OL positions at a more-than-adequate level.

To the thread starter - check the adjustment on your mom's TV. I think you may be looking at lingerie football by mistake.
  28. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I agree. It's not about Sproles being washed up, it's about his value. He's still making solid plays in Norv's offense but I'm not sure if his physical skills would carry him in a simplified system. Also, he doesn't look like he has the speed to be a kick returner. Shiftyness will only get him so far.
  29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Noel Devine with a 3rd.
  30. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +129 / 19 / -5
    Is that after or before he hits the game winning kick in the playoffs?