1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

people who need to be cut at the end of the season so we can upgrade

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by charger1993, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,558 / 7 / -2
    :lol:

2. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Ill say BEFORE because he will NEVER make a playoff game winner

3. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +254 / 0 / -0
    We're gunna get rid of him and he's gunna go to a team that's going to play us at some point during the season and he's gunna hit the game winner against us. Watch.

4. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    While i love Devine, and would be thrilled with us picking him to replace Sproles, id rather get a slot WR who can also return kicks. I would rather us use a 2nd on say Titus Young to come in and be our slot guy/KR than draft another undersized RB. Hell, the way its looking, we could get Demarco Murray in the 3rd, and to me, he would add more to our offense than devine would.

5. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +146 / 19 / -5
    I hope that doesn't come true. But with the FO is going with things it just might.

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,213 / 37 / -21
  7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
  8. jerry62

jerry62 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    We need to get rid of English, if anybody would want him.

9. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    And why is that?

10. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +146 / 19 / -5
    Because English has been injury prone and has yet to proven to be a first round pick.

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    The reality:

Mruczkowski is gone... even at the vet minimum, I'm not convinced that AJ retains him unless he truly has no desire to draft or bring in another lineman capable of playing center in a pinch (Green can't, they tried that on the PS and he struggled mightily getting out of his stance and into his initial block while also snapping the ball). Furthermore, Green is under contract inexpensively and can fill M-Kow's spot as the utility OL.

I really don't see how they bring Clary back unless if it's on an incentive laden contract (and how do you set parameters for incentive for OL?). He's been average at best, should have been moved to guard long ago because when he gets beaten it's because he gets killed off the snap and despite the "athleticism" that the coaching staff loves, he can't recover to save his life (or Rivers'). Dombo's under contract and I expect AJ to likely go mid-round or cheap-vet signing to challenge Dombo for the RT position. Given his track record - and the pretty mediocre status of the 2011 draft class at OT - I wouldn't expect any tackle to be taken off the board for us prior to the 3rd round.

At DE... Cesaire is so average it makes me sick. Literally the guy is exceeding his ceiling right now and it's still podunk quality. Likely there will be an offer to either he or Travis Johnson, likely along the same lines of what Tucker received (heavily incentive laden), but we need to address this position early.

At ILB, Coop's as good as gone, unless Burnett majorly prices himself out of our hands. AJ hasn't ever kept a LB past age 30 that I can recall... and the coaching staff has already passed Coop's "QB'ing" of the defense to Weddle, which is better indication than not that they're preparing for life after him.

Weddle is a classic "tweener" safety. The problem is AJ has never been able to pair him with the type of safety that can couple with him and truly make him great. Weddle reads plays extremely well, pursues well, tackles as well as his limited size allows, but his hands suck terribly. He's a natural SS playing in a FS's body. Assuming we ever go back to playing press-man coverage as that's what is the strength of every corner that this team has rostered that it drafted... Weddle just needs a legitimate centerfielder and he can succeed quite well as a SS with the likes of Burnett, Phillips, and Butler in the LB corps.

Oliver's kind of a toss-up. He's a better utility DB than anything, but he's not a great enough S to merit anything but the vet minimum.

No one whose contact isn't both cheap and extends past 2010 who plays exclusively S/T should be retained. This includes Pat Watkins, even though I think he has younger Osgood potential. Fact remains, that veterans understand how to maintain their lanes and assignments better on S/T, so there are always going to be guys who are available exclusively as Special Teams contributors. Those don't need to be worried about until midway through the preseason.

Buster should be dunzo. Only reason I could see for retaining him is if Crayton retires (he should have one year left on his contract), Floyd signs somewhere else, VJ refuses to sign a franchise tender, and Naanee pulls a VJ.

12. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    So what good would it do to cut him??? And if its because it frees up a roster spot, guess again because that spot would likely go to a scrub like brandon lang, and im sorry but there is no way you cut english for some undrafted scrub
    Just because he hasnt measured up to YOUR idea of a first round pick doesnt mean there isnt a place on the team for him

13. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    i watch every charger game theres just people on this team we dont need and people i think we can upgrade from

14. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    yes sir noel divine is one of the college players i want us to draft badly