1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

PFT: Chargers Draft Needs

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,940 / 48 / -26
    Team needs: San Diego Chargers
    Posted by Evan Silva on April 18, 2012, 4:38 PM EDT
    Chargers president Dean Spanos didn’t pull the plug on head coach Norv Turner and General Manager A.J. Smith despite a monumentally disappointing season. Having missed the playoffs in back-to-back years, San Diego enters the draft coming off an aggressive free-agency period.

Outside linebacker: The Chargers landed edge-setting run defender Jarret Johnson for an affordable rate, and he’ll be an upgrade across from Shaun Phillips. San Diego still lacks the natural edge-rushing ‘backer Smith mistakenly believed he found in Larry English three years ago.Antwan Barnes is a situational player. The Bolts could probably get by with a rotation at the position, but Johnson, Phillips, and Travis LaBoy are all on the wrong side of 30 and only Phillips has been a consistent double-digit sack threat.

Safety: The strong safety position has been a revolving door in San Diego since Rodney Harrison left in 2003. Terrence Kiel, Clinton Hart, Bob Sanders, Kevin Ellison, and Darrell Stuckey have flopped. Like Harrison did so many years ago, Steve Gregory has left for New England. The Chargers’ G.M. is known to be a “huge fan” of Notre Dame strong safety Harrison Smith, who could be available in the draft’s second round.

Defensive line: Incumbent nose tackle Antonio Garay was pushed around far too often last season and is going on age 33. Cam Thomas has teased in limited snaps as a 2010 fifth-round pick, but seems unlikely to take over the nose position full time. Defensive end Corey Liuget is San Diego’s lone legitimate pass-rushing threat on the line, and he tallied just one sack in 15 appearances last year. :roflmao:

Running back: Ryan Mathews has only shown flashes of the player Smith anticipated he’d be when San Diego traded up to the 12th overall pick in 2010. Le’Ron McClain can pound it in short yardage and lead block in a pinch, but isn’t a viable candidate for the No. 2 back role. Mike Tolbert was a big loss because he was so effective in the receiving game. Smith probably won’t draft a running back until the middle rounds, but he needs another one.

2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +422 / 7 / -1
    Defensive end Corey Liuget is San Diego’s lone legitimate pass-rushing threat on the line.

Since when PFT!?. I reckon Garay is actually our best pass rusher. Didn't he lead the D line in sacks?.

3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +938 / 15 / -1
    Garay had 2.5 sacks, Martin had 1, Liuget had 1, Tommie Harris actually led the DL with 3 sacks. And I'm sure we'll hear from the peanut gallery on here about how Castillo has been a joke for the past 5 years, but the guy did miss effectively the entire season with an injury last year.

For the record, PFT is notorious for paying absolutely no mind to scheme whatsoever and just expecting the every player in a 3-4 should be capable of doing exactly what his counterpart in a 4-3 does, regardless of what the scheme his coaches are implementing is asking of him to do.

4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,940 / 48 / -26
    Nope. ;)

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,940 / 48 / -26
    Nope, wrong again. ;)

The answer is....... [​IMG]

Cam Thomas led the D-line with 4 sacks. He was second on the team, after Barnes.

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,256 / 38 / -21
    It would be awesome if Cam can take that next step so we can just be set at NT for a while. He's definitely flashed some big potential.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 18 / -3
    I think next year will be another developmental season for Thomas with Garay brought back just for insurance. but after that its Boom or Bust, I'm going with the former

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,940 / 48 / -26
    I think all the young guys will benefit from having a normal preseason prep period. The lockout hurt the growth of the rookies especially. If Cam continues to develop like he has, then Garay will be one doing backup duty.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    We're doomed I tell ya. Doomed. :whistling:

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,940 / 48 / -26
    So, NT with the 1st pick then? ;)

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Absolutely. :tup:

12. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 8 / -0
    Yes, NT with 1st pick.
    When Cam Thomas played at fullback, he rushed for 600 yds. and 6 touchdowns.
    This isn't lost on Norv. I'm pretty sure he is going to put Cam in on goal-line offense
    as the lead blocker instead of Hester.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure. :D

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    Don't think it would be stupid to seriously look at Brandon Thompson in the 2nd round