1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Phil Simms on our "window"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Osmekaman, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    By Jay Posner, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

Friday, January 15, 2010 at 12:01 a.m.

No surprises when the CBS analysts were asked this week about Chargers-Jets. Both love Philip Rivers as a quarterback, both think the Jets are really good running the ball and playing defense … you know, the usual. But I did think it was interesting when Simms discussed whether the Chargers’ window of opportunity might be shrinking.

“I look at the Chargers and I think their window, if you want to use that phrase, I think it’s pretty big,” he said. “Rivers, the receivers, Antonio Gates, the stars on the defense, both corners, young safety … man, they’re getting ready to hit prime. I think they’ve got a lot of years ahead of them. … And Norv Turner, it’s amazing, it’s been a long time since I’ve heard all the negativity about Norv Turner, so he must be doing an unbelievable job to stop all that.”

Holy shamoly... National Media giving a thoughtful well-balanced comment regarding the Bolts.
    Keep up the objectivity Phil. :tup:
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    We've been hearing for a while that the window is closing, never thought I'd hear about not only is our window open but apparently it has the ability to remain open for a while
  3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    Which is what I've been saying all along.

I've always hated the "window" analogy because it's dumb if you ask me.

Everyone thought our proverbial window was shutting because our team centered around Tomlinson and he was getting old.

Well, if we can't win without LT being the LT of 2-3 years ago the window would already be shut.

Everytime someone used the window analogy I kept repeating "As long as we have the personnel who opened that window in the first place I don't see why they can't create another window."

Even years from now when Rivers starts to get too old this "window" may start to shut but another one should open up as long as we have competent personnel running our front office.
  4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    AJ is propping open the window with these!

[​IMG]
  5. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if I would call it a "window" either, but you only so many opportunities to win a Lombardi and folks, this is as good a chance as ever. We have the team to win it all, that's no secret. As long as Rivers is at the helm and AJ keeps restocking the farm, we are good for many, many more years. It took years to build this current team through the draft, FA and just plan luck on some of the players in terms of their development. AJ hasn't hit on all of them, but he's done a very admirable job. We have to seize this moment, since there are so many good teams in the league and when you have everything clicking in all 3 phases like we are, you only get so many shots. I would love nothing more, just like the rest of you here on this board to reward LT, this city and us faithful fans with the most coveted prize in professional sports. That's the ultimate goal that Lombardi and we are so close to winning it. Let's get this thing done! But first things first, time to bring down those JESTS! Lol.
  6. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    I think most of them mean LT's window...
  7. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings Received:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    The only Window that is closing soon is LT's career and that used to be tied to the chargers SB window. Now that the entire O is not on top of LT's shoulders, that is not the case anymore.
  8. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    Simms is an exception, not the rule, as a great, great objective analyst who offers insight and relevant commentary. He and Nantz are the best CBS NFL crew, With Fouts-Enberg being a close second. Every other pair is miles behind. :yes:
  9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    Window hell, it's a hanger door for crying out loud and it ain't closing yet.
  10. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings Received:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I thought the window might close in 2009 or 2010. But we have proven we can win without LT, and we have good young players playing as a team in a team effort.

I honestly don't see why we can't win at least 2 SB's in the next 5 seasons including the current season. From a realistic point of view.
  11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    The window has been kicked wide open. :yes:
  12. YuoGotOwn3d

YuoGotOwn3d New Member

Ratings Received:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    as long as we execute and dont make poor decisions we should be good. :tup:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings Received:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    I'm glad he and Nantz are commentating today.
  14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +406 / 7 / -1
    Windows only close for players. For example this might be LTs last chance.

Organisations that are managed properly, where plans for replacing ageing starters/coaches are in place, there is no limit to how long their 'window' might last.

Good organisations should only need 1 year of 're-building' per se. That is only 1 year where they don't really have the firepower to compete for the big one.

Now Beat the freaking Jets!!. :icon_toast:
  15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,532 / 7 / -2
    Rivers is our QB = Window open