1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Philip Rivers Being Held Back?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,687 / 39 / -8
    http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/a...y_the_play_calling_of_ken_whisenhunt/14613922

The San Diego Chargers got conservative in the second half against the Tennessee Titans on Sunday afternoon and it cost them the game. Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt called plays way too conservatively in the second half of the game which ultimately allowed the Titans to win on a last minute 34 yard touchdown pass from Jake Locker to Justin Hunter.

Being outscored 10-0 in the 4th quarter against the Titans brought back painful thoughts from the week one loss to the Houston Texans in which the Chargers allowed 17 unanswered 4th quarter points to lose 31-28. Obviously what needed to be corrected after the week one loss has yet to be fixed.

In week one the Chargers did not get a first down in the 4th quarter against the Texans and on Sunday in the loss to the Titans the Chargers could only muster one first down in the 4th quarter. That needs to be an alarming statistic to a Chargers offense that has played so well in the first three quarters of their two losses.

The biggest reason behind these problems has been the ineffectiveness of the run game down the stretch. The Chargers averaged 3.8 yards per rush in the game on 27 attempts while only throwing the ball 24 times. Normally you would think that’s a good balance on offense and it sounds like the type of balance that would lead to a win.

However the play calling strayed away from the passing game in the second half. Philip Rivers only attempted six passes in the second half, one in the 4th quarter. The Chargers last possession consisted of seven running plays in attempt to run out the clock, including a run on 3rd and nine which ultimately made the Chargers have to punt back to the Titans with two minutes remaining.

“I’m not going to second-guess the play-calling,” said Chargers head coach Mike McCoy. “We were doing what we thought was best to win the football game.”

Clearly McCoy isn’t going to throw his assistants under the bus, but there’s no doubt he needs to look into the conservation mode when the Chargers have the lead. If this team is going to win games they can’t let off the gas pedal when they have a lead.

New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick has publicly been criticized for “running up the score” on teams in the past because he doesn’t allow his team to let up even with a sizeable lead. I’m not suggesting that what the Patriots have done before is right at all opportunities, but the Chargers are lacking a killer instinct to finish games off when they can put them away.

Rivers has been phenomenal all season long, including Sunday against Tennessee. For Whisenhunt to go away from the Chargers bread and butter, the passing game, he was once again asking to be beat. Why move away from something that has worked so well for the entire game?

Rivers completed 20 of his 24 passes without turning the ball over. Whisenhunt should have had the confidence in his Quarterback to make a play to win the game. You can make a strong case that Rivers is having the second best start to the season of all QB next to Peyton Manning of the Denver Broncos.

Only Manning has a higher passer rating than Rivers’ 116.2. Rivers ranks second in touchdown passes with eight, second in completion percentage at 70 percent and he has the second best touchdown to interception ratio with eight touchdowns and only one interception.

Sometimes you just have to take your shots and that is something the Chargers didn’t do against the Titans. Whisenhunt needs to realize things that need to be changed moving forward with his play-calling.

Maybe it would be best for the Chargers to be behind late in games so Whisenhunt is forced to believe in Rivers. All three Chargers games this year have ended with a winning score in the final minute where whichever team had the ball last won the game.

Hopefully this will spark a killer instinct in the future for the Chargers to know that you cannot allow an NFL team a chance to win the game on the last drive and expect to win when you had your own opportunities to deliver a knockout punch.

The Chargers look to turn things around when they host the Dallas Cowboys at Qualcomm Stadium on Sept. 29.
  2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6

Philip Rivers Being Turtled?
  3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I think Whisenhunt is good for what we need him for right now, which is a transitional OC. I don't really see him as a long-term option (and hopefully some franchise will fall victim to the same line of thinking ours did when we thought Norv had "fixed" Alex Smith as San Fran's OC and hire Wis away in 2014). Now, granted, Wis has shown in the past that he can be that aggressive, run-the-score-up play-caller, as has McCoy, but that's also when both of them had QB's (Warner and Manning respectively) who had more input and latitude in the play-calling and in-game adjustments than most QB's get from their OC's.

And granted, this system is still young here and the core focus of it, compared to last year's offense, has appeared to have minimizing mistakes and turnovers as the primary objective in the second half. Thus far, they've fairly successful in that objective - not entirely, but Rome wasn't built in a day, neither was Temecula (which isn't even MF'n Fresno - points for the movie reference!). And really, we had 4 possessions (not counting the last ditch 17-second effort at the close of the game) in the 2nd half. We scored a TD on one, went 3-and-out on another, and the other two were undone by a sack-for-loss on leading to 3rd-and-long on one and a holding penalty (which also coincided with us losing our starting LT to a concussion on the same play) that set-up 3rd-and-long again - and we'd still moved the chains prior on those two drives.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +251 / 1 / -0
    Honestly, PR is doing way better than last season in my opinion. I love the new offense. Couple plays go our way, couple lame penalties don't get called, we are 3-0...
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    They need M-80 back soon or one of the kids needs to step up yesterday. Offensively this team is weak both passing and running right now, still working out the kinks, lack of experience and talent and I won't bring up the running game.
  6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,687 / 39 / -8
    I agree RD. But the flip side is we are also a few plays from 0-3... ;)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +42 / 4 / -0
    We talked a little about this last night at the Podcast. With RM24. These problems might go hand and hand.. MAYBE.. The coaches are trying to be build confidence (With RM24(FumbleDaBallShortie) and PR (TurnsDaBallOverIhaveNOLINE). PR is looks Heck of Good.... "Prolike".... I'm not ready to count out the Bolts yet. 7 - 9 looks good. right now. Our "defense" isn't helping it.
  8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    I understand the screaming about the playcalling on Sunday, but given the status of the O-line in the 2nd half(down three starters) it's hard to blame Wisenhunt too much. If our starting 5 o-linemen had been in there, I'd like to think we would have been a bit more aggressive in the 4th quarter.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    I don't want to rip Lance off but he is right. Why take the ball out of the best offensive player and the success they were having and turn the game over to the Bolts "Ghost Defense"?. I'm trying to be patient waiting until the 6th game before jumping off the bridge over troubled water. Aggressiveness got them the lead, I was always told "you dance with who brung ya"