1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Philip Rivers: "This is not a setback"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Mar 20, 2006.

1. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +464 / 0 / -0
    Well I can see that we have a tough crowd here. :icon_shrug:
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    Naw we're not tough. It's just all this talk about Rivers doesn't mean much until he can do it on the field and I think he will.
  3. smoothk

smoothk BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    You just got to love a guy that comes out with the confidence he's showing, while not being arrogant. He's also not the one bringing up setback, those are the questions being asked of him. This guy has the ability to stretch the field unlike our old boy Brees. Giving one of the best in the league, L.T., a little more breathing room. In big games Brees was very predictable, and easily defenced. I went bald pulling out my everytime he missed a wide open receiver. It's been proven over and over again, that you win with a solid Defence and a Quarterback that doesn't make alot of mistakes. Not the other way around. :tup:
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Its sad that Charger fans continue to spout BS about the QB who holds the all time Charger records for TDs in back to back seasons, passing yards in back to back seasons, and I believe wins in back to back seasons.

Sad that this weak armed, peaked, too short, predicatable QB who dismantled New England, and Indy and is one of the best in Charger history is ridiculed and looked down upon by the mensas of our fans... The same QB who owned the Raiders collective arses for how many consecutive years?

Sad indeed that they mock, and tear down one of our best QBs the chargers have had. Really makes our team look good that the 'too short, weak armed. peaked, predictable' QB is one of the best. What would you great football minds have said about Fouts? You probably would have run him out of town on a rail too.

I hope your all right, because it will be a damn bitter pill if we find that our fickle fans couldnt back the one QB who in the past 10 years brought us some respect and stability. PR better be the football mesiah he is painted to be. Because I for one am sick of the team 'rebuilding' and taking steps backwards and selling it to us as improvements and expecting us to swallow it.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    Great post Conc! :yes:
  6. NYchargerfan

NYchargerfan New Member

Ratings Received:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    I dont think everyone mocks and tears him down. I for one appreciate what DB did while he was here. But I also think his agent is a scumbag and he has not exactly handled himself with class in his exit. I realize he feels slighted, but he needed to understand the dynamics of the business end of this situation.

Drew seems to have taken it personally and it shouldnt have been that. After all it is still a business. Right or wrong, the Chargers FO did what they thought was right. I still think New Orleans overpaid as well. And I dont care that were not doing anything with the cap space we have. We have been taking care of our own, and not throwing the money at an injured player who may not fully recover till midseason.

Its just how I see it.
    • Like Like x 4
  7. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings Received:
    +454 / 0 / -0
    What?...:icon_blur:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +434 / 2 / -1
    I havent tried to tear Drew down but I have been realistic. The guy has a massive heart and puts in more time than any other player I know. He has a winning spirit. He has been in my opinion, one of the top 3 QB's we have ever had (Fouts and Humphries being the other). I look back over the past 4 years and I know that there are some moments DB gave us that are almost irreplaceable. Throwing blocks downfield for LT, making passes that he shouldnt have been able to make, and bringing our team into the National limelight. I don't like the way the FO has treated him over the last 2 years and I think Marty should be fined for trying to use DB (and getting him hurt) to get his 10th win and his bonus at the end of this year. But...

Drew IMHO, has reached the peak of what his talent and the talent of our team can take us. He does not have the size or arm to make some of the throws we need to push our offense to the next level. I agree our offense is extremely potent right now. But with the lack of output from our secondary, we need to score points earlier and faster than we can now. I am not saying the PR will do that for us from day 1, but the kid has for more athletic skill and talent then Drew does. He is huge, has a stronger arm (Although in no way does he have an Elway/Farve type gun), has better field vision (At least as far as College went) and a much bigger upside.

In the end, the deal is done. A.J. made the call. The Chargers new starting QB will be Philip Rivers and as I am a massive Charger fan and season ticket holder, I will back him. I will cheer him on, pull for him to make DB look like a third string QB on the 49ers, and make sure he knows I think the choice to go with him was right. As fans of the team, thats the least we can do for him. Philip did not create the situation he is in. I am sure he believed he would be starting from day 1, 2 years ago. But he has bided his time, put in the practice and film room time and its his turn to try and take us to the promise land. And once we get there, none of this 1995 49er vs. Charger fall to pieces ****. We get there, and we kick there asses up and down the field. And hopefully, DB and the Saints will be on the other side of the field looking like Humphries and Means did after the Steve Young shalacking of us.
    • Like Like x 4
  9. eastcoastboltgal

eastcoastboltgal BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +695 / 0 / -0
    Is PR married? If not, he should be dating the head cheerleader!:yes:
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    Yes he's married. He has two kids and another one due in July. :icon_mrgreen:
  11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    and, if you listened to the Double XX radio interview with Scott and BR, he will have more coming after that
    • Like Like x 2
  12. smoothk

smoothk BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Guys please don't get me wrong. Brees was decent Quarterback with good numbers 2 years ago and mediocure numbers last year. He's not a 10 million dollar per year player. He played his hand and the Chargers played there's and we will all have to live with it. But I trust A.J. and think he's done a good job building us a foundation. Can anybody tell me a big game he's won for us. How many playoff games has he won for us? Has he ever consistently hit the wide open deep receiver. Brees was a Charger and I will always appreciate the season he gave us 2 years ago. But he's no 10 mil guy.
    All I hope is Rivers becomes our version of Big Ben.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings Received:
    +454 / 0 / -0
    We all HOPE Philip is as good as his hype...
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Agreed, I have nothing against Philip and will back him as rabidly as I did Drew.

But I gotta wonder at the mindset of those people who knock Drew, say he has peaked etc... Do they watch football? Do they think the records lie? Do they think the national media that makes money off of the NFL dont know what they are talking about?

I know 90% of the people who now bash Drew, say he wasnt good, he was mediocre, he couldnt win a game etc. They will be saying the same stuff about Philip, and as with Drew it will be in disregard of the facts.

Just my opinion.
  15. smoothk

smoothk BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My friend we are all Charger Fans here, I am not bashing Drew. But the facts and records that you speak of did not come from playoff caliber teams. I'm sure both you and I would agree we had more than enough to challenge those playoff teams last year. But in 5 out of the 7 loses we had last year we the lead going into the 4th quarter. So if you want to give him all the credit for 2 years ago, where is the blame for all those crazy loses last year. I can't even speak on the media, they are biggest band wagon jumpers. Remember how stupid they said we were when we traded Vick, got L.T. Then picked Eli, got Merriman. All those moves worked in our favor. Hopefully this one will too.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    So what caused the breakdown in the 4th quarter? Is it your opinion that it was Drew?

Was it Drew that went into hybernation calling predictably all year long run, run, pass in the fourth quarter? It was Drew that could not open a hole in four attempts in Dallas? It was Drew that alllowed the opposition to come from behind and score those points? Was it Drew that let the Eagle in to block the field goal and couldnt stop him from running it back? What is ACTUALLY Drew's fault, and what is it that you and other Charger fans are putting on his shoulders that should not be there?

The TEAM lost those games, not just the QB. The fact is that Drew was a very good QB on this team, you can say he lost this, or that. Bottom line, the O put up points, Drew hold records for this team. He is one of three good QBs we have fielded in near 30 years.

The contention that those records do not come from playoff calibur teams is rediculous. Was Denver a playoff caliber team while Drew was here? KC? Indi? Pittsburgh? New England? New York Jets? Jacksonville? Atlanta? Tampa Bay? Those were not playoff calibur teams? Are we watcing the same team? Is there something I am missing? Icould understand this highbrow attitude if we had a history of Montana's, Young's, Bradshaw's etc on our team. But we dont. We have a history of Moreno's, Salisbury's, Leaf's, Frieezs', etc. We have a history of poor QB play, so where does this attitude that the QB has to win games, and be perfect come from? Why do we not hold every position to that standard?

So how long until the Charger fans start expressing disapointment in PR?

Also, these posts are not soley pointed at you. Several people here have made the comments. Heck in the pod casts we are told Drew Brees peaked. So I am responding to the fan base as a whole.

Also, please do not take this as an attack or arguement. You are welcome to your opinion of Drew, I am just stating my opinion and how it is derived.
  17. smoothk

smoothk BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Time out man, this is no pissing contest were on the same team with different views of the XQB. But Brees was not good until the 04 season. If you were look at the record you would see that it was a last place schedule. Also you would see that even though we had a 12-5 record, we were under
    .500 when going against playoff teams of the previous year.
    You mentioned Denver, were 1-3 against Denver the last 4 games. Then KC, they havn't seen the playoff in a couple years. Indy were 1-1 against. Pittsburgh just killed us on MNF. New England a damn good team we have winning record against. The Jets in 04 spanked us twice, last year they were garbage and still almost beat us. Jacksonville beat us in 04. Atlanta and Tampa Bay are NFC wild card teams.
    I'm trying to understand why you want the line to open holes, when the QB had the ball for four straight downs at the end of that Dallas game last year. Yeah he's the one that threw the game ending int.
    Listen man, everyone knows it's not his fault alone. But he and his agent were asking for 10 mil per. If your the Chargers, you've got to think about your finances in that position. You can not pay that man that money when he has a bumb shoulder and there is a possible capible backup on the bench. Is it a gamble? Hell Yes. Do we want to take it? Hell No, but we have no choice.
    We as Charger fans still have the memories of all the Bobby Bethard personel mistakes at QB. So we have a pretty low expectation. Truth be told when you think of a good QB in this league Brees is not a name that quickly comes to your mind. As a Charger fan I want a QB that people fear. That's hard to gameplan for, that throws on target deep. I PR that guy? I have No Clue. But I know Brees is not.

GO CHARGERS
  18. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Well, most of the people who make their living off of the NFL disagree with the bolded comment. Theisman, Simms, and a host of other rate him as one of the top QBs. We will find out this yeat if Cam's system made Drew or the other way around.

For my experience eatching the NFL, Drew is a good QB, will help the Saints, and has not peaked.

Rivers, I dont see the things in him I saw in Drew as a young player. Not the confidence behind the center, not the smooth feet. In fact he has tripped over his own feet twice that I recall. I am hoping that goes away and he is half the football god eveyone is painting him to be. Regardless I will back the starting QB for the bolts.

I just wonder at the mentalities that belittle or disregard what Drew has doen for the team, and what he has acomplished.
  19. smoothk

smoothk BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Good job Bro. You have made me look a the situation a little bit different

Go CHARGERS!!!!!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Well then, enough about Drew. Lets get on to Rivers.

How do you see him panning out? I hope with practice he will do well.
  21. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +464 / 0 / -0
    Conc, I can still tell that you do not believe. For Philip to do well, you must believe with all of your heart. There must be no doubt. You must defend Philip from the over zealous Brees fans as well with your life. Only after you truly believe, will Philip go on to be successful.

Its all up to you.

THE CHOSEN ONE HAS ARRIVED. THOSE THAT DO NOT BELIEVE WILL SOON SEE FOR THEMSELVES !!! :icon_banana:

GO CHARJAHS !!
    • Like Like x 2
  22. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    I'm supporting Rivers, but I'm still waiting to see it on the field. Rivers is going to make mistakes, but as long as he learns from those mistakes, he'll do fine. He definately has the tools.
  23. smoothk

smoothk BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Man, I just hope that he able to transfer all the tools that he's shown us to become a productive and feared QB in this league. He's seems to be the kind of guy who wants to put in extra work with the receivers and film room to become that guy. By just watching how he answer all the questions, it seems he wants to prove the Chargers made the right decision. I'm glad we have the SORRY *** RAIDERS to start with, he should feel pretty cosey in the backfield with those guys rushing us.

P.S. F... the RAIDERS!!!!!!

GO CHARGERS!!!!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Leaf was the chosen one to. He needs to bring it, not sing it. He needs to show me. What I have seen from him at this level is disapointing at best. I will support him, but I will not blindly salavate all over him because he is from the south or has a bunch of people doing PR work for him.
  25. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +820 / 0 / -0
    Leaf was the annointed one, big difference. All anyone could take about with Leaf was his physical talent. With Rivers there is so much more. He is a leader, he has more maturity than Leaf ever had, and he is a fierce competitor.

You should be ashamed of yourself for even comparing the two.:trout:
  26. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Why? Has he proven anything at this level yet?:icon_tease:
  27. sdchrger

Ratings Received:
    +820 / 0 / -0
    That's everyone in the history of the game. No he hasn't proven anything at this level. Can you tell me which NFL QB with no career starts has?:icon_high:
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Thats my point. You guys seem to want everyone to bend over and take one from your golden child. He will do this, he is that. You guys are talking out your arses.

Phil needs to show us what he can do. Not tell us what he can do, or have his zealot fans tell us. I took the same route with every Charger QB, including Drew. So until Rivers shows us anything he could be a Leaf. So far in his NFL game experience I havent see the spark everyone is talking about. No greatness, no god-like abilities. Just poor play from the position. I am hoping he will work that all out in mini camps and training camps. He doesnt have Brian Schotenheimer anymore so that might be a plus. But he still needs to show it.

Nuff said.
  29. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    The argument could be made however that QBs who played in Canada first...

NAAAAAHHH!
  30. sdchrger

Ratings Received:
    +820 / 0 / -0
    No reason to get your jamambo sized undies in a bunch. :no: I merely was taking exception to your comparison of Rivers to Leaf. That's about as apt as comparing him to Big Ben right now.

We both agree that his NFL production level is a complete unknown.