1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Phillip's arm an issue?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by PanchoX1, Oct 30, 2012.

1. PanchoX1

PanchoX1 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +55 / 2 / -0
    "According to Mike Silver of Yahoo, there is a belief amongst some executives and coaches that there is something wrong with Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers‘ throwing arm.
    “Specifically, I wonder whether something is wrong with quarterback Philip Rivers’ throwing arm, and I know some league executives and coaches who have similar suspicions,” Silver wrote.
    Rivers struggled during Sunday’s loss against the Browns. He completed just 18-34 passes for 154 yards. Through the Chargers first seven games this season, Rivers is averaging career-worst 6.8 yards per attempt. On top of that, he has also turned the ball over 12 times.
    Last year, there was a lot of speculation that Rivers was playing hurt, but he insisted that he was 100 percent. Rivers will need to find a way to right the ship as the Chargers have lost three games in a row and four of their last five."

Anybody else hear anything to support this theory?
  2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I think that it's more likely that the 40 MPH winds he was throwing in, combined with never being able to set his feet are more likely to have been causes of problems against the Browns.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +405 / 7 / -1
    The issue is AJ and Norv, nothing wrong with his arm imho.

Fire those 2 idiots ASAP.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Old Old x 1
  4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,531 / 7 / -2
    The play calling hasn't helped either. If we would f'n stop with the F*** IT IM GOIN DEEP every other play and went to some shorter routes his % and ypp would go up, as would his ability to stay upright and avoid the rush since our line is dogshit.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    WOW Rivers only threw for a 154 yards. But when compared to Weeden he only threw for a 129 yards. So now who has the better arm?
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    No. Philip has always had a weaker arm, even in the days VJ had to stop his route and come back to catch the ball. I'm more worried about those throws over the middle that are WAY off target.

He needs to work with that pithing coach Tom House, the guy who helped Brady, Brees, Rodgers etc... get more zip. Went to the Tom House pitching camp myself as a kid, the guy is harsh, but he knows his ****.
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    I'd look more at
    1) Weather (vs Browns)
    2) Foot work/Happy feet (due to horrible OL)
    3) Asinine Receivers
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +428 / 2 / -1
    Throwing speed and accuracy has as much to do with your arm and shoulders as it does with your waist and your legs. If you dont turn your waist through the throw, you get a loss of velocity and more of a shot put effect. If you dont (or in Philips case) can't step into a throw due to bodies all around you, you get a loss of velocity and you tend to hang balls, or drive them into the dirt. Every QB from Pop Warner on is taught to never throw off your back foot and that seems to be the place Philip is living. The funny thing here is that last year we were complaining about the tackles, but Philip didnt have as many issues with it because when the tackle gets beat he could step up into the pocket and make an accurate throw. Now that the biggest issue is through the guards, the pocket is breaking down in front of him which means he cant step into a throw when the blitz is on, and we know he does not have the escapability to get out of the pocket and make the throw down field. And yes he has major happy feet right now due to the pressure he is absorbing every game.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +47 / 1 / -0
    It became noticeable last season...and I think Rivers is making some horrible decisions. Whether it's play calling or what have you, Rivers is essentially throwing up balls for grabs more and more and out of those passes, he is getting picked off, or nearly so, more and more. You factor this in with the fact that it does seem as if Rivers has lost his accuracy on deep passes and it most certainly resembles the type of play Rivers has exhibited for more than a season now, imo.
  10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    He's definitely throwing more balls up for grabs, but that has nothing to do with his arm strength. The velocity issue on his passes all comes back to the line, which is of course also the source of his decision making issues as well.
  11. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Weather? Like his arm was stellar in New Orleans and home against Denver?
    I'm pretty sure the NFL guys didn't base this observation on the Cleveland game alone.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +766 / 5 / -0
    Maybe is Norv is hanging onto Philip's arm as he throws the ball... More myths...
  13. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
    Philip's biggest problem is his arm is connected to his brain. ;)
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    His arm may be an issue.

Could also be his lack of accuracy, mobility, timing, and his poor decision making and footwork.
  15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    His accuracy and velocity go into the toilet when he throws off his back foot, like every NFL QB, ever. The question people need to be asking isn't what's wrong with his arm, it's what's wrong with his feet, and the answer, is, he can't step up in the pocket and has happy feet from the constant sacking.
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    You'd think a QB guru like Norv could fix his mechanics...if absolutey nothing else. Further evidence of his lack of purpose here.
  17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,548 / 44 / -6
    Give it a rest. None of us have any clue as to the problem with the Chargers and acting like you do is foolish. The only thing for sure is that something is wrong and their record and play speaks for its self.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    For some reason I swear this same article - or maybe it was one from the UT - noted that whereas QB's are taught, in an effort to get the rhythm going that allows them to step into those throws, to use a single hitch-step in their throwing motion. That same article put on the tape and noted that Rivers is taking two, three, sometimes as many as five hitch-steps because he keeps end up with a new defender coming at him from a different direction with each passing second.
    I'm not defending his decision-making (nor are you, so far as I can tell) - which has taken a nose-dive in recent years. But the lack of velocity is poor mechanics, much of which is attributable to the porous line and lack of proper protection, but also due to the decision-making in the sense that Rivers continues to try to press too much instead of just throwing the ball away.
  19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    To be fair to the man, I'd contend he probably could, but he's stretched himself too thin as he's the de facto OC in addition to being the HC; the guy bit off more than he could chew once again. When all he had to worry about was formulating an offensive gameplan and running practices for the offensive personnel, for instance in San Francisco, he had more time to single out an individual player and work with him on something like mechanics. A HC doesn't have the time to do that - and so his failure in this respect is one to hire a competent QB coach who would recognize and correct this kind of stuff.
  20. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +766 / 5 / -0
    Proves my theory that anyone can be a reporter, even the unqualified...
  21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Michael Silver is right there with TJ Simers as one of the biggest embarrassments to the journalism trade. I swear I'm still waiting on that 2nd positive PED test from Merriman he claimed to have inside information on.
  22. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 1 / -0
    The chargers showed a lot of heart in each game so far this year and only came up a little short in a few of them.
  23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,548 / 44 / -6
    They're trying, I have no doubt about that.
  24. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +259 / 4 / -2
    Do you realize your advocating the elimination of 80% of all posts on the board? :p
    • Like Like x 1
  25. powayslugger

powayslugger Optimistic for 2013

Ratings Received:
    +134 / 3 / -0
    Meacham doesn't drop that ball and no one's talking about Rivers' arm.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  26. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 1 / -0
    To quote a much respected American “Youbetcha”. They are trying really hard!
    They have fell on some unfortunate luck, but I’m sure this week they will rally and win one for the gipper! Gipper = Norv!
  27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,548 / 44 / -6
    That's 80% less bullshit to deal with, hell, the elections covers about as much as I can stand and then some. I come here because football is supposed to be fun, not bullshit.
  28. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    That will never happen because Norvaratu isn't harsh, Rivers would get shell shocked if some one actually yelled at him.,
  29. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +47 / 1 / -0
    You are aware this is a Chargers forum? Watch them play and you will see why many of their fans are not having fun and are sick of the bullshit the team has become.

These forums often reflect the coach team.
  30. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +766 / 5 / -0
    Maybe the towels had something to do with the way he was throwing and the way the receivers were attempting to catch those balls. The biggest thing is that Philip and his receivers are off-target, either Philip is throwing behind, over, or too low to the WR's, and the WR's aren't where they are supposed to be.