1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Players on Thumper's radar for the 2007 draft.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Thumper, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    These are in no particular order and it's a long way out, so things can change. But here is who I'm watching at this point.

-Jarrett Hicks, WR, Texas Tech, 6'3" - 210lbs. (Senior)
    http://texastech.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hicks_jarrett00.html
    He has good size, plus the speed to be a deep threat. Gets good seperation from defenders. Runs crisp routes. He also has very good body control and can use his body to block defends from making a play on the ball. Negatives: doesn't maximize his yards after catch. Will go out of bounds rather than take a big hit.

-Joe Thomas, OL, Wisconsin, 6'8" - 313lbs. (Senior)
    http://www.uwbadgers.com/sport_news/fb/bios/bio.aspx?id=Thomas_Joe_fb
    He tore his ACL during the last game of the season in '05 when filling in on the defensive line. The injury is still a question, but it apears that he'll be 100% for the 2006 season. He's got size, stength, good footwork and good run blocking technique. He really powers into his blocks. If his knee proves solid this season, expect him to be a top 5 pick in 2007.

-Sam Baker, OL, USC, 6'5" - 305lbs. (Junior)
    http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/baker_sam00.html
    Winston Justice may play LT in the NFL, but at USC Baker already had that spot locked down. He has the size and athleticism to play LT in the NFL. USC lost several OL players in this draft, so this season will be pivitable to see if Baker can solidify a young OL group.

-Dan Mozes, OL, West Virginia, 6'4" - 290lbs. (Senior)
    http://www.msnsportsnet.com/profile.cfm?id=100091
    Can play G or C positions. Might just be the highest rated interior OL player in the 2007 draft. Not super physically dominant, but makes up for it with great footwork, terrific technique, and football smarts. Has had some nagging injuries the past two seasons, but was able to play with the pain. Shows heart and passion for the game, plus a little tenacity thrown in.

I will profile other draft prospects though out the season. Feel free to comment on any of my takes whether you think I'm right on or totally off base.
  2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    Bring the BEEF! One more OL player to watch in '06.

-Jake Long, OL, Michigan, 6'7" - 330lbs. (Senior)
    http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=162&p=8&c=1&nid=2009617
    Has had foot and ankle injuries that have kept him from reaching his projected potential. Has been playing RT for Michigan, but this year moves to the all important LT position. He is reportedly injury free and in the best condition of his life. Reports from Michigan insiders report that he has really developed into a leadership role on the OL. This is the season that he really needs to shine to move up the draft board. He's got the size and talent, but must stay away from the nagging injuries that have slowed him down the past two seasons.
  3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    One more to watch:

-Frank Okam, DT, University of Texas, 6'5" - 315lbs. (Junior)
    http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=15&change_well_id=17&member_id=64
    Jamal William needs a solid backup and air apparent. Could Frank Okam be the guy? He's got the size and strength to take on two blockers and really clog up the middle. Besides clogging the middle, he reads QBs well and has the size to knock down passes and generally rattle the QB. Jamal Williams is the foundation of our front seven and in my opinion the most irreplaceable member of that group. It would be a huge score if the Chargers could get Frank Okam as Jamal's understudy. I'm really hyped on this kid and would be stoked if we could land him. Having a strong backup for Jamal isn't a luxury, but an important need for this teams future. I think Frank Okam could fill the role nicely.
  4. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings Received:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    To me he is always like a Big Rattle Snake that he tells the QB what is comming from him rattling and puts the fear in QB's that have faced him. Okam might not be a sack machine but helps someone else to strike for the sack that has been my opinion on a big monster like Okam. He is one of my sleeper picks as well if he is declaring for the draft next year.
  5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    If he declares, I'm all over this kid. What a great backup to Jmal he'd make. he can clog the middle, and bull rush the oline right into the QB. He's someone the offense hs to account for. He might not have huge numbers in San Diego's sytem, but his role would be pivitable, It's a long time until the draft, so nothing is certain, but looking at him now, I'd love to see him in a bolt uniform
  6. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings Received:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    I got you there and I agree he will never have the numbers but his contributions would be priceless plus what I failed to mention in my last post is that he forces the QB out of the pocket a lot to allow someone else to either sack or force the QB to scramble out to gain little yardage up field until someone else tackles the QB instead Okam making the tackle.

This is Okams only knock is when someone gets past the LOS Okam very rarely makes any tackles at the point of attack if it is at his direction but conversely he gets blocked by a minimum of 2 O linemen to allow a LBer to make the play afterwards in most instances.

So my peepers are a watching the Kid and I hope that he declares in 2007 then I hope AJ calls and says with the San Diego's selection in the 2007 draft San Diego Selects Frank Okam DT University of Texas. :tup: :yes: