1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

players who will be drafted high and disappoint the team that drafted them

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Feb 22, 2012.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,104 / 34 / -21
    Its not about 1 vs the other, they're both different style players. I think Bryant compares more to a Roddy White, where Blackmon seems more like a Terrell Owens to me. He has enough speed, good route running, good hands, uses his body to get seperation, and lives on YAC.

I wouldn't take him in the top 10, but if he fell to us at 18....
  2. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    ehh idk, my problem with blackmon is while he has good hands and the ability to run routes great. He doesnt have the break away speed or seperation speed as if he got match up against darell revis. I also think Blackmon is way to overhyped. I dont think he will produce like people think, He's not gonna be terrell owens, He's more of a michael jenkins in my eyes
  3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    You would take a WR at 18 to catch 2 balls a game? **Shoots self**
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,104 / 34 / -21
    I'd consider it. Given Gates seemes to be on borrowed time and Floyd is always injured. Even if we re-sign VJ we'll need a 2nd option so he doesn't get double teamed all the time, and Blackmon at 18 is a fair value as he was a dominant college player. You also got to consider who is on the board with him, I think guys like Upshaw, Ingram, DeCastro, Keuchley, Reiff, and Martin could all easily be gone.

BTW I love how everyone around here is all about best player available....until its at a position they don't think we need.:p
  5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I believe in best player available at positions worth using a first round selection on. We absolutely need to retool our WR corps, but that doesn't have anything to do with the value of a WR.
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,104 / 34 / -21
    Are you saying you just don't think Blackmon is good? Because thats a completely different conversation.
  7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I'm saying that unless a WR is a once in a generation talent, that he's not worth taking in the first round, and even then that's dubious. I don't think that drafting a "good" WR in the 1st is worthwhile. For a WR to merit a 1st, they need to be Megatron quality, and even then taking one top 5 is, to me, questionable.

No WR is worth a 1st in this draft. There are at least 2 guys who will be drafted in the first round this year, but that doesn't make them worth a first round pick for the impact they'll have.
  8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Even Megatron is questionable.

96 receptions, 158 targets.

Stafford

421 completions, 663 attempts.

25% is pretty low for a 1st overall pick throwing to the 2nd overall pick.
  9. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,104 / 34 / -21
    Yet not bad for a guy that teams double cover all the time. They won 10 games this year in a hell of a tough division with a completely 1 dimentional offense and a below average defense.

Imagine if the Lions ever develop a running game, they'll be dominant as teams are forced to bring more men in the box to compensate. And now they can spend all their available resources into addressing the defense and running game.
  11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I'm not hating on Megatron at all. I am, however, looking at the ROI for the pick. The 2nd overall is worth many, many picks. When you use it on a WR, even if it's a dominant one like he is, you're still getting crushed on value. Megatron was paid some rediculous number like 20 million this season. for 1/6 of the team's cap I would hope he's more than 25% of targets and total offense.

He's absolutely dominant, but what they're paying him is destroying their team.
  12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    That's the problem, they have no available resources because something like 1/2 of their cap is invested in Suh, Megatron, and Stafford.
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,104 / 34 / -21
    Fair enough point as they are concerned, and the rookie wage scale will prevent this in the future.

But it has nothing to do with avoiding WRs in the 1st round. There have been a lot of busts over the last decade because there have been a lot of reaches over that time, WRs who never were 1st round talents who were selected only because they had a fast 40 time. I don't see Blackmon as being one of those guys. And if he did incredibly fall to us at 18 I would have a hard time watching us pass on him unless there is someone else that I really like on the board.
  14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Poe is going to be a monster, even if he will require some grooming.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 3 / -0
    I want that kid a Charger!!!
  16. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    hes all hype, just because hes a physical freak dont really mean anything, there are plenty of combine warriors who bust in the nfl
  17. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    My reason for avoiding a receiver in the 1st is the same as my reason for avoiding a RB in the 1st. The ROI on the player doesn't merit the pick.
  18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    True.

This kid is going to succeed.