1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Playoff nightmare still haunts Parker

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    Both of them are scrubs ......

Let me be as succinct as possible ...... they suck ****.
  2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    I sense a disturbance in your force.

It must be cow mating season again. :lama

My boys are going to show you and the rest of your legion of haters that your karma was......fuc't up for the moment.

Mark me words. :helm1:
  3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    AJ is thinking about Rivers, Merriman and Rivers now, which is why he will not raid Fort Knox for Florence, with Cromartie on the roster. Olshansky, who I am inordiantely fond of because he has such thrasos and pure strength, is probably the least difficult to replace on the line, as much as I would really, really like to keep him. Guys might be willing to adjust contracts for Rivers and Merriman and even Cromartie if he performs the way I think he will, but Olshansky is one of those road hazards that break shock absorbers but don't wreck cars. Personally I think he's a guy the rest can pivot around when he's teamed next to a guy like Jamal. He's the machine gun nest that can limit your options or the IED that can blow your *** smithereens if you don't pay attention to detail. That, however, can change. This year, he and Jamal could seal off the right side of the defensive line like one of those sticky rat traps that wake you up at two in the morning when the hairy little bastard starts to flop around in the dead of night, while the cat decides to feed on the exposed parts of the poor creature.
  4. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    Getting close to time for Mr. Big Nuts to boink his harem. The calves were born a couple weeks ago, so the ladies will be receptive to his advances soon. Just the other day I saw him stick his head under one of the cows tails while she was peeing and get himself a drink to check on readiness.

Osgood is a special teams dude only. Hart is a backup scrub.
  5. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    I doubt AJ gives Florence the money he is going to demand on the open market and he will walk at the end of the season, especially with Cromartie behind him. I would love for it to happen, but with those other guys needing extensions soon, i dont see it happening.

As for Igor, i dont get it, do you want him to get an extension or not? I couldnt tell if you were saying he was a beast or if he was a guy who is easily replaceable

personally, i think the guy is a beast and not a guy we can afford to lose. He a great end for the 3-4 defense and is perfect for our defense.

Him/Jamal/Castillo form the best 3-4 DL in football
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,447 / 19 / -4
    As much as it pains me I do agree being a huge Igor fan that he's probably a borderline player unless he wants to agree to less money (which he might want to, idk)
  7. Retired Catholic

Ratings Received:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    I'd love to have him stay, but Castillo and Williams are far less expendable than Igor. The guys a rock. We have all kinds of key guys signed to agreements but right now we have less cap room than I thought we'd have six months ago. If we sign him, then we have to drop some of the depth behind the starting front three to make room for the contract. Bean counting gives me migraines. We have no gaping holes in our starting line up and an unusually young roster for such a wealth of talent. Without inside knowledge of the team, I would speculate that we could lighten up on next years draft and trade for and sign Faneca for the OL and then tie up Igor for a longer period of time. If we got Faneca, a lineman wouldn't be as high a priority next year so I'd maybe go the George Allen route short term and fill needs with vets like Faneca that have a few years left. It's probable that we could get him for less than a high draft pick next year, unless we're drafting dead last. Allen tried to fill most of his roster that way but his team got too old to fast. It's numbers, pure numbers. I'm for expanding the cap and the active roster and shrinking the taxi squad. The present system is a Rube Goldberg mess. It forces us to make scut choices. If wishes were horses then paupers would ride and I wish for a way to keep Igor (being a bit of a pauper myself, thanks to ex wives, bless their larcenous hearts).
  8. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    Call me crazy (and I'm sure people will) but the odd-man-out on the extended contracts could end up being Merriman. I don't think he's the dominant force so many people make him out to be. He gets a lot of sacks, which is great, but he's not as good as his reputation. Maybe he will be, but he is too easily neutralized by teams willing to kick out a tackle to block him at this point, and he's still fairly one-dimensional. Don't get me wrong--he's a very good player--but many are talking about him being the best defensive player in the NFL, practically another Lawrence Taylor, and I don't see it quite that way. Pro-bowler? Yes. But he's not going to be worth being the top-paid defensive player in the NFL. Two or three years from now we may find ourselves facing a decision--pay Merriman $12 to $14 million a year and lose three or four solid vets, or let Merriman walk and keep the bulk of the defense intact.

I'm sure he'll be offered an extension somewhere along the way, but Merriman's not the kind of cat I can picture accepting a cap-friendly contract. He's a good teammate but I also think he has visions of grandeur...
  9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 7 / -2
    QFT

LAst season is done. Let's put a fork in it and revel at what is at hand.

The time has come for us to hoist that which is most precious to us all as Charger fans: The Lombardi will be ours.
  10. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Do we have a problem signing players? Whats this talk?
  11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575 / 44 / -6
    Wow, I think inexperience killed us against the Patsies not one player but the whole damn team.:bolt2:
  12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    I have heard that from a lot of people, and I am not sure I buy it. There are a lot of teams that come into the playoffs and win without having the 'playoff experience'.

The Pats as I remember, their first superbowl they did not have a lot of 'playoff experience', they just came in hot. Dallas' first superbowl under Aikman?

I think 'playoff experience' is good to have, but not needed. I think the team was over amped and the game plan our coaches put together was vanilla.

JMO
  13. Retired Catholic

Ratings Received:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    Considering the players we've drafted this year have the potential to be real frontline talents, Merriman will get a test both from the roster and from the schedule we play this season. We're going to get a definitive read on our defense in the first two games. We have time to see just how good the man is, although actually breaking the season sack record he has a shot at should convince most skeptics. I am not a Merriman skeptic.
  14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Its 6 of one way, and a half dozen of the other way. I would rather have an expierenced playoff team, then one that is not.
  15. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    Not really. We've won 3 of our last 4 games coming off the bye.
  16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    The Pat's first SB experience, they got lit up by Da Bears!! :icon_eek: :yes:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    :rolleyes: :lol:
  18. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,069 / 30 / -0
    I can't imagine anyone being a Merriman skeptic. The guy returned from his suspension and was dominant against Buffalo, against Denver, and, perhaps most impressively, against Seattle and Walter Jones.

To suggest that Merriman won't get an extension is ludicrous. He's one of the best defensive players to enter the league in the last several years. He can dominate equally with speed or power. He's amazingly athletic. He's a hardworking, student of the game. And he has the drive to be the best. If I was cloning defensive players, I'd start with Merriman. He has the perfect temperament and the perfect physical attributes to be dominant for years to come.

Barring injury, Merriman is going to have a Hall of Fame career.
  19. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575 / 44 / -6

You see it white, I see it black. For as long as I've been a fan of this game, some 40 years now playoff experience has always been a big factor. Sure Cinderella comes along every once in a while but to have that "dynasty" it takes seasoned vet's and experience. We had many 1st, 2nd & 3rd year players that have now grown one year older and much more wiser. Hell, I'd love nothing more than to be the first team ever to win three straight Lombardi's.:bolt2:
  21. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,069 / 30 / -0
    If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'.

One positive test out of about 50 means one of two things: either Merriman "accidentally" ingested some anabolic steroids, or he is really good at masking his use most of the time.

Whatever the case, if Merriman's on the field, he will dominate. Speculation will abound about how he's doing it, but who gives a ****. If he passes the tests, Merriman will be a Hall of Fame player. Obviously, I expect him to pass the tests.
  22. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    KMA - go back to hatin on McNeill....:lol:
  23. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    they will draft a 3-4 DE next year... that can rush the passer...:lol:
  24. Retired Catholic

Ratings Received:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    I'm wichu. Merriman is a game changer, but there appears to be at least one fan who is not convinced yet, who has the illusion that it's all some sort of steroid induced mirage. Personally, I think that just maybe I'd already be talking to him and Igor both. This defense, especially if Weddle earns a starting job, is going to maul every team they face. In Weddle's case, I'm sure the corners will let the coaches know who they want to have their backs. I might be wrong on a closer look, but it appears to me there isn't a single offensive line in the league that isn't faced with a couple of overmatched players when they face our front seven and the way that the defensive staff are scheming the formations. After you account for Jamal Williams and Castillo, there are still Merriman and phillips or Cooper and Wilhelm to worry about. That ties up the whole blocking package with two guys left to spare because both Williams and Castillo will draw double teams. I haven't even mentioned Igor. I keep looking at the field in my mind and every time I do, I keep seeing two uncovered guys who are free to blitz any given play if we man up-and Cottrell says he going to be much more aggressive than we were last year. It also gives us the ability, I hope, to double cover one receiver and still blitz with a guy that the other team won't be able to account for before the snap.

The left side of our O line can man up on just about every other team in the league, so even if we have to double up on the right side, there's Manumaleuna and Lorenzo available to take on linebackers on running plays or blitzers on the passing downs. I haven't had this kind of anticipation since Fouts was in his hayday. For the first two games, neither Chicago or New England will have any read on tendencies, since both offenses are very different.

2-0 :abq2: :abq2: :abq2: :abq2: :abq2: :abq2: :abq2:
  25. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680 / 0 / -0

So is it a coincidence that Shawne said he wants to "lose over ten pounds" during this offseason? :icon_shrug:
  26. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    McNeill has proven himself in the NFL.

Osgood can't beat NFLE scrubs in the preseason. He's going to be a borderline bubble player every year to make the roster because he is incapable of giving anything at the WR position.
  27. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    Like I said...Merriman's a very good player. He fits perfectly into our defensive scheme. When you're tasked to rushing the passer 75% of the time in a defense like ours you should be able to rack up sacks--especially if you're an excellent athlete like Merriman. The question to me isn't whether he'll be offered an extension but will he sign an extension like most of our other veterans have signed--one that makes him rich but is also cap-friendly and less than he would make on the open market. Is he worth being paid 50% more than LT, which is likely what he would command if he went to free-agency? If people insist he's the best defensive player in the NFL and he insists on being paid as the best defensive player in the NFL, that could be a big problem.
  28. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,069 / 30 / -0
    I really think you are just trying to be a contrarian. Merriman should be averaging a sack a game in his young career because of our scheme? I guess our scheme is vastly superior to every other teams, since Merriman managed more sacks in 12 games than any player in the league that played 16.

As far as the "cap-friendly" contract you expect Merriman to be offered, there are exceptions to this rule. LT was paid like the best RB in the league when he received his extension. Merriman should received a very generious offer. I don't think AJ Smith or anyone else expect the best defensive player in the league to accept a significant hometown discount. With the way the cap is increasing, I don't think signing Merriman will be a problem.
  29. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    Yes, because I so often go against the grain simply to go against the grain...

Merriman is in the ideal system for him. He has three terrific defensive linemen in front of him in a system specifically designed to move him around to get pressure on the QB. Yes--he should succeed in that scheme.

I think Merriman's a great player. I am not yet ready to anoint him as the best defensive player in the league. And I'm not yet ready to say he's worth LT-type money. Unlike you, I don't see the salary-cap increasing by 10% per off-season in perpetuity. We're already getting to a point where we're pushing the upper limits of the cap and we have pending extensions for Igor and D-Flo, LT's salary escalates every year, Philip Rivers and Marcus McNiell are going to command big-time money considering their positions, Luis Castillo is already underpaid considering his value, if VJ emerges as a true #1 he is going to require a healthy extension, and no, I don't think you can fit 14 or 15 pro-bowl caliber players under one salary cap long-term and still maintain solid depth unless you're willing to go into cap hell and mortgage the future.

We are benefiting now from the fact that many of our best players are under their rookie contracts. Merriman, Castillo, McNeill, Vincent Jackson, Philip Rivers (seen the going rate for top QB's lately?) Merriman and Castillo are already considered to be among the league's elite at their positions, Rivers only needs one more good season to be one of the top-5 QB's in the NFL, and VJ is a breakout season away from commanding $5 million or more per season when his time comes. I don't know about you, but I'm seeing $40 million per season or more worth of salary just in those 5 guys and that's IF all 5 of them take cap-friendly contracts. They're all players who will need to be addressed in the next 2-3 years if want to get them extended before they go to the open market. If Nate Clements is worth $10 million per season Merriman will easily be able to command that much. A QB like Rivers will be able to command $12 million or more. McNeill? A pro-bowl LT can command $9 million or more, no problem. Castillo, as a defensive end and already widely regarded as one of the top 3-4 DE's in the NFL, will command $5 million to $6 million, and VJ, even if he's just a solid starter who averages 70 receptions, will command $5 million per year +. And those are "San Diego discount" type numbers. Go on the open market and suddenly they'll be commanding 20% more.

Sorry if that makes me contrary, but we're going to have to find a way to pay all these guys and when you look at the example of the Steelers and Patriots of the world, logic says we're not going to be able to keep all of them.