1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Possible Cuts for Cap Space - Predictions

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Skuzzlebutt, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +128 / 2 / -0
    So I'm procrastinating at work and this is a topic I have been wondering about: What players are in danger on our roster because of their salary? Basically who has the highest potential to be cut in order to clear cap space for the remainder of the year. If we decide our D-line needs a splurge like Richard Seymore or just because we need more flexibility later in the year, who is the first to go?

Eddie Royal - Probablility: 80% I will be surprised if he is on the roster come September. He just doesn't add much to the team that isn't already covered by cheaper players.

Jeromey Clary - Probability: 25% It would surprise me, but it sure would free up space. There are plenty of guards on the market who would cost less than Clary, and if he isn't transitioning well then they may be just as good. The other option is Fluker at RG, Starks at RT and Dunlap at LT. If money is no issue, I think this would be a bad choice (hence my low probability) but money matters and it may not be best spent on Clary.

LeRon McClain - Probability: 50% I don't know what he brings to the team right now. I personally like the guy, but don't know how he will fit with new schemes. I think this ones a coin flip.

What are your thoughts? Other names? Different opinion on probability?
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    I don't think the Chargers really have any other big price tag players that are easy to get rid of (Meachem doesn't count because we wouldn't save money anyway). The only other name might be Jarrett Johnson but there's no way in hell we get rid of him.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    Unless there's somebody worthwhile we can spend the cap space on I'm completely against cutting any offensive lineman with starting experience when our line is questionable enough already.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +128 / 2 / -0
    Agreed. But its an interesting choice if given A or B:

A: Clary plus Joe Blow/Current Roster at DT
    B: Richard Seymore plus Joe Blow/Current roster at RG

I don't think its as clear cut as this, but an interesting hypothetical.
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Only 2 I can think of are McClain and Royal, and I don't see a FA I'd like to have more than either of them.

That said you never know if that might change midseason.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    Like I said, unless there's somebody worthwhile we can spend the cap space on, so it appears we're in aggreance.
  7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 11 / -0
    I have my doubts about Royal being cut only b/c McCoy had such success with him in the past - I think he's a player who has the potential to be very successful under the new regime
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +128 / 2 / -0
    If those two are cut, I think it would be more about flexibility for mid-season moves and/or keeping a young or borderline player on the roster.

I think Syd's point about Royal's history with McCoy is an excellent one.
  9. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Royal isn't going anywhere. He's been going with the 1's throughout the OTA's and is looking to be our leading slot receiver. Not to mention his history with McCoy which has already been pointed out. I could see Goodman being cut, just to to save a roster position and get us down to 53(I thought the immediate resigning of him back in March was a bit peculiar). Wish we could cut Meachem, but it's just not possible due to his entire salary being guaranteed this year.
  10. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    In theory, all 3 of the players you mention can contribute in some form to this team.

In reality, it is maybe a little premature to have this discussion, for the following reasons:
    1. There may be some excellent unexpected rookie performances in camp that may make the above guys more expendable.
    2. There may be some injuries to others that makes the guys you mention more valuable to keep.
    3. There may be guys on other teams who get cut who we think we can get do do a better job for cheaper and therefore makes us highly likely to cut our guys to get them.

All 3 you mentioned are possible candidates, we'll just have to wait and see what happens I guess.
  11. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings Received:
    +111 / 4 / -0
    I doubt they will cut anyone solely on the basis of Cap money. Some cuts they make may provide some Cap relief, but that will be secondary.
  12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21

Also keep in mind that if we don't cut Royal this year, he's going to cost us $6M in cap to keep next year, and still count as $1.5M in dead money even if we decide to cut him next year.

So the question is will he contribute enough this year, to warrant $1.5M in cap next year? Or are we just delaying the inevitable, because I don't think any of us see a future where Royal stays on the roster in 2014 for a $6M price tag.
  13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,380 / 36 / -16
    Hell, Royal was has all kinds of potential (I'll never forget that Monday night in '09 that he
    single-handedly beat the Chargers with 2 return TDs...I had to to wear a stupid Donk's jersey for 3 days)

But look at this one factor: Games started
    2008: 15
    2009: 12
    2010: 10
    2011: 8
    2012: 2

McCoy or no McCoy, this is very disturbing
    (...though I wonder if the slow thinkers are finally catching up...) :roflmao:
    Not So Royal.png
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21

Told yall on day 1 Royal was a ****** fit for Norv's offense. Durability was a factor to, but it was doomed the day Norv came on the Scott and BR show and said the offense would not change to accommodate Eddie Royal's playing style...and sure enough his only TD came on one of the maybe 10 total slant passes we through all year.
  15. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    Too lazy to retype, but basically a friend tossed up four possible cuts in an e-mail.
    Existing cap space
    $3,219,654
    Cut these guys
    Jeromey Clary $2,300,000
    Eddie Royal $1,500,000
    Le'Ron McClain $1,416,666 (sorry.. to much money)
    Charlie Whitehurst $1,300,000
    New Cap Space
    $9,736,320

Here's what I sed:
    Regarding $3.2 mil existing cap space...teams always set aside money to replace IR’d players during the season, don’t know how much it normally is but I don’t think you can really count all 3.2 as available.
    Clary? We need a right guard and if he can play the position, I got no problem with his salary this year.
    Eddie? We’ll need him. DX, Floyd, injury histories. V Brown coming off major injury. Allen, recent knee problem.
    Le’Ron? If we don’t need a fullback in our new system, I can see giving Le’Ron Le’pinkslip
    Charlie? Need a vet backup, can’t go with rookie Sorrenson

Now, if some team cuts someone better than any of these guys and they’re cheaper, bring on the Turk, but even if we replaced them all we wouldn’t have $6.5 mil.

Most outstanding team need right now, IMHO: Another vet corner
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21

I dunno about that, I think Shareece Wright is going to wow some people this year.

Some guys that might be worth looking into...
    OLB Thomas Howard - As we will probably see a lot more 4-3 sets this year, we still need a legitimate 4-3 OLB.
    DE Richard Seymour - For D-line depth in 3-4 and 4-3 sets, as I see we have almost none.
    RB Ahmad Bradshaw - We need a backup plan for RM, and Bradshaw rushed for 1000 yards last year (4.6ypc) and is a solid receiver as well.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,069 / 30 / -0
    If Royal contributes this year and is happy with his role, he may be willing to restructure his contract to lessen his cap number.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    I'm plugging for Wright to step up too, just a bit concerned (unless I'm missing something, which is always a possibility) that we have only three experienced CBs on the roster now in Wright, Gilchrist, and Cox. Of the rooks, Williams, if he has a good TC and preseason, I could see as dime back. But at this stage of the game would rather have a seasoned vet to round out the roster than one of the undrafted rookies.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +128 / 2 / -0
    I sure don't mind being dead wrong on this one!
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Yeah I think most of us missed this one. ER11 just seems 100x more comfortable when not being sent on streaks and fades all day.
  21. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -0
    Let's hope he plays the rest of the season like he has a chip on his shoulder...because it's working!!
  22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,380 / 36 / -16
    You have a lot to learn about burying wrong predictions, Skuzzlebutt!!

(but seriously, I didn't remember you saying this, and salute you for digging it up)

[and I apologize in advance, if this steps on the delicate toes of anyone who might think that it fits their behavior] :)
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Why should he bury it? I would guess most fans don't see football predictions as an HONOR threatening proposition. It's part of the fun.

As long as he didn't put money on it it's nothing ventured nothing gained.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    Suck on Royal now, unbelievers.
    • Funny Funny x 1