1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Possible Head Coach Candidates

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,558 / 11 / -0
    If Norv were to go. I'm sticking with...

HC - Rivera
    OC - Harbaugh
    DC - Nolan/Wade
  2. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +820 / 0 / -0
    For those that keep pimping Rivera, can someone please tell me what he did to deserve such accolades? I know that the 2006 Bears defense was stout with him at DC, but how much of that was him and how much Lovie Smith? Then, after that season the Bears told him that his services were no longer needed. In 2007 he interviews with us for the HC position and when he doesn't get that he becomes that LB coach. Next, season he didn't get a sniff at either a HC or a DC position. Lastly, the single most dissapointing aspect of the Charger team is the play of the linebackers, namely the ILB's which were Rivera's responsibility.

The only thing that I can figure is that it's "the guy on the bench must be better than starter" syndrom.
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21

Same for Garrett. The guy has more talent on his offense than any one man should have, they've underachieved this year, Romo is erratic and wild, and still all the "experts" hype him up like the next Bill Walsh.

And why the **** isn't anyone mentioning Dick LeBeau??? The guy has the best defense in the league every single year, same with Rex Ryan.
  4. sdchrger

Ratings Received:
    +820 / 0 / -0
    Good point.

The only thing that we know for sure about Garrett is that Jerry Jones is in love with him. That may be enough to qualify him as a great HC in some folks eyes, but not mine.
  5. sdchrger

Ratings Received:
    +820 / 0 / -0

A great coordinator doesn't always equal a good head coach, as we know first hand with Norv. Maybe LeBeau has the skill set to make him a great DC but not a good HC.

Not being an expert at this by any stretch, I can guess at what the differences between the two would be.

First would be scope. A DC has a wide range of responsibilities but the scope of what he is in charge of is a third that of what a HC would have. Head coaches have to game plan a cohesive plan that includes offense, defense, and special teams. The coordinators receive a broad objective and plan and have to implement it. Two completely different skill sets.

Next would be the level at which you need to fly at. Coordinators can still be very hands on and can focus the attention on less than half of what is happening on the field over the period of the game. HC's have to be in tune to every second of the game and have to make split second game changing calls that go beyond scheme and package. HC's also have to be effective at managing performance one level removed which is one of the most difficult things in management to accomplish. It's ten times easier to do something youself than to get someone else to do it for you on a consistant basis.

A perfect example of a HC with an coordinator skill set is Norv. While some HC's can also be the coordinator on one side of the ball, Norv cannot. It's been clear that there is no HC influence of the defense (with the one exception being the termination of Fat Teddy), and more than likely little to none over the special teams. When Norv game plans it's most likely on the offensive side of the ball only, so who has the oversight to coordinate an effective game plan for the entire team? Aside from the rah rah stuff, I think that was the major difference between Marty and Norv. Marty's game plans were comprehensive, not piece meal. What the offense tried to accomplish was in concert with what the defense was doing. At this point the team is operating in silos.

That's the part that we never know. I'm sure that a bunch of coordinators demonstrate HC skill sets while still assistant coaches. Most of that would happen behind the scenes. So Rivera, Garrett, and LeBeau may all end up as great HC's. More than likely one of the three will be a good HC and the other two dudes. The mystery is which one is which, and us poor folk in the stands don't have enough information to even make an educated guess.
  6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0

Good point. Our defensive melt down was blamed on Ted Cottel but I think it's right. Because our defense looked like crap through the first half last season too. It's not like Ted was a successful DC in the past either.

Though I think everybody can agree that there has been an improvement on our Defense since Rivera took over. Though other problems seemed to have evolved in the second half.
  7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    Hey Concudan... Shouldn't you be in here giving everybody a hard time and calling them "couch GMs?" :icon_shrug:
  8. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    ...Nothing insulting about being labeled a couch GM in my eyes B4L. Three things I know for certain as a resident couch GM...

(1) I never would have hired Norv Turner In the 1st place!

(2) I never would have Hired Ted Cottrell In the 2nd place

(3) I ACTUALLY NEVER WOULD HAVE HIRED NORV IN ANY PLACE!!!!!!
  9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0

I agree! :yes:

Concudan just makes it out to be something bad.