1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Post your "AJ" Mocks here!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Chargerfn909, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    Hey fellas, I do not know about you but most of MY mocks are pretty much based on how I would draft. I think we all hope AJ is on the same wave length as us, and would draft alike however I think it's fair to say that is a pipe dream. With that being said I made a thread for you guys to try and mock what AJ WILL do come April 22nd-24th.

Just watching more film and doing some more thinking. Here is a draft that is doable by AJ's standards that would be very fine by me..

1) Brian Price-- Disruptive, arguably the fastest DT off the ball. This guy can add 10-15 LB's and be a bad boy NT. I know I had my doubts, thinking he was ONLY a gap shooting 4-3 interior guy but I honestly think this dude could be special..Oh and a good character guy

2) Toby Gerhart-- Down hill hard nosed runner. Very smart and enthusiastic, versatile in the sense he can catch the ball as well as pass block. Does not have the game changing speed but in this offense that isn't really needed, we have Phillip to get the ball down field...Oh and a good character guy

3) Jason Fox-- Hyuge corn fed whitey. Dude has a LOT of upside, could come right in and take Clary's job, if not definitely give him a run for his money. If he checks out medically and stays healthy he could be a very solid RT in the NFL...Oh and a good character guy

4) Pat Angerer-- Another hard nosed football player. He may not slip this far but very well could at the same time. A bit under sized but makes up for it with his heart.. Oh and a good character guy

5) Clay Harbor-- Small school kid that could come in and play H-Back. I think AJ will fall for him after the combine performance he had...Oh and a good character guy

5) Cameron Sheffield-- This would be a steal, Troy is notorious for producing good pass rushers. We could always use depth, Tucker isn't what they thought. I think Applewhite will be solid but we definitely need depth, especially if SM is gone after this year...Oh and a good character guy

7) Stafon Johnson-- Well, last year AJ pulled a sympathy pick in the 7th but this one could actually have pay dividends. We will need more than Toby, Sproles and (cough cough) Mason. Depth with some potential upside... Oh and a good character guy

:icon_toast:
  2. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    That's not too bad. I doubt Angerer falls that far, but nice draft. The big concern with Fox is injuries...
  3. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    Yea, but AJ likes to gamble on the guys that slip down bc of injuries. IF he can stay healthy he could be a great pick up in the 3rd.
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Clay Harbor is a stud, no way he gets through the 3rd.
  5. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    I guess if that's your only beef I did well.. :icon_party:
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    I have couple more issues....

I like Price, but we don't need a 3-4 DE when we have 9 on the roster already. Gerhart is going to be a throroughly average NFL player, we'll only end up spending another high pick on RB next year. Angerer is alright, but I don't like how he sits back and waits for the ball carrier to come to him. Other than that I think Fox is alright, Sheffield is ok but not great, Johnson...ehh. And I think AJ has every intention of drafting a QB in the mid rounds.

Sorry bro. The early rounds just don't make much sense to me.
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    1. Ryan Mathews RB
    2. Terrance Cody NT
    3. TJ Ward SS
    4. Jamar Chaney ILB
    5. LeGarrett Blount RB
    5. Michael Hoomanawanui TE
    7. Sean Canfield QB
  8. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings Received:
    +37 / 9 / -0
    I still think that we will draft Dorin Dickerson in round 3 because we could use another TE and WR and he could be great at either.

And what's so great about TJ Ward?
  9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    I've been watching TJ Ward for a couple years. He reminds me of Troy Polamalu. He is one those guys who just BLASTS recievers over the middle, and will fly into the backfield and completely blow up a run play. What he lacks in size (5'11 210) he makes up with intensity. That said. He also used to play corner so he can cover slot recievers. His speed is decent around 4.50, but his acceleration and recovery speed is A+.

The reason he's falling....injuries, as always with safties who sacrifice their body.
  10. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    This is AJ's mock not mine :lol:

I disagree about Price though. Castillo is ok, but adding a studly DE would work wonders for our D. He would be in the back field causing havoc which in turn would really help our OLB's get to the QB on passing plays and all our LB's to fill and make tackles on running plays. Just because we have 9 on our roster means nothing. Aside from Castillo NONE of those guys will ever make an impact.

Gerhart is a huge ? mark, but I think he's AJ material.
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    I couldn't disagree more. I still have high hopes for Vaughn Martin, he's big, he's quick, he benched 44 reps at his pro day and he's got excellent work ethic. AJ surely drafted him to start opposite Castillo. I also think Ngwabuo (sp?) has some upside as a DE.
  12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Link
  13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    A.J. leaves a lot to the imagination
    By Tim Sullivan
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 at 12:02 a.m.

A.J. Smith has announced the need for a running back, which is a little like peanut butter announcing a need for bread.

It’s perfectly obvious, is it not? As plain as the noses on your football. We hold this truth to be self-evident: that when the Chargers lose two of their three players at one position, their general manager is obligated to replace them. In matters pertaining to personnel, however, A.J. Smith specializes in saying only what goes without saying.

Anticipating Smith’s moves is all about intuition and inference, established patterns and perceived preferences, and the best hypotheses are little better than hunches. Generally speaking, your guess is as good as mine, and probably better. If the Chargers’ next running back is as elusive as is their GM, however, he will make LaDainian Tomlinson look like a man moving a mule.

“I understand the passion of the fans,” Smith said yesterday, “and they may or may not agree with some of the moves that we do. And I can’t help that. The one thing that we do agree (on), where we’re all on board, is we need a running back. Other than that, it’s just speculation and opinions about what we need to get better.”

Like many of his peers in pro football, Smith operates on a tightly circumscribed need-to-know basis. Though he sometimes signals his displeasure with a particular player — Antonio Cromartie, for instance, or Donnie Edwards — by confirming suspicion that that player is on the trading block, his default position is elaborate equivocation.

He doesn’t want players alarmed by the knowledge that they’re considered expendable. He doesn’t want aggrieved agents tying up his phone and inciting their clients. And, perhaps primarily, he doesn’t want any of the other 31 NFL general managers to be able to predict how he might deal with a specific set of circumstances. (A season without a salary cap, for example, or outside linebackers with a penchant for the police blotter.)

Smith can speak so long and say so little that insomniacs should download his oratorical obfuscations to their iPods. And, in the main, I’m OK with that. Smith’s responsibility to the public is his product, not his process, and that product is 71-41 during his seven years of stewardship.

Yes, he has yet to deliver a Super Bowl. Yes, he spent a first-round draft choice on Buster Davis. Yes, he sometimes takes a harder line than is absolutely necessary and is given to long-standing grudges. Still, if Smith’s record has not yet earned him the benefit of the doubt, Chargers fans ought to be able to appreciate the strategic value of vagueness in matters of grand strategy.

Though the public’s appetite for pro football appears to be insatiable, and has given rise to round-the-clock reporting on items that could easily pass for trivia (most recently, disclosure of the NFL’s preseason schedule), satisfied curiosity is not an inalienable right. Much as we might like to know how the Chargers intend to address their numerous needs, whether Darren Sproles will be traded (and create a need for yet another running back) and how a growing stockpile of future draft choices might be used for immediate impact, you don’t win a poker game by showing your hand.

We are left, then, to consider the clues in the absence of hard information. Smith’s history has been to avoid high-profile free agents and to hoard draft choices for targeted trades. He has also admitted to making pre-draft trips for the specific purpose of throwing rivals off the scent. Thus while Smith’s presence at the Fresno State “Pro Day” workout of running back Ryan Mathews may have been a sign of sincere interest, it may also have been a deliberate smoke screen.

Personally, I’m bracing for a blockbuster. I’m still not convinced the Chargers will carry Sproles as a third-down back/kick returner at $7.28 million. I’m wondering whether Smith is trying to put the pieces in place to trade up to draft Clemson running back C.J. Spiller or (be still my heart) Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. (Just to be clear, the preceding sentence should be considered idle speculation and not a bona fide rumor. But remember where you read it first if it happens to happen.)

“Really, the fans do exactly what I do,” Smith said. “They bring in players (in their minds) and remove them from the organization. They fire coaches. They hire coaches. And they also, I’m sure, some of them would like a new GM and they want a new GM tomorrow.”

“Or yesterday,” he was told.

“My job,” Smith continued, “is to do exactly what (fans) do and what I’m trying to do here — which is old news — to try to build a playoff-caliber football team, which is very difficult to do in itself. And trying to maintain a playoff-caliber team, with the comings and goings on a yearly basis, is twice as hard …

“The mystery that’s out there is what’s going on. Those fans that are out there that truly love the Chargers, just hang in there and support us. We’re trying to win them a championship, and us. We have not got it done yet. We are not good enough yet.”

You knew that already, of course. What you don’t know is by design.
  14. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    VM is a HYUGE ?.. He's super raw and could very well bust out. AJ drafted a Canadian Athlete not a FOOTBALL player. If AJ would draft the best available football player every round, year in and year out we would be stacked with solid players like the Steelers, Colts, and Pats are every year.

OG is going to play NT. In fact, I think he will be a pretty darn good one in another year. Right now we have Cesaire, Castillo, VM, Boone, and Travis Johnson playing DE. Of that group Castillo and TJ are the best players. With that being said I think its safe to say we could use an upgrade at DE.
  15. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1

Great, I am even MORE mind f'd than I was before I read this article. Thanks AJ :yes:
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21

Marcellus Wiley was on NFL Live yesterday.

He said that before the draft 30 of the 32 teams all expressed interest him, one that didn't was the Bills. He of course was drafted by the Bills in 97', AJ Smith was their director of Pro Personell.:yes:

This is all smokescreen guys, trust me AJ already knows who he wants.
  17. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    I am trying to figure out who the hell he hasn't talked to though! I see it now.. With the 28th overall selection in the 2010 draft, the San Diego Chargers select... Sean Lee ILB out of PSU...
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    OMG that would piss me off.:lol:

Maybe Rodger Saffold. He's already said he's not to worried about the O-line....ITS A LOCK! Saffold to the Chargers @ 28.:icon_tease:
  19. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    Nehhhh, AJ NEVER drafts Olinemen that high. Price would be comparable to the Castillo pick, Wilson/McCourty comparable to Cason and Sean lee/Washington/Sapp/Misi comparable to the English pick.

Man, i'd LOVE to see Weatherspoon drop I have a hyuuge man crush on that dude!
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    I'm a big fan of him, but don't think Spoon fits what we do. He's more of a 4-3 OLB.

Its the same way I feel about Brian Price. On film the guy is a monster, absolutely unblockable at times, makes a home in the offensive backfield....but DE is not a position I think we need to address in the 1st round.
  21. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Disagree. There are many that can be upgraded unless you want to hang your hat on Boone and Cesaire. Ive been wanting to replace Cesaire for three years. I think we need a NT and a DE.
  22. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Disagree again. Spoon was a MLB in High School and early on at Mossouri and said he is very comfortable there and it showed when they put him there in the senior bowl. imo he can play anywhere at LB. Only knock on him at all is he has short arms.
  23. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    One guy that might fall that I could see AJ drafting is Taylor Mays, he would be perfect alongside Weddle as a SS.

One guy he hasn't brought in but he may draft, much like Vaughn Martin's pick, completely raw blank slate the coaching staff could mold into a beast is Vlad Ducasse...AJ may be looking for that guy who could replace Clary, and backup McNeill in a pinch. I think AJ knows its time to get an elite OLine to help the running game.

I would be thrilled with either of these picks at #28, and I haven't seen them on any mocks for us
  24. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Ducasse at #28? Hell No!

Read this and tell me if you would still pick him.

This is an interview with a scout from an unnamed team. Follow the link below. It is a very informative interview.

JR: Getting back to the mental toughness concept. What you said there reminds me of down in Mobile (Senior Bowl week) where we stood with (the GM of his team) and watched Vlad Ducasse beg the coaches to move back inside after a couple of bad plays at tackle. Is that more of what you’re talking about?

Scout: You got it. I know we said right then there ain’t no way he’s ever gonna make it. He’s afraid of getting beat and looking bad. That’s the risk you run with the smaller college guys and the kids that everyone calls “projects” (yes, he made the air quotes!). There is a hell of a lot of pressure on those kids to try and hit home runs on every pitch and never look bad. Especially early on. Some of the kids can handle it, some can’t. He can’t, and that ain’t gonna change. Move him to guard, whatever...that’s (how they handle it) hard to see from those kids that come from small schools or kids like him that haven’t played very long.

Read more: http://football.realgm.com/src_wire...terview_with_the_scout_part_ii/#ixzz0k9Qd8OcY
  25. JUGGERNAUT

JUGGERNAUT BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    it aint just AJ. the chargers ain't drafted an olineman in rnd1 since 1986.

1986!!!
  26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Cesaire will be replaced by Martin and Oge, both have excellent upside and I don't think AJ would be wise to void them from the future plans by drafting a DE so high.

It would be a luxury pick, and I'm not down with that in the 1st round this year.
  27. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Oge is going to play NT. RR likes him there. Dont know if he will start depending on who we draft but thats where he will be when he is in there. Im not sure Martin is ready to replace anybody yet.
    I don think it would be a luxury pick at all and im not targeting one for the first round but i would in the 2nd depending on how the first goes and who we get and who is on the board. If we get Mathews in the first theres no way id pick Cam Thomas at #40 with Aluala or Houston on the board. Thomas isnt worth the #40 and ill assume Cody will be gone.

If we draft Cody #28 then we have to maybe look at RB next. Depends on who is on the board.
  28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    You don't know that.:icon_rofl: How could you possibly know that Rivera actually likes Oge there, or that we played him there purely because we had no other NTs on the roster. Oge only weighs about 300lbs, his size and quickness makes him an ideal fit for 3-4 DE, it is complete nonsense to assume Rivera will slot him as a NT.

The only player on our roster that is rumored to be a NT prospect is Garay, and Martin also has the size to project there.
  29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    I'm starting to lose patience with the fools who think we're going to even consider a 3-4 DE in the 1st round.....or even the 2nd round.

They'll just get thrown into the mix with the other 9 projected DE's already on our roster. And if a guy like Martin WHO ALREADY HAS THE PHYSICAL AND MENTAL SKILLS TO BE A MONSTER takes the next step....the pick ends up being nothing more than depth.

Any RB we draft will start immediately, any NT we get has an excellent chance of starting immediately.
  30. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Um, because he said so last year. So im going off what i read that was posted in a Chargers forum. Sorry you missed it.
    He may weigh 300 lbs but RR likes what he sees and said the kid was going to be a player. He has been IR'ed, so he may come in bigger, i dont know.
    Im just saying what i read, you are speculating and i got news for ya....Garay only weighs 303 so you can laugh and believe what you want. I dont really care. Just telling you what was said in an article and ill believe what RR says over Hank Bauer.

And Martin has the size...sort of, he is listed at 320 which is getting there but he dont have what it takes yet to be able to take on double teams and is why he didnt play NT at all til the last game of the season when he rotated at both spots. He was getting BLOWN OUT when he first got some playing time. He had a tackle in week two and didnt get another til week 15 but he improved later on but he has a ways to go i think and i believe they want him eventually to play NT, so we'll see how it goes when TC starts and thru preseason.

I think we can use another DE for an upgrade. Im not willing to hang my hat on some of these scrubs we have. If we can get a player within round 3 who can step in and contribute then id be more than happy to say goodbye to Bingham, Boone or Cesaire even if we lose a couple of them. Cesaire is backup material and always has been.