1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Pre-Combine Mock Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AnteaterCharger, Feb 21, 2012.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,474 / 19 / -4
    What the hell, everyone is doing it and I wanna be like the cool kids. Peer Pressure worked for me :-P

1. Nic Perry OLB USC
    He's pencilled in until and unless something big happens to either his stock or someone else's falls. We desperately need pass rush and he's got the best potential.
    2. George Iloka S Boise State
    Probably a reach but still he provides great size, good speed and hitting ability as a compliment for Weddle
    3. Trumaine Johnson CB Montana
    I'm going small school but his size, his skills and his talent will play in the NFL.
    4. Terrell Manning, OLB, North Carolina St.
    Not as big as a traditional 3-4 ILB but his coverage, his speed, his ability to shed blockers, is great. Think he would fit in very well and would provide some great coverage ability
    5. AJ Jenkins WR Illinois
    Admittedly struggled with this pick and likely optimistic but think he adds something that Floyd/Brown don't have. His speed combined with working with Charlie Joiner should produce an outstanding receiver
    6. Beau Reliford TE Florida State
    Can't disagree with this selection from Matilack's draft, so stolen with full rights given
    7. Akiem Hicks NT Regina (Canada)
    It worked the last time so why the hell not, another big quick powerful prospect to work with

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Well, at least you didn't copy and paste from good ol' Walt. ;)

3. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848 / 1 / -0
    Vaughn will have a fellow canadian to reminisce about home

4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Well... except for the fact that Vaughn's actually Jamaican. He just went to school in Canada. And even then... Canada's a big place.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,474 / 19 / -4
    Since you're one of our draft experts, any thoughts on mine?

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I like it... I just have trouble seeing it as realistic. Particularly the doubling-up on DB's in the 2nd and 3rd a year on the heels of having spent a 2nd and a 3rd on DB's. I just can't see that happening. One or the other (and it's probably Iloka considering I don't think AJ will touch Johnson with his history).

Also, we probably won't hit it until late (unless AJ really shocks the world) but we also won't go entirely without picking an OL. Look at the turnover even among the depth on our roster - Dombrowski isn't a likely priority to re-sign. He may get an RFA tender, but that's about it. Mruczkowski is allowed to walk. Moll as well. And even if the coaching staff thinks Baxter can eventually become Hardwick's successor, there's likely to be 1 OL signing just to bolster the depth with Dielman, Green, Vasquez, and (given that it'll be the last year that his contract makes him too cap-expensive to outright release) Clary all in "contract years" in 2012 - not to mention the fact that 2 out of the last 3 years we've dealt with MASSIVE OL injury counts.

My only concerns with AJ Jenkins as a pro is that I don't know that he "creates" enough. He's an adept route-running, good cuts, plays faster than he'll time on the stop-watch, but he's also the kind of guy that's going to go his whole career needing someone else to ensure that he always sees single-coverage otherwise he won't be productive. Best comparison I can think of is Damian Williams (former USC receiver, now on the Titans). He'll run hot and cold in terms of productivity so long as there's not another major target on the field that opposing secondaries have to account for at all times (note Williams with Kenny Britt and Williams without Kenny Britt). Either he, or the guy I have pegged in the 5th (B.J. Cunningham from Michigan St) are good value in the 5th; I personally prefer Cunningham because he goes after the ball a bit more aggressively while it's in the air and has larger, more consistent hands.

7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I noticed the 2 DBs in 2/3 on the heels of Wright/Gilchrist as well, and we also just spent the last two years drafting ILBers. I'm not saying we won't draft an ILBer, but is he going to be a significant upgrade to Gachkar?

I'm not a draft guy, as in, I don't know who these players are, because I just don't spend the necesary time watching college ball to make informed decisions about the quality of the players. If these are all fantastic prospects who would be available because you expect runs on other positions prior to our selections and these guys would therefore be available, then I would say great.

Do you think Hicks is big enough to play NT now, or if he were to see game time this season would he be playing end? Do you think he'll likely even play this season?

8. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,474 / 19 / -4
    I happen to agree and actually criticized LBC for putting two DBs in his draft. I think an ILB is necessary too its just finding where to put one. I think SS is a bigger priority than ILB, of which we have 4 already, but an upgrade at ILB would be nice. I did grab someone who I think would fit well in the 4th (read about Manning) but if there's someone better available in the second of third I'd be up for grabbing him. And frankly it doesn't matter who but someone needs to challenge Gachkar for sure. I like Johnson as a player because I think we need to revamp our cornerbacks even with Wright and Gilchrist there - I think Jammer isn't just fading for mental but physical reasons and I've run out of patience with Cason and his work. We need someone to pair with Wright who I think could be a great cornerback. Johnson has some red flags as far as personality goes but he has such unbelievable talent and ability. Regarding Hicks I think its big enough to play NT but he needs alot of work much as Martin did - a 7th should be a good development prospect and that's all I can ask for in Hicks.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Bobby Wagner would fit well as an ILB next to Butler. Even if Gakhar pans out, in the 3-4 you can hardly have enough LBer's of either variety. If he lasts until the 3rd we should pull that trigger. The kid is a straight up baller.

10. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,474 / 19 / -4
    Wagner probably won't last that long but I'd seriously consider pulling the trigger on him in the second. An almost ideal draft would be Perry-Wagner-Lavonte David (move him to safety)

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I could dig on that lineup.