1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Pre-Season Game 2 impressions...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Aug 15, 2013.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,216 / 37 / -21
    + Our running game looks very much improved, short of the big breakaway run we averaged over 5 ypc as a team consistently regardless of starters or backups. This could open up our entire offense again, dare I say play actions may actually have a hope in hell of working.

+ Our depth showed up to play, particularly on offense. CBJ and Sorenson looked very comfortable, albeit they wernt getting hit like Rivers was.

+ Ladarius Green = the future.

- Pass Protection: Starks was bad as expected, but Clary and Fluker both gave up pressure on inside moves. Both men are eerily similar when forced to protect 1-1 in open space.

- Rivers: His timing is still off, it seems he has over corrected his problem from last week and was now leading the receivers a little too much, the interception being the obvious case as well as a couple other times. I'm not worried yet, it can be fixed with practice.

- Short bus teams: Holy **** Steve Crosby must be back.

Defense gets a pass for tonight, only allowed 185 yards of total offense...but a couple huge missed holding calls and terrible field position made it look worse than it was.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  2. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Improvement needed on many fronts.
    When it was 1s v 1s, the Bears ran at the right side a lot--Bront Bird wasn't up to the task--blockers threw him around like he was made of straw.
    OL looking better than last year, but not great. Starks, Fluker, Dunlap, and Clary all gave up pressure.
    Weird interception (tangled legs and did db control it to ground?), but an interception nonetheless, and PR & crew were having trouble getting downfield anyway. Rivers looks jittery under pressure. 2 years of getting smacked.
    STs are going to be a worry.

Good stuff:
    Mathews stood up to some hits and ran well.
    Different game without Freeney/Liuget in much. The Bolts should have a decent pass rush this year with those 2 in there.
    Butler in coverage.
    Scifres can still punt.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,216 / 37 / -21
    Donald Butler is becoming a complete player, we need to lock that guy up for the next 6 years.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. tittylated

tittylated bolttalk cheerleader sweet

Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0
    1st offense - c thought we moved the ball alright but that bs int and the fumble by rivers killed us max starks mine as well have just yelled to rivers that he was about to get wrecked for all the good his block did
    1st defense - b the first series by defense was a bute need to improve our run stopping but as fc bolt said teo might help that
    the rest offense - b brad sorensen looks like he could end up being a great backup and even a stop gap option when we lose rivers for a year or 2 but as hes already 25 so i doubt hes not our future cbj may give sorensen a run for his money
    the rest defense - didnt really pay attention
    special teams - garbage again and again
    (as you can tell im a generous lover)

5. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    He moved incredibly well when covering Marshall. Hopefully Teo can develop as SILB--it'd be nice to get back to having 2 decent ILBs.

6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,871 / 48 / -26
    Fozzy looked good.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,216 / 37 / -21

On that note...I wouldn't mind seeing Mathews on the bench for the rest of the pre-season.

Dude needs to learn how to avoid contact sometimes, he just lowers his head like he's Jerome freakin Bettis, coach needs to protect him from himself.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tittylated

tittylated bolttalk cheerleader sweet

Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0
    i agree with matilack but im gonna love seein rm's power come the regular season he just pumps those legs and drives right through people might not be busting huge runs but definately still fun to watch

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,093 / 31 / -0
    On the missed holding/officiating front, Freeney was tackled on the play where Butler got the pick. No call. I still don't see how Rivers INT was really a pick when the defender did not have control of the ball until it hit the ground.

Negatives

Pass protection obviously. Starks got beat way too easily. Fluker's a rook and Clary's at a new position so we can at least hope they will improve. But Starks? Maybe he's just physically or mentally worn down. He sure has not looked at all like a starting LT.

Way too many unforced errors. Muffed punts, botched snaps, etc.

Kick coverage was Crosby bad.

As for positives,

Mathews is proving how coachable he is. He is making the quick cut and attacking the hole.

Gates is running well and getting open consistently, though he did have the one drop that was a drive-killer.

The run blocking looks awesome. When Fluker gets on a defender, they go backward in a hurry.

Ladarius is incredibly fluid for his size.

Overall the D was good, with the exception of the one long run from Forte. Liguet was killing it. Freeney is playing like he's got alot to prove.

10. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,093 / 31 / -0
    If he pounds it like that for four quarters, the long runs will come.

11. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,093 / 31 / -0
    I definitely think we need to find a veteran backup at ILB. If either of our starters goes down, we have real problems. Bront Bird is not the answer.

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,871 / 48 / -26
    Shortest snap I've seen in a game........ when's the last time you saw a center snap the ball into his own groin? :rolleyes:

13. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +246 / 22 / -3
    Dont kno if it was said already, but some of us are already thinking it. We also have to realize that with a new coaching regime comes a new desire/expectation out of our players in these exhibition games and thus could mean the difference from being a STL Rams team that always wins its pseason games and then goes on to post a 2-14 season.

All im sayin is TT might not be as rah rah win or lose your job as much as we would just assume out of a HC.

14. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    That was Hardwick too wasn't it?
    He's gotta know that Whitehurst isn't really Jesus.

15. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    TT is clearly in rebuilding mode cleaning up AJs mess.
    2-14 is as out of the question as 14-2. It's another middling year, but hopefully we've seen the bottom and are heading back up.

16. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    They might actually have a running-game, but the passing game is just Rivers-Gates and no doubt every team is more than prepared to shut that down.

The line needs work. They were tested, and if they passed, it isn't by much.

Secondary is as worrying as ever.

As is Special Teams.

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,594 / 48 / -6
    RM looks better than he ever has, taking better angles and way quicker to his cut. I have always liked his power and he doesn't have to try and blast through every would be tackler.

MM better get that O-line straightened out soon in their pass protection, horrid at best is all I can say. Rivers is still a concern after the past two seasons, don't know if the WR's weren't getting open or there just wasn't any time to wait.

The D is coming around and I have to think that this 3rd game should be played on strong legs and this unit becomes tighter.

ST. ????

18. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    If the only thing positive about the starting offense was Ryan Mathews then this team is in trouble.

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    Worst Special Teams I've seen since 2010 - and they didn't show that bad in the pre-season
    King Dunlap is your new starting Left Tackle, that's all
    I really don't like Clary at Right Guard but I don't think there's any better option available
    Fluker needs some more work at pass blocking but minus ONE bad move, he did very well. I don't think he's as bad as people are screaming he is
    Please let Liuget get better ASAP
    Bird isn't a starter, period. The next man up at ILB Starting is DJ Smith
    I love Ladarius Green, he and John Phillips could be very good tight ends
    The Chargers will carry three QBs, period.
    I take as a positive that the team's first string D looked really good.

20. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +419 / 7 / -1
    I think this might be the first year I'll be happy to have 3 QBs on the 53. I don't like the idea of Sorensen being the next Tolzien. 1 year of seasoning and adios CBJ.

21. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    If Rivers goes down CBJ is not going to "save our season". Either way this is not a playoff team. They might as well give Sorensen the experience of being the #2 and possibly starting if something happens. CBJ has reached his potential. Time to see if Sorensen is the next guy.

• Agree Agree x 5
  22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,216 / 37 / -21
    Fluker also got beat once by Schofield last week, I don't think anyone is screaming he's bad yet, but you gotta figure if he gives up just 1 play like that every week he'd probably give up around 10-16 sacks this year....and consider he didn't even play the whole game.:sick:

23. drosso

drosso BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    THE BAD:
    The offensive line scares me the most. It might be worth a shot to put Dunlap at LT, Starks at RT and Fluker at RG. What do you think of this?
    Clary is not a starter!!!
    Special teams needs a revamp but can be fixed.
    Mistakes need to be cleaned up.

THE GOOD:
    Matthews looks good (please stay healthy).
    Freeney looks great and hopefully will teach Larry English some new tricks.
    I like how physical S. Wright is playing at CB.
    All the TE's look great.

24. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    What about DJ Smith? He's a vet and he's looked real good out there. Team might have its backup vet already there

25. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 8 / -0
    Las Vegas has odds of RM missing a game due to injury before week 9 at 7-2.
    I'm staying clear of those odds...

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,871 / 48 / -26
    I don't see how Starks is an upgrade over Fluker at this point..... very unimpressed with his play. If he's hot to win the LT spot, he sure has a funny way of showing it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,871 / 48 / -26
    Lets hope Liuget's shoulder isn't anything serious... depth is a real issue.

Detroit is reportedly signing defensive tackle Justin Bannan. The Chargers had interest in him earlier this summer and could still use depth on the defensive line.

28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,216 / 37 / -21
    I am in full favor of sitting these guys until preseason is over...

Liuget (obviously)
    Weddle
    Butler
    Reyes
    Thomas
    Wright
    Johnson
    Gates
    Mathews

There is no reason for them to risk getting hurt just for a few more snaps.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. drosso

drosso BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Very true, Starks probably would not be a big improve over Fluker at RT. However, I do think kicking Fluker over to RG would be an upgrade over Clary. Also, I think Fluker would have an easier time at RG as a rookie.

Basically, I just want Clary off the field. Clary is a backup at best.

30. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Im taking this because these are my thought exactly

(I also adding), I don't care who gets cut

Fozzy better be on this 53 man roster.

I love Gates, I fought to the core when that dude had that thread saying he's washed up so this is no way about that. But, I would love to see Green catching passes from Rivers with the ones to see what he can do.

ST/ looks horrendous, hopefully this gets fixed because I can't stand to see another 6 games being determined off of a failed punt and or kick off coverage for a TD or field goal distance.

Why can't our D hit people? I'm talking about what Bostic did to Willie hit. What McClellin did to Rivers, what Whooten did to Rivers.

Our guys tackle like a little kid begging his father not to go on that business trip, getting dragged on the floor, out the door. Or like 2 sorority girls tickling each other right before the pillows come out. I'm not talking about only this year either, our guys have never laid the boom, it's always been pressure the QB, stand there like a buffoon, let him escape untouched and run out of bounds right after getting to the 1st down marker.