1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Problems logging out of Bolt Talk forums?

Discussion in 'Forum Help and Feedback' started by Thumper, May 28, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    It's come to my attention that some are having problems logging out of the bolttalk forum.

I think I know why this is happening and what you can do to fix the problem. This problem is not limited to just one type of browser. After it was reported, I noticed that it happened to me in both IE and Firefox.

THE WHY: It is a combination of two things. First, when I moved the forum to the new server, I had to set up a temporary domain so those of you whose DNS servers had not updated could see the forum on the new server. One step I had to take to do this was reset cookie so they didn't have a cookie domain. The second thing is when I moved the forum to the new server, I also upgraded vBulletin versions. This may have had a part in the cookie problem, but the first reason definitely was part of the problem.

Now in English. A new cookie was created when you accessed the forum on the new server that was a little different from the old cookie. The old cookie is this there if you logged on to the forum on the old server, but the forum software doesn't know about that cookie. When you log out, the new cooke is cleared, but as soon as you navigate to a new page, the old cookie is still valid and you're logged in again.

THE ANSWER: Delete your cookies. Problem is that some browsers store the cookies in memory (IE) so if you delete them with that browser open, it just writes them again from memory. PLEASE NOT: If you delete all your cookies, you will most likely have to re-enter your login information for any website that you are normally automtically logged into.

Here is the proper way to delete your cookies from IE, Firefox and some other browsers. If this doesn't work for you or you have this problem with another browser, please let me know or post the problem browser in this thread.

How to manually delete cookie files in Internet Explorer 7
    1. Exit Internet Explorer 7, and then exit any instances of Windows Explorer.
    2. Click Start, click Run, type inetcpl.cpl, and then press ENTER.
    3. On the General tab, click Delete under Browsing History in the Internet Properties dialog box.
    4. In the Temporary Internet Files dialog box, click Delete Files.
    5. In the Delete Browsing History dialog box, click Delete Cookies.
    6. In the Delete Cookies dialog box, click Yes.

How to manually delete cookie files in Internet Explorer 6
    1. Exit Internet Explorer 6, and then exit any instances of Windows Explorer.
    2. Click Start, click Run, type inetcpl.cpl, and then press ENTER.
    3. On the General tab, click Delete Cookies in the Internet Properties dialog box, under Temporary Internet Files.
    4. In the Delete Files dialog box, click to select the Delete all offline content check box, and then click OK.

How to delete cookies Firefox 2.0
    1. Select "Tools"
    2. Select "Options".
    3. Select "Privacy".
    4. In Private area click "Clear Now".
    5. In "Clear Private Data" window put the check mark for "Cookies" and click "Clear Private Data Now".
    6. Click OK.

How to delete cookies Firefox 1.x
    1. Select "Tools"
    2. Select "Options".
    3. Select "Privacy".
    4. Open "Cookies" tab and click "Clear Cookies Now".
    5. Click OK.

How to delete cookies Netscape 8.x
    1. Select Tools -> Options.
    2. Select "Privacy".
    3. Click the "Clear" button next to "Cookies" area.
    If you want to delete certain cookies, click the "View cookies" button. Select one or more cookies you want to delete and click the "Remove" button.
    4. Click OK

To delete cookies in Safari
    1. Select "Edit"
    2. Select "Preferences".
    3. Under "Security" category, select "Show Cookies".
    4. Click "Remove All" in the cookie dialog box..
    5. Confirm your selection by clicking "Remove All" in the pop up confirmation box.
  2. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,054 / 0 / -0
    :flag:

Thanks for your hard work Thumper!

On my FF I deleted each individual cookie and it worked...
  3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    :tup:

I gave the instructions to delete all your cookies in firefox, but firefox let you individually select your cookies to delete. If you can find the old cookie and delete it, you're good to go. If you just see the new cookie and delete it, it won't fix the problem.
  4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    I don't know for sure because I delete all my old cookies while testing. Look for one with the bolttalk.net domain though. Delete it and test by logging out, then navigating to a few other pages and see if you get logged back in or not.