1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Prospects I Like: An Evolving Thread

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by The LBC, Nov 11, 2010.

1. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I don't know about a full update, but I'll likely do an add on of "Players I Like for the Chargers" that takes our particular scheme into account. There has been some surprising fluctuation and some guys that as I've had a chance to explore workout numbers a bit more I've grown to like and dislike more or less.
  2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
  3. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Watt's a given imo if he falls.
    Otherwise, no reason to move up for him. Kerrigan, Houston, or Heyward, plenty of quality front 7 D-men available for us this year.
  4. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
    Kerrigan is projected to go before us (as is Watt for that matter), and I've heard some doubts about Heyward. We'll just have to see how it all shakes out on draft day.
  5. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    I haven't heard much bad about Heyward (other than the usual coachable technical stuff that hits on his lack of elite pass rush skills).
    I guess there's the inconsistency hit. But almost every 290lb+ DL man seems to get that label. The games I've seen he's been solid. I wouldn't cry if that's the direction we went.

Houston is ready to roll at OLB, so that's an option too. But yeah, I take Kerrigan in front of both those guys. Bit of a dice roll after the problems English as had with the transition, but Kerrigan should be able to make it from 4-3DE to Bolts OLB.
  6. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
    At least both Kerrigan and Watt give their all every play...... can't say that about many potential draftees.
  7. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    As much as I think AJ has lost the plot, he's at least got the effort thing right. Now he's gotta work on his talent evaluation ;)
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
    I blame that jerky Spanos kid ;)
  9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    While I don't put it past AJ or the Spanoses to make AJ the fall guy, I just can't buy it. AJ works on rules that aren't very adaptable, and he hasn't had many great drafts anyway: 2004, 2005, and 2006 was pretty good too. Not much happening since....

Now you're going to tell me that Spanos jr jr was hired in 2007....
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
    John Spanos spent 2006-07 seasons as assistant director of college scouting. He's now the director of college scouting...... draw your own conclusions. ;)
  11. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Could be. If so, AJ sold out when he could have taken his 'draft genius' to another organization for similar $$, instead of being run ramshod by FamBiz-John.jpg . ;)
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
    Sure, but he couldn't wear his Tommy Bahama shirts in Buffalo, now could he? ;)
  13. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Buffalo is fargin hot June-August! [strike]South[/strike] east shore of Lake [strike]Ontario[/strke] Erie ;) And Buddy's days are numbered...

wth--we need [strike][/strike] capabilities here....
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
    I believe that [lockout]strike[/lockout] isn't the appropriate word. ;)
  15. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Can we just go with [/lawyer]?
  16. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
    Yes, that pretty well sums up the current situation.
  17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Unless Prince or PP7 fall (not gonna happen), Kerrigan won't make it past Jacksonville. He's the ideal of a Gene Smith (JAX's GM) type player... and Aaron Kampmann is coming off his second ACL tear in as many years.
  18. Shumway

Shumway BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Cheers. Not too concerned about a full review - really only interested in your updated thoughts on prospects which may suit the Chargers.

Speficially, what are your thoughts on Akeem Ayers. He was a real favourite of yours and was projected to go earlier than our pick initially. But his times disappointed at the combine and now it's probably considered that he's a reach at 18. I'm starting to agree with Matilack that DE just won't be a huge impact player based on the nature of the position, so wondering about Ayers with our first. But my understanding is that there's a pretty steep drop-off in the DE class. Any of the 2nd / 3rd Rd DE prospects stack up in your opinion.

I must preface this with the fact that I'm an Aussie, so the coverage of College Football prospects over here is pretty limited, but I'm starting to think something along the lines of:

1: Ayers - OLB but also with the ability to play ILB, so he also adds depth there. If English does lift his game, Ayers could provide versatile depth to the LB corps
    2: DE prospect. Not sure how the DE class stacks up for 2nd rd value.
    2b: CB or WR.
    3: OL, James Brewer, Marcus Gilbert?
    3b: CB or WR.
  19. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Where the positions fall in our draft will depend on who gets picked ahead of us, ie who's available.
    That said, we're gonna need more than 1 LB out of the top 5 picks, possibly as many as 3.
    It wouldn't hurt, if all the studs were gone by 18, to trade back and pick up an extra 2nd rounder + a mid rounder, if that option was on the table.
  20. Shumway

Shumway BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Yeah agreed. Just considering what I would like to happen. I think most of us are hoping Jordan or Watt fall to us at 18. I'm not sure that will actually happen, and I also see some real sense in what Matilack says about the value of a 3-4 DE. So maybe they're not the guys we should look at anyway. The real question is, Is Ayers worthy of pick 18. He's someone who probably will be there for us, but not too sure how much further we would be able to trade down and still comfortably get him. I've seen hiim going from early 20s to mid 30s in various mocks.

Not sure how we could fit 3 LBs in the first 5 picks without neglecting some other needs. Regardless of what AJ has said about drafting as though all free agents leave, I think he has to resign Siler or Burnett.
  21. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    We've gotta hope that we can get Burnett, cause Siler didn't deliver later in the year. I'm not sure he can handle full-time duties at SILB (or WILB for that matter). But you're right 3/5 would be tough. Throw in a DE and we've got 1 pick left to cover WR, CB, OT, etc etc. I think we get 3 LBs if we trade back. Our first rounder for something later on in the 1st should get us a 2nd and a 5th iirc the usual draft trade value stuff, so we'd have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds instead of 5 + a 5th rounder. Probably won't happen though.

Make no mistake--5T is crucial. It's not high impact in terms of stats, but without a good 5T, you lose a lot of flexibility with your LBs.
  22. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
    For once, I agree with that Billick guy..... ;)