1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Quick read on fullback Le'Ron McClain

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fossil, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    Since our local sports writers are too lazy to pick up their telephones, do some interviews, and write any stories...

My path to the pros

All-Pro fullback Le'Ron McClain recalls the days before he got paid to play

The beginning

My mom says I would stand in front of the TV and watch football all the time growing up. So when I was 6, she signed me up for flag football at the Fort Wayne, Ind., Boys & Girls Club. I also played baseball and basketball.
    I was on the Redskins in my youth football league, and one game we were playing against the Raiders, who we could never beat. But I had four sacks and ran a fumble back for a touchdown. I was probably 7 or 8 years old; it was one of my best games as a kid.

The middle school days

We moved to Alabama going into the second semester of sixth grade. My mom wanted to move there. That's where, as a 14-year-old, I met coach Lattimore, who was a great mentor to me. He knew my mom worked a lot, so he'd always come to the other side of town to get me for practice and make sure I was on time for games. I just thought that was a really special thing because I could tell he cared about me.

The high school days

I played both basketball and football through my sophomore year at Tuscaloosa County High. But after thinking about how to take my career to another level, I decided to focus solely on football. It worked. I formed a weightlifting/conditioning program with some of my high school friends and had two big seasons as a junior and senior. I was the No. 2-ranked fullback in my class, and was recruited by Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State, Tennessee and Georgia. My running back coach at Alabama, Sparky Woods, always said, "Approach practice like a professional and you'll get to the next level." He was right.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9417166/san-diego-chargers-leron-mcclain-path-pros-espn-magazine
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Thanks for posting this Fos...