1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Rank the teams with open coaching spots...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Dec 31, 2012.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    Since we have a plethora of open coaching spots, it means we have a lot of competition for the best coaches. Which teams are the most attractive to a new prospective coach? Here are my rankings:

1 - Bears - Team is pretty much playoff ready with a few tweeks. Need a better offensive mind up there but they are the closest to a turn key team out there.
    2 - Chargers - Solid front 7, franchise QB, solid skill players. Need a line and some CB's and we are looking at a playoff team. And have I told you about the weather here... Oh wait, it was hailing at the game yesterday!
    3 - Kansas City - Some holes on D and O-line needs some work, but if you draft a franchise QB and work on the other areas this team could be good quickly.
    4 - Philly - Big market with big money and some great skill players. Tough place to lose though, so you better have a good idea about what to do going in.
    5 - Arizona - Solid young D and top 3 receiver. Needs a QB and some more skill players.
    6 - Cleveland - Solid franchise RB, some good players scattered but this team needs a lot of work, but little stress to win immediately.
    7 - Buffalo - Lots of money spent on players that have done very little. I think this franchise will implode in the next couple of years and require a full re-build. Somebody better have pretty thick skin to take this job.
  2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,377 / 36 / -16
    For years I was among the very biggest Rivers' fans...
    but, honestly, for the last two seasons the word "franchise"
    works better paired with 'Dairy Queen,' than it does 'QB.'
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,758 / 47 / -26
    Shame on you, Lance........... Rivers is a god. ;)
  4. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    1 - Bears - One of the league's best defenses, already a playoff calibre team in a big city, and have several decent parts on offense. The most complete roster that has a head coach opening, a team with a lot of history and probably not afraid to pay for the best coach either.
    2 - Chargers - Good young defense, has the QB in place, with a good draft and decent summer of free agency this is a playoff team, and will be having a new GM to. Will money be an issue in hiring an elite coach though?
    3 - Arizona- Though they lack a QB and a decent o-line, they have some nice pieces on defense. I think this is a project, but I think it's still an attractive vacancy. Honestly I think they just promote the DC though.
    4 - Philly - They have a good team, and are not afraid to shell out big bucks to attract stars, but they have a giant QB issue to deal with.
    5 - Kansas City - Hard to envision this being a desirable spot after the drama that has happened here lately, and they have a QB issue too.
    6- Buffalo - Got some good building blocks, a solid run game and a decent d-line, but no franchise QB to build a powerful offense around.
    7 - Cleveland - Lots of holes in this roster, no franchise QB as Weeden is dreadful, and not a desirable place to live either. Plus, they play in a tough division, so they can't expect immediate success with a new coach either.
  5. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    O-Line and talent around him have degraded him. With the right system and players around him, he is top 5 in the league.
  6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,377 / 36 / -16
    I totally agree that the Chargers have been cursed the last 2 years, re. the O-line...
    but, sadly, I WAS taking that into account. Rivers has made some horrible unforced errors,
    and has been very slow to tuck the ball away when his "pocket" collapses.
    Many of those fumbles were unnecessary. Yes, he can--and has--played much better
    with a better line...but there's no denying his personal errors in '11 & '12.
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,432 / 19 / -4
    1. Bears - same reasons as everyone has said
    2. Kansas City - see them as a QB, WR, maybe DE away from being dangerous
    3. Chargers - lot of talent level but need more pieces than KC does
    4. Cleveland - don't be fooled, this is a team on the rise
    5. Buffalo - some real good skill players there, just need to bring it all together
    6. Arizona - needs a total offensive makeover, defense in decent shape
    7. Philly - rabid illogical angry fan base and a massive purge of diva superstars coming? enjoy the cellar for at least three years and get ready to have fans call for your head regardless
  8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I don't believe we need one of the guys that is believed to be "elite". Mike Tomlin and Sean Payton were not elite HC's when they were hired. We just need to get the RIGHT guy
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    1. Chicago - If you believe Cutlet is a leader.
    2. San Diego
    3. Philadelphia
    4. Kansas City
    5. Buffalo
    6. Arizona
    7. Cleveland
  10. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,758 / 47 / -26
    1. I do not
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    1. San Diego - QB, and rising defense in place. Need OL & CB help, and coaching consistency, and this team is playoff caliber.
    2. Kansas City - Is literally a QB away, and solid coaching hire from an 8+ win season. They have the defense, and offensive pieces in place. Just need a solid staff, and a QB.
    3. Chicago - Cutler is not the answer. Simple as that. They have an aging defense, as you can see, started off extremely hot and as the season wore on, got banged up and the motor really slowed down.
    4. Philadelphia - They have some solid players there, but that locker room is a joke.
    5. Buffalo - Need a QB, and good coaching.
    6. Cleveland - Honestly, there going to be a good team. Weeden, was a rookie, I don't have much belief in him, BUT, they have a really, really good defense. They were in basically every game this year.
    7. Arizona - Great defense, need to fill a few spots, but terrible coaching, and some really awful QB's.
  12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 29 / -1
    You're not too far off from Clark Judge's list.

Just bump Cleveland up to 3 then swap Arizona and Philly.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/c...ve-head-coaching-opening-you-can-find-it-here
  13. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I agree with your listing, but I'd switch SD and Chicago, and here's why:

First, the Bears have a talent black hole for an offensive line, and while we certainly do as well, we also have more ammunition to address it in the upcoming draft, which is deep at LT, but not likely deep enough for Chicago to still see a quality player at 20.

Second, their defense is old. Peppers and Urlacher are keystones of that D, and neither of them has much time left. Comparatively, we have 2 quality OLB passrushers in Barnes and Ingram who are young, 3 young DEs who are extremely effective, and our NT position is relatively set for the next few years, even if it could be improved upon. Butler is probably one of the best ILBers in the NFL, and at FS we have a top 2 guy. Our CB situation could be anything next year, but it ostensibly has to be better, simply based on our young guys seeing more playing time.

Third, Chicago plays in a tough division. You've got a HoF RB in his prime on the Vikings, a league MVP (not this season obviously) in GB, and Stafford/Megatron in Detroit. By contrast, we play in a cupcake division. Even with the Broncos now being a Manning lead juggernaut, we're basically guaranteed 4 wins against Oakland and KC, which I think is farther away than you do, based on their being a dearth of "Godsend" QBs in this year's draft, and no "hot prospects" coming from the back-up ranks. We all know that you need at least slightly above average QB play to win in the NFL, and KC likely won't have that next year. On top of that, they're going to be burdened by Cassel's contract (though not as badly as they would have been letting him go this past offseason).

The Chargers basically need to re-do their offensive line, and virtually all problems will be solved. Chicago needs to do that, and get younger on defense. KC needs to find a QB(The overwhelmingly most difficult task in football), and they're probably losing talent at WR with Bowe departing. I really think that the SD HC position is the most desirable.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    I was thinking AZ would be the least appealing spot for a coach when I read they plan to keep Kolb as their future QB, but the locker room in Philly may out weigh the terrible QB in AZ

I would rank

Chargers

Browns

Bears

Chiefs

Cardinals

Eagles
  15. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +828 / 22 / -1
    I attribute his stupid mistakes to nothing more than being a fierce competitor and trying to make things happen when he shouldn't, trying too hard to carry the team. I honestly believe that if the o-line is addressed, he will magically be pretty good again.
  16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I also think in a lot of circumstances, he was playing scared and felt like he was being pressured even when he wasn't, and that lead to him making poor decisions trying to not allow a sack and loss of yards.

That said, I agree. Fix the line and give Rivers that confidence again, and he will get back to 08-10 form
  17. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    The ownership hasn't shown much ambition, letting a downward spiral accelerate. Also some have questioned their commitment to even staying in San Diego.
  18. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 7 / -1
    Many are overlooking Cleveland where they've drafted pretty well these last few years. Not yet settled at QB though unless Weeden can bounce back from a poor rookie season. I'd give the nod to the Bears over Chargers as most attractive right now (ignoring the weather of course!).
  19. Islandsurfah

Islandsurfah BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My top is :

Chargers
    Bears-Their OL is bad and they need youth on D especially LB.
    Cleveland-Drafted well lately and D is is solid.
    Philly- Lots of talent on both sides of the ball. Lacks a QB
    Buffalo-Lacks a QB and Defense
    Arizona-Mess on the offiensive side of the ball, D is pretty solid.

I had the Chiefs between Cleveland and Philly on this list until Reid took the job.

Latest I heard Doug Marrone, Syracuse head coach and Arians are interviewing for the job. Apparently Marrone was on the Saints SB winning staff and is a hot name right now. I haven't heard anything until now about him. I think Lovie Smith is a bad fit for the Chargers. He is a defensive minded coach that has never been able to put an offense together in Chicago. He is also a Tampa 2 ,4-3 guy.
  20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,571 / 44 / -6
    As Mora time goes by the Bolt's will have to beg Norv to come back. As stated above about Rivers and franchise, the Chargers and franchise are polar opposites and the butt-end of all NFL jokes. Somewhere Barron Hilton is crying.