1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Ranking NFL QBs... Rivers #17

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 17, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,940 / 48 / -26
    Ranking the NFL quarterbacks
    Last week, my Around The League colleague Dan Hanzus unveiled his list of the NFL's top running backs.

That Herculean effort was met with a swirl of wonder, agitation and pressing questions, so, naturally, we're back for more.

This week, I humbly offer you my compilation of the NFL's top quarterbacks.
    The ground rules are simple: Taking rookies out of the mix, I ranked signal-callers from top to bottom based on how I believe they'll perform in 2013.

I am prepared to be pistol-whipped by readers, coworkers, friends and family.

Off we travel:

Three kings
    1. Aaron Rodgers
    2. Peyton Manning
    3. Tom Brady

Age to age, these men deliver. What Rodgers has accomplished since his Super Bowl-winning season of 2010 is even more impressive when you factor in the lack of a potent ground game and often subpar protection. I was among those who thought a neck-surgery-addled Manning wouldn't be the same guy. Instead, he was better, and he'll do it again in 2013. As for Brady, I won't be surprised when documents unearthed in 2077 reveal that Tom was, in fact, a robot patched together by a team of frustrated Foxborough-area scientists. His mission: To wreak havoc forever on the AFC East and merge with a dangerously attractive female humanoid.

Franchise gold
    4. Drew Brees
    5. Ben Roethlisberger
    6. Matt Ryan
    7. Eli Manning

Roethlisberger, in my eyes, is the toughest quarterback in all of football. Eli comes off a down year, but I'm done doubting him. Brees is a flat-out executioner. With five Lombardis between them, these three have proven they can go the distance. Ryan hasn't, but he's coming off a monster season and sits out there as legitimate MVP material. It's no coincidence that the coaches teamed with these passers -- Sean Payton, Mike Tomlin, Mike Smith and Tom Coughlin -- are in zero danger of losing their jobs.

The future, Part I
    8. Andrew Luck
    9. Robert Griffin III

Luck took a beating last season behind Indy's patchwork line, but he kept getting back up. In that sense, he reminds me of Roethlisberger. He might ultimately be the finest of the 2012 class. In Washington, I'm assuming RG3's knee regains full strength and allows him to spin his magic all over again. It's easy to get lost in Griffin's abilities on the ground, but his pocket presence, decision-making and crisp mechanics make him a top-10 passer.

The future, Part II
    10. Colin Kaepernick
    11. Russell Wilson
    12. Cam Newton

Gregg Rosenthal informs me that I've given too much love to the newbies. I disagree. Last year's rookies -- and the schemes they operated -- altered the game. Wilson is a thing of beauty: technically clean, a fiery leader, never cowed by the moment. Kaepernick won me over during that chaotic first half of the NFC title game. He never panicked. Nothing about either player tells me they'll regress. Newton -- entering a huge year three -- sits at No. 12 because his physical tools are insane. So much pure ability. Cam can chart his fate, for better or worse.

Solid dudes
    13. Joe Flacco
    14. Tony Romo
    15. Matthew Stafford
    16. Jay Cutler

Citizens of Baltimore: Hear me out. Admittedly, Flacco's place on this list haunts me. His work in the playoffs was otherworldly. I might eat raven on this one, but I can't wait to see where Flacco goes in 2013. I also struggled placing Romo this low, but how much higher should he be? I don't blame Romo for the mess in Dallas, but he isn't saving the day, either. Stafford is still too inconsistent. And quick: List five truly memorable performances by Cutler. A tough group to grade.

Critical seasons ahead
    17. Philip Rivers
    18. Alex Smith
    19. Ryan Tannehill

Rivers is an aging but tough-as-nails quarterback. Still, I'm not certain he's even on the Chargers in 2014 if he doesn't rebound from back-to-back down seasons. Smith's work in San Francisco was underrated. His handling of the situation was even more impressive. Tannehill, in his second season, will shoot up this list if he clicks with Miami's new toys.

Trick or treat
    20. Matt Schaub
    21. Sam Bradford
    22. Andy Dalton

There's hope for this group, because this tier is where Flacco lived a year ago. Still, Schaub and Dalton -- playoff quarterbacks both -- leave me wanting. Dameshek has a growing man-crush on the Glowing Ginger Man, but I don't see it. Schaub concerns me, too. In summary: two big bowls of vanilla ice cream. Down in St. Louis, the Rams have paid Bradford $50 million guaranteed, and it's still unclear if he's the right guy. All three quarterbacks are surrounded by talent. Time to make it happen.

Stopgaps
    23. Michael Vick
    24. Carson Palmer

In theory, Vick gives coach Chip Kelly a quarterback who can run his up-tempo offense. In reality, does anyone trust Vick to stay on two feet past September? People talk about Palmer's big numbers in Oakland, but the Raiders eternally played from 20 points down during his run. Carson's not the future for the Cardinals -- or any team.

How can I trust you?
    25. Josh Freeman
    26. Christian Ponder
    27. Jake Locker
    28. Nick Foles
    29. Kevin Kolb
    30. Matt Hasselbeck

Ponder has been wonderful as an 'Adrian Peterson Handoff Machine 1.0,' but we need to see him take over games. Kolb can't go a fortnight without breaking a body part, and we're still waiting for Locker to exit the starting gate. Foles showed promise last season, but he's mired in a jam-packed quarterback room. In Indy, that song you hear? It's the closing credits on Hasselbeck's proud career. Of the group, it's Freeman who intrigues me most. He caught fire last season, before falling to pieces. As it stands, he's a candidate to lose his job in 2013.

JAG
    31. Matt Cassel
    32. Ryan Fitzpatrick
    33. Brandon Weeden
    34. Blaine Gabbert
    35. Mark Sanchez

We're back with this Hanzus-inspired category: JAG, as in, just another guy. These are gentlemen on the fringe of a promising career at CVS. Apologies, Jetsfans, but I don't have a problem ranking Sanchez this low. He's been a statistical train wreck ever since Gang Green abandoned the ground and pound. ESPN's Chris Mortensen this week spoke with league sources who insist Sanchez "is not throwing the ball as well as he was as a rookie." I'd argue that if Sanchez and Blaine Gabbert were both available, just as many clubs would take a chance on Gabbert, thinking they could fix him. Sanchez needs a full reboot. Weeden might fight his way out of this group if he takes off under Rob Chudzinski. If he doesn't, he'll be looking for work.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 18 / -3
    I think QB rankings should be determined by asking Steve Smith who he would and wouldn't let throw him a paper bag sandwhich

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,462 / 36 / -16
    With all due respect, and all the political correctness I can muster:
    This is just stupid.

Rivers has a 94.5 career passer rating, and should have better receivers
    (adding Vincent Brown & Keenan Allen) and better blocking (addition of Fluker, +)
    than he did in 2012...

I'm hardly the overly-optimistic type, but expecting Philip Rivers to "perform"
    in the bottom half of NFL quarterbacks in 2013 just strikes me as very unlikely.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,155 / 32 / -0
    Man, these rankings are just horrible. Rivers and Eli had almost identical numbers in 2012 (Yards, TDS, Ints, QBR). The difference is that those numbers were pretty much in line with Eli's career averages. They were the worst numbers of Rivers' career. I know Eli has a couple rings, but there's no way in hell he should rank 10 spots ahead of Rivers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    That's not what the ranking suggests.

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,614 / 49 / -6
    Only in San Damn Diego.

7. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 4 / -0
    Why do people consistently rate Cam Newton so high?

8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,641 / 29 / -2
    We all know Philip's jersey number. Where'd they rank him on the list?

9. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +326 / 1 / -0
    It's the first thing I thought of. If anything he needs to be in the catagory of "Critical Seasons Ahead".

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 18 / -3
    This is why I hate ratings like this Rivers is on the critical season while the guys on the solid dudes list had @ the same or worse seasons than Rivers

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,614 / 49 / -6
    I'd be happy to own Rivers pro Football Stats, there is nothing there to be ashamed of.

12. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +529 / 13 / -3
    Stupidest list I've ever seen. Though 1-7 are just about correct in my QB rankings.

13. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Rivers is in a critical football season. Whether or not anyone else is is irrelevant. You have to analyze the list in the spirit in which it was created. The author put a premium on young up and coming talent, which explains why Rivers is 17th. I don't think that this list in any way suggests that Rivers is the 17th best QB in the league, or that he will have the 17th best performance in the coming season.

14. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Seeing Jay Culter & Tony Romo listed above Rivers makes me sick, especially Jay Cutler.

I also think Eli is listed too high, even though he has two rings hes not a top 10 QB IMO and never will be. Super inconsistent, but seems to come up with big clutch plays when it matters, but hes been carried by his team his whole carrier. Guy is a mediocre to above average NFL QB that should be ranked 10-15 IMO.

In fact has Eli ever had a season better than that 11-5 one he had in 2005? Just thinking about Eli's career just pisses me off and makes my heart rate go up(especially remembering how that scrub looked up on stage during the draft holding that chargers jersey. eeehhh aaaaaarghh, **** heeearrtt attacck dlskflsj. LOL).

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +842 / 22 / -1
    ECry might be one of the most fortunate QBs ever. I think he's a slightly above average QB at best. TWICE his team has squeaked into the playoffs and gotten hot at the right time. The first one he was a passenger on that Super Bowl train, he wasn't driving. I'll give him a bit more credit on the second one. BOTH times he was bailed out by a great catch by one of his receivers, and a fortuitous drop by his opponent. He gets blown by the media because of his last name. STILL, none of that changes the fact that he is a whiny punk with a sense of entitlement based on what his dad and his brother did before he even showed up, AND he is a king pussy who had to have his daddy do his talking for him. I will NEVER have an ounce of respect for him.

16. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +842 / 22 / -1
    Calling it now: Phillip Rivers = 2013 Comeback Player of the Year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    You and me both.

18. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I don't think that players typically get that award when they play for sub-.500 teams.

19. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    Why do you even follow the Chargers? It seems like all you ever do is knock the players or the team... Either that, or you just love to troll people.

20. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    First, do you expect the Chargers to win 8 or more games this season?

Second, the team has many players on it (Rivers, Liuget, Reyes, Butler, and Weddle stand out) who are amazing players, outplay their contracts, and either carry this team or contribute massively to our opportunities to win without being the source of our reasons for losing. They don't need me to write about them. Their play on the field tells more about their worth and impact on this team than anything anyone could ever write. We also have players on this roster from whom little is expected, but they consistently exceed expectations. The flaws in these players are known, such as liability to injury, being one-dimensional, or sometimes just plain inexperience. (Floyd, Vincent Brown, Alexander, Thomas, Ronnie Brown are examples). There's not really a lot of praise to sing, but that doesn't mean you're not glad that they're on the roster.

The team also has some players whose salaries or performances significantly hinder the ability of the team to be competitive. These are the guys I usually write about. Players like Mathews, Clary, Gates (yes, I know that no one else has a problem with a 7 million dollar cap hit for 7 TDs and 500 yds on 50 catches), Meachem, and English. These guys get written about the most, simply because, unlike Gaither, how you feel about them is a function of their perceived value to you. That's what's most interesting to talk about with regards to players, is why their value is perceived the way it is. If Gates was playing on Alexander's salary, there wouldn't be anything to talk about. If English hadn't been the 16th overall pick, or if Mathews had been a 2nd rounder, no one would care about their injury history.

I follow the Chargers because I grew up watching them with my Dad. The fact that my opinion on the current state of the roster and productivity potential of some of our players is not wildly positive has nothing to do with my level of passion for the team. If I wasn't a San Diego Chargers' fan, I wouldn't waste one moment of my day writing or thinking about the team.

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,641 / 29 / -2
    I don't necessarily expect it but I certainly don't see it as beyond the realm of reasonable possibilities.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,155 / 32 / -0
    Yes.

I just skimmed the rest of your post because it was really just you talking about why your posts are so interesting, which they aren't.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    SL said that Rivers would be the CBPOY. In order for that to happen, the Chargers would have to be a .500+ team (and make the POs). Anyone not expecting a better than .500 record and entering the playoff field shouldn't be talking about Rivers as CBPOY.

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,641 / 29 / -2
    Are you saying it's impossible for Rivers to have a superb season without the Chargers making the playoffs?

If so, I direct you to the 2010 season.

25. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Not at all. What I'm saying is that he won't win CBPOY if the Chargers don't make the playoffs.

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,641 / 29 / -2
    Well, as I stated, I don't think this team making the playoffs is beyond the realm of reasonable possibilities, therefore it's not beyond the realm of reasonable possibilities for Rivers to win CPOY even if they only give it to QBs of playoff team (which you're likely correct on that regard).

27. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Well, nothing is beyond the realm of possibilities, however, if you don't expect the team to win 8 or more and be a playoff team, then it's somewhat silly to predict Rivers to be the CPOY.

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,641 / 29 / -2
    I didn't just say realm of possibilities. I said reasonable realm of possibilities.

I get the feeling you don't think it's reasonable to think this team can contend this year and that's what I've been trying to disagree with without flat out saying that I expect them to make the playoffs, because I wouldn't go quite that far.

But who knows, maybe I'm wrong regarding your assessment of the team.

29. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I don't think it's within the realm of likely possibilities unless there's a significant QB injury in the AFC.

Whether you think it's within the realm of possibility, or the realm of reasonable possibility, is irrelevant. If you don't expect the Chargers to be 8-8 or better, then it's absurd to predict Rivers to be the CPOY. That's the entirety of my point.

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,641 / 29 / -2
    Why does there have to be a significant QB injury in the AFC?

Are you alluding to Peyton without actually saying Peyton? Outside of Tom Brady and Flacco who else is there in the AFC right now? Big Ben? He was at home last year alongside Rivers. Matt Schaub and Luck, I suppose.

I'm not going to say I expect the playoffs precisely because I am unsure what our roster changes and, more specifically, our coaching changes are going to bring. However, I am still confident in Philip Rivers' ability as a quarterback and I still think there is very good talent on this team, therefore I do think it is very possible the team can compete for the playoffs under the proper coaching and schemes. (Coupled with some luck with players staying healthy...but I also believe all teams rely on that to some extent by nature of the game).

That's fine, though. I'm not the one that made that prediction. I was just trying to respond to what I felt was your assessment of our chances this year and contrast them with my opinion of our chances....hence why I only replied to the first sentence of your long post.