1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Ranking NFL QBs... Rivers #17

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 17, 2013.

1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Brady, Flacco, Dalton, Manning, Luck, and Schaub are all on better teams than we are, but if any of those teams lost their QB it might be enough to get us into the playoffs, depending on when it happened.
  2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 44 / -6
    According to someone he earned it, Philip has to own it. Just throw the damn thing!!!!
  3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    And that's where I partially disagree because I don't know if all of them are actually a better team than us until I see what our new OL/OL coach and new offense and other various changes to our team brings.

But..we're discussing future events here so agree to disagree. But that's really all I've been trying to express.
  4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,775 / 47 / -26
    You can't predict, because there's been too many changes to know how things will, or won't gel. That doesn't mean there aren't any reasons to be optimistic, just that there's enough reasons to feel the opposite.

Predicting success (or failure) says more about the fan, than it does about the team. ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    I disagree with the assessment that there's plenty of reasons to feel the opposite (pessimistic).

A lack of knowledge of how the team might gel due to all the changes doesn't necessarily default to they won't unless you're just the pessimistic type.

They have a new head coach, a new OL coach, new offensive linemen who aren't necessarily superstars but they also aren't some scrubs off the street, new defensive personnel.... bottom line is, we have no idea how this team is going to gel so I don't see any glaring reasons to be optimistic or pessimistic.

There's enough talent on the roster that if the new OL coach can get the line to block and McCoy/Whiz's offensive schemes work well that I see no reason the team can't compete.

But...those "ifs" are what keeps me from being optimistic because they can also go the other way.
  6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,775 / 47 / -26
    Well, for all the bright spots of our young defense last year, we still had some colossal breakdowns at the end of games that cost us victories..... surely, you hadn't forgotten that.

We've also had a fair amount of depth leave the team on defense..... OLB and NT particularly. You can be optimistic about their replacements if you like, but there's no history to base that on (Freeney being the exception).

You might think that our O-line is on the whole better than last year, but we won't really know until the real games start. The LT position still remains a concern.

My point was that there are too many new players and coaches to know how things will work out. Therefore, there is equal ammunition for the optimists, as there is for the doubters.

Now, I'm personally more of an optimist, but that doesn't mean I can't see why someone might take the opposing view regarding this team's fortunes. There are no guarantees in this league, especially in a period of major change.
  7. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +828 / 22 / -1
    The Chargers were 7-9 last year while pissing away at least four games (New Orleans, Denver, Cleveland, Baltimore). If they improve NOTHING else except closing out games they should win, being over .500 is very possible.
  8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    It's not a question of whether or not it's possible. If you're calling Rivers as CPOY, either you expect .500 or better and playoffs or you don't understand the criteria for receiving the award.
  9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +828 / 22 / -1
    My glass is always half full. What fun is it if all you do is whine and pout. Enjoy the season!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,380 / 36 / -16
    Does it matter that some people just like to whine and pout? :whistling:
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 1 / -0
    Hey I like to whine and pout. As a matter of fact I am pouting right now, because I am at work! ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1