1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Rapid Reaction: San Diego Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/91859/rapid-reaction-san-diego-chargers

OAKLAND -- A few thoughts on the San Diego Chargers27-17 loss to the Oakland Raiders.

[​IMG]
    What it means: The Chargers dropped into the AFC West cellar with a loss to the Raiders in the team’s first divisional game. San Diego was the favorite heading into a contest for the first time this season but failed to play with the urgency needed to win on the road.

Blunders and miscues reign: The Chargers turned the ball over five times, and the Raiders converted those miscues into 17 points. San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers threw three interceptions, including one on the opening series, which Oakland quarterback Terrelle Pryor quickly converted into a 44-yard touchdown pass to Rod Streater. Eddie Royal's muffed punt was recovered by Oakland’s Chimdi Chekwa and converted into a 47-yard Sebastian Janikowski field goal in the second quarter. And Charles Woodson scored a touchdown on a 25-yard fumble return when linebacker Kevin Burnettjarred the ball loose from Danny Woodhead on a big hit in the third quarter. The Chargers also had a field goal try blocked. San Diego’s defense failed to contain Pryor, who finished 18-of-23 passing for 221 yards and two touchdowns.

Offense sputters: San Diego’s offense had been purring through the first quarter of the season heading into Sunday’s contest, but Rivers and the rest of the offense sputtered against the Raiders. The Chargers were shut out in the first half for the first time this season. They finished with more than 400 yards of offense but just 32 rushing yards. The Chargers played most of the contest without their leading rusher, Ryan Mathews, who left the game in the first half with a concussion.

Young receivers play well:Vincent Brown has his best game of the season, finishing with eight receptions for 117 yards, including a long of 51 yards, and rookie Keenan Allen had his second straight productive game, finishing with six catches for 115 yards, including a 7-yard touchdown.

What’s next: The Chargers return home to Qualcomm Stadium to face the Indianapolis Colts next Monday night.
  2. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    I read this and can not refute a lot of it. I have to wonder why we had the regression, the D we knew was a work in progress and beat up severely, but the O failed in the first half. Philip made some uncharacteristic throws (for this season), but I did not see the Raiders really dominating the LOS to cause them. Well 11 games left...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. PanchoX1

PanchoX1 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +55 / 2 / -0
    seemed to me that early on, the Raiders were really trying to bring the pressure big time. but after awhile, that kinda died down. Was the early rush enough to unsettle Rivers and the O for the rest of the game? I dunno. They just seemed off. you could really see it in Rivers throw to gates at the Goal line that was just not quite on target. should have been a sure TD instead it was an incomplete pass.
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    I bet you, the Chargers did not prepare for the time that they were going to be playing, Time has a lot to do with how your body responds to different things, obviously if your use to being in bed by 11 up at 7, then trying to play a game at 830 is very difficult
  5. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    I understand what you are saying, and I know that it could in fact have weight, but I cant get over the fact that these guys are being paid a lot of money to be ready.

I dont think this team has developed a good mental toughness yet. They are getting there, but too many times the TV cameras saw Rivers doing his best Eli impressions on the sidelines or going to the sidelines. This team seems to me, to fold easily under pressure. I may be over simplifying it, and it is colored with my frustration, but it is what it might be.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    This makes the assumption that the Raiders are used to going to bed later than the Chargers and
    that's a big reason why the Raiders won.
    The Chargers played poorly because of it.
    Seems legit...

More likely, (and I'd bet you) the Chargers did not prepare for Pryor's ability to run around the highly
    ineffective Days-Are-Numbered Pagano Defense. That 3rd and long near the end of the 4th qtr. was
    the whole game in a nutshell.
    I have much more in my head at the moment that frustrates me about this team and that game so I should
    probably just stop now before I start making Alex Jone's-like statements.

We've got a few key guys playing lights-out... though the majority of our team is lights-off.
    p.s. Eff Pags.
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    I think The Raiders were ready for a late game while the Chargers were not, to me it just seemed coming out of the gate they were off,
    but yes they were not ready for Pryor either
  8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,547 / 44 / -6
    Rivers isn't blameless in this mess but he's also trying to do more with less than most of the top QB's in the league. He doesn't have a true 1st string O-line or a running back not to mention his what passes for #1 WR's are both out for the season. None of that excuses poor play but he can't even make chicken shyte with what he has so forget the chicken salad.

I was one who wanted to keep Pags if they didn't go after Zimmer and now, I don't know why. Quite possibly the slowest LB corp in the NFL with a secondary who rather try to escape the flight of the ball instead of getting to where it's going. There is absolutely no push up front and the middle of the field is cloud soft, you can see it but it won't hold you.

Special teams must be working extra hard to break their own record for ineptness.

Even standing in the path of this runaway freight train there is still a chance of getting her slowed down and righted as the brakes and lights do come on and work for short periods. I originally chose the sixth game are a check point and after this mornings game, that may be to soon.
  9. VenomSyndrome

VenomSyndrome Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I have this feeling that the Chargers are going to win the games that nobody expect them to win and loose the games they are suppose to win. And they are going to tank in their division.
  10. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    I wish the Chargers played looser.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +402 / 8 / -0
    This team is young and not familiar with each other (and with their coach), games like this will happen, this team will grow from them, I don't expect much this year
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    I see what you are saying but.... Young? We have some young players, but it is built around a veteran core, many whom have been playing together for some time...
  13. VenomSyndrome

VenomSyndrome Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    The Raiders had a losing record till the ran through us!:confused:
  14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +402 / 8 / -0
    on offense yes, only Allen, Brown and Fluker are young, but on defense there's Leigut, Thomas, Reyes, Butler, (Ingram when he comes back) T'eo, Ghilcrist, Wright. With hopefully a new CB and OLB drafted next year this will be a very young defense, with possibly Weddle as the veteran (I'm thinking that Freeney and Johnson will soon retire)

And as for playing together, the secondary (the biggest weakness) is full of new guys
  15. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    Excellent points.
  16. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    We also have to look at the fact that depth is what this team lacked the most and is now forced to throw their 2nd and 3rd string players as one's and two's

Only Hardwick has remained in the starting position on the O line through 5 games And granted Harris, Becton, Troutman, Schilling and Orhenberger have all played well while just getting thrown into the fire, it is very difficult to have a new guy just jump in and replace someone you have developed familiarity with in practice

Ingram and Freeney being out is a huge blow but with JJ being hurt now is in fact the biggest hit on our LB situation,
    Leaving us with English and Williams as our only healthy outside pass rushers.

Losing Steve Williams hurt us as well as I believe he has true potential to be a very good nickel defender not having Wright out there isn't helping either with Marshall and Patrick not having a real position but being thrown all around, also with the pass rush being non existent it's making our average DB's look terrible

Since the beginning of TC I hoped to see our future wide out trio of Allen, Brown and Royal, I didn't hope to see it happen sooner rather than later by default (Although the chemistry will only get better, Allen went from playing no snaps to 40 to 49 to 70 to 75 in the last 2 weeks Allen turned 15 targets into 11/195/1 that'll only get better once he and Rivers get more familiar with each other)

To all you Ryan Mathews Boo Birds, last Sunday's game became apparent that when Mathews is in the game and healthy that offense rolls a lot smoother and plays better, although he will never live up to the name LT which some of you were expecting and still comparing he still is a very valuable asset to that offense and is more important than some of you want to think, because without him that run game was non existent.

This team is what it is, a team on the rise that has been too riddled with injuries that will win some and lose some (all with devastating, down to the wire, almost got it, wins or losses ) There will be a lot more Cheers and Jeers to follow this season and I love this team with all my heart through good and bad but I figure this team to be picking anywhere from 13 to 20 in next years draft,

On a bright note, I am so thankful to be rid of all those B.S. "does Rivers still have IT?" or "We should trade Rivers for a 3rd or 4th round pick while we still can" talk
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    Don't get me wrong I love that trio of WR but am not in love. I say that only because you really don't have a prototypical/Premier WR in that group. But more of a compilation of slot WR's. Allen is the closest at 6'2" but lacks the top end speed to be a down field threat.

The more I see of Allen, the more I can't wait to see what he becomes. I love the way he fights for every yard. Its something this team has been missing for a long time!
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Rivers hinted in his post MNF presser with ESPN, after the bye week (Week 8), our next game isn't until November 3rd, that we'll get "some guys back" for that game. Wonder if he is talking about Melvin Ingram (who has been doing drills since August, though without pads), Brandon Taylor, Donald Butler, Chad Rinehart, and Jarrett Johnson.

That would help significantly. If we can ride this game to Jacksonville, and beat them without these starters that will say something. But, not taking the Jags too lightly at all after what they did in Denver.

Andrew Gachkar stepped in well, as did Johhnie Troutman, aside from his penalties looked really good in run blocking, as the whole OL did and pass pro.

Though Clary had a real tough time picking up stunts, he played well enough. If Rinehart comes back however, I'd still prefer Troutman over him. Speaking of the OL, Nick Hardwick had himself a great game as did King Dunlap. Shutting down Robert Mathis and we rushed 13 times off the left end for a YPC of 4.2, Dunlap did well sealing the edge.

But, we NEED our pass rushers back. English and Keiser only combined for 4 hurries against average pass blocking OT's.
  19. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    I think you need to put down the copy of NFL Teambuilding for Dummies and look at the production. People get too caught up in things like "prototypical #1 receiver." What matters is production. Allen is producing like a #1 receiver, and he has deceptive speed.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Well, I'm halfway through NFL Teambuilding for Dummies, so I'm probably gonna go ahead and finish it
    (not nearly as good as Why Andrew Luck is a God & Other ESPN Observations) but I like your point.
    Often in the NFL, prototype is unimportant...MJD is not prototype nor is Rivers' hilarious delivery.
    What matters is receivers getting down field, open, and securing the ball. Allen does that.
    I've been keen-on Allen since 2010 when he first suited up as a Golden Bear. Always love to see my bears in bolts.

Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 9.27.46 AM.png
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    To be fair, he is somewhat right. Every Sunny needs a Cher. Every Marvin Harrison needs a Wayne, Every Eric Decker needs a DT, I'm not saying a guy who can beat the outside coverage to take things off the top needs to necessarily be a #1 Although it would be awesome to have a Josh Gordon, Torey Smith, and (dare I say it) Vincent Jackson type of guy to team Allen up with.

Allen is just starting his NFL career but it appears the game isn't too big for him, he is really stepping up in a big way. Rivers already has been looking for him 4 times in the end zone and targeting him 12 times last night, I'd say whether it's prototypical or not he is our number one WR
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    First, how dare you defile this Charger room with such filth.
    Second, though Sonny clearly wanted a Cher, I believe the Cher realized she needed no Sonny.

sonny_and_cher -p.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  23. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    Lol well I am pretty sure I said in there " the more I see of Allen, the more I can't wait to see what he becomes". Furthermore I am pretty sure I also said "I love that trio of WR's, I'm just not in love".

And no Allen does not have deceptive speed, he has deceptive route running, and the ability to create space on underneath routes with sheer agility. Many times last night in a straight line he couldn't get space from Toler going up field.

I am simply saying eventually defenses are not going to allow those short underneath routes all the time because we have no one to stretch the field, and a lack of a running game.