1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Rating the first 3 rounds...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by SanDiegoRon, Apr 28, 2007.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,432 / 19 / -4
    Polk has NEGATIVE pass rushing ability and would be a better fit inside which is where he's almost always been scheduled to play at. OLBs need to be able to rush the passer to be effective and Polk sure as HELL can't do that.
  2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +347 / 0 / -0

This draft so far has given us precisely what we needed. I like Davis-fast, good route runner and soft hands. He's going to create coverage problems when he's on the field with Gates and Jackson and when we go three wide outs there will be single coverage of atleast one guy who should be doubled and the mismatches on Gates will become routine.

Weddle goes a bit over 200, so he's got adequate size, but I expect him to play at around 210. Kiel was under 210 and Weddle is an upgrade over him. There's a size limit at which a safety becomes too big to move well enough in coverage on deeper routes or to jump the short ones. Weddle has played a number of DB positions well and he has grit. Timing and leverage are what make good tacklers. The Linebackers and DB's that made up the steel curtain weren't especially large. Good special teams guy, too.

Waters was hurt early in the season, so I expect he'll be ready for drills come mini camp, but not contact. He should be recovered for that by training camp. He still posted some decent numbers in workouts for the scouts. By the time training camp rolls around I suspect he'll run around 4.5. Plenty fast for a guy with his instincts and unpleasant disposition. I also suspect he'll be ready to contribute sooner than expected, especially on special teams.

An A for needs, B+ for talent, so far.

I'm thinking we should reach for Barbre in the fourth and Walter Thomas in the fifth round. Since we have the luxury of time with Walter Thomas, I would like to see how he would work on the O line. This is mostly wishful thinking. Tomorrow is a crap shoot.
  3. hoff529

hoff529 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    They filled needs but at what price. We (the fans) don't really know whats going on. I woulda felt alot better if AJ had burned all those draft picks to move up and grab Nelson or Meachem. I just think that was alot to give up. I almost did a double take and began to look for Bethard. Ya it was that eye opening. If this guy is great than super. To be continued
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    Draft picks

Davis = B (Should have traded up for Griffen or Meachem)
    Weddle = B (Considering what we gave up for him)
    Waters - C (Ive never even heard of this guy until today)

Players in terms of need an talent

Davis = A (Speed an agility)
    Weddle = A (ball hawk)
    Waters = C+ (I dont know him)
  5. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +820 / 0 / -0
    Nope, nice try. :lol:
  6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    He will... He will!:lol:

Again you are seeing that I am right.... LOSER!
  7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    When I say he is undersized I mean I would like him to tack on about 10 more pounds.