1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Replacement Refs for the start of Regular Season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerJeff, Aug 29, 2012.

1. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    via Twitter

NFL Memo @AlbertBreer "In light of the state of negotiations, we'll have replacement crews when the regular season begins"

@AlbertBreer "Our negotiations with the game officials remain deadlocked"

---Yikes---

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,755 / 39 / -8
    Great... Look at it this way... No week 1 Hochuli screw job! :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112 / 3 / -0
    This may benefit some teams, the * season!:rolleyes:

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,895 / 48 / -26
    Anyone see the Pats/Giants game tonight? The refs took 5 minutes to get a single call right. They had to all huddle up twice. If this is what's in store, we're seriously ******.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,447 / 36 / -16
    I'm mailing Norv a giant crate of red flags...

Red Flag Holder.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Referees, NFL try and fail to reach an agreement

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 1, 2012, 12:36 PM EDT

Getty Images
    Shortly after the NFL told all 32 teams to be ready for replacement officials for Week One, reports emerged that one final negotiating session between the league and the locked out referees could result in a last-minute deal. But that deal is not going to get done.

Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times reportsthat an NFL officiating source said there were last-ditch talks between the NFL Referees Association and the league, but those talks failed. And no further talks are scheduled.

So the much-criticized replacement officials will, in fact, be on the field when the NFL’s regular season kicks off next week. And given the way negotiations have gone so far, replacement officials could be on the field for several weeks.

The replacement officials, whose experience is mostly at the small-college level, have at times appeared to be overwhelmed while working NFL preseason games. The NFL will just have to hope that they’re up to the task next weeks, because those officials will be making calls that count.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/01/referees-nfl-try-and-fail-to-reach-an-agreement/

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    But they got the call right, does it really matter how long it took

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,895 / 48 / -26
    Is that a serious question? :cautious:

You really don't care how long it takes the refs to figure out a call? How many bathroom breaks do you need? ;)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    No I dont as long as the call is correct, who cares how long it takes. The NFL is all ready looking at extending the game, they review every turnover, they review every touchdown, they have timeouts after every score, every kickoff, every punt, they have timeouts at the 2minute warning, and almost after every turnover, and they make sure the networks get a minimum amount of comercials in, why should we complain about how long it takes to getting the call right.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,895 / 48 / -26
    So, they complain about the drop in ticket sales, while they take every opportunity to create more stoppages to squeeze in more commercials on TV. That's the NFL in a nutshell.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,304 / 12 / -5
    Reviewing every TD added less than a minute to each game last season.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    So Blue, let me get this straight: You would rather the refs totally fubar a call so you don't have to wait an extra minute? Am I understanding you correctly? Are you in some kind of hurry?

[​IMG]

Holy ADHD Batman.

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,895 / 48 / -26
    Do you get a special thrill from hitting the disagree button to every post you aren't in agreement with? :rolleyes:

What I want are refs that actually know what the ******* rules are of the game they are officiating. It's that too much to ask? :confused:

14. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    I disagreed with two of your posts. That's what the "disagree" button is for.

Also, I'll answer your second question when you answer mine: Is the time spent on the call more important than getting a call correct?

15. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    It amazes me how this forum has went to hell in a handbasket. Where is Trumpy when you need him? :sick:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,895 / 48 / -26
    And posting your DS9 face palm gif...... I guess that's standard for every post you're in disagreement with as well. :rolleyes:

If an inordinate amount of time is spent getting a call right because the refs don't know the rules, then yes, it's a problem....... whether they finally get it correct or not. Is that so hard to get?

These replacement refs have blown many calls this preseason. If you haven't noticed, then you weren't paying attention.

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,599 / 48 / -6
    After every game the regular ref's are crucified on these very forms for all the bad calls they make, least the replacements have an excuse.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    While accuracy under the hood is great, it really would be nice to see more calls gotten right the first time. It's not that I'm in a big hurry - I'd just like to see the quality of the game given as much importance as the spinning of the turnstile.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Facing the truth is tough. Scapegoats are a very necessary commodity.

20. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,599 / 48 / -6
    I say take what you can get away with and push it to the limits.

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,895 / 48 / -26
    It shouldn't be necessary for the coaches to use their challenges on routine plays that any ref should be able to see on their own. Norv had two the other day that were obvious to anyone with a pair of eyes.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I'm right there with ya. The only plus side to that situation was that the Norv detractors had to either shut up or learn to be more creative.

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,895 / 48 / -26
    I personally don't want to see a trainer following the coach around with a defibrillator.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    At least we'll know that at some point in time he was considered to have brain activity. That's far more than I can say for many of his detractors.

25. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    I didn't ask you about if they know the rules or not, only about your issue with the time they took to make the correct call. Their qualifications are irrelevant. The only thing "hard to get" in this line of questioning is how you can't seem to answer a simple, straightforward question without resorting to an ad hominem argument or lame attempts to mock me. So let's try this one more time:

What is more important, TIME or ACCURACY?

Your first post in this thread was to complain about refs making a correct call after 5 minutes. A CORRECT call. Then you mocked H8rs post asking if he was posing a "serious question" about the refs getting the call correct because of the time needed. Then you have the nerve to act surprised I mocked you in turn. LOL crymore

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,895 / 48 / -26
    What you fail to get it that they are both important. What you seem to want to gloss over, is that the replacement refs have failed in both making timely calls, and in making accurate calls. They have shown an inability to do the job properly. That is what truly matters.

I'll leave the hair splitting and pettiness to you....... it's what you seem to enjoy.

27. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    My big concern against this thing is that the replacement refs are allowing for a little more hitting then the regulars. Which leads me to believe that after a serious injury the NFL will finally make the move to negotiate.

So how many games will be lost in week 1 due to the replacement refs? I say 3

28. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,599 / 48 / -6
    You dance with who brung you. The NFL has chosen to go down this path with the Refs, the teams are all on the same level with the officiating. Coaches should know the rules and be at the ready whenever an incident occurs for questioning. The flow of the game may ebb and lead to more problems for teams than missed calls or the wrong calls. JMHO.

29. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    The NFL is so full of themselves when in one breathe they say, "we want to protect players safety" then turn around and take on the attitude of "Anyone can ref and NFL game.' idk. JMO

30. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    NO, what you fail to get is that your initial argument was that the refs can't do their job right because they took their time and MADE THE CORRECT CALL!!!! That is all that should matter. What you are really crying about is that they aren't quick enough for you, which is a ******* stupid complaint IMO and a few others as well. If you were on trial, wouldn't you want the jury to deliberate as long as possible to make sure they delivered a correct verdict? Probably not since you seem to have the attention span of a 5 year old.

LOL ok way to not answer the simplest of questions. If making a correct call is your idea of an inability to do their job properly then there's something seriously wrong with your way of thinking and I'm glad you're not my boss.

:roflmao: