1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Replacement Refs for the start of Regular Season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerJeff, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,822 / 39 / -8
    I cant wait for the regular refs to get back and take too much time to make a call...

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,304 / 12 / -5
    [​IMG]

3. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    well if you give a jury long enough time they will start to convince each other and doubt their own judgements which could cost you dearly. Just because they are not doing it in a timely fashion does not mean they are getting it right.

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,936 / 48 / -26
    No, it wasn't initially an argument at all...... but you decided to jump in and make it one.

I complained about how long it took for the refs to figure out a call, and SDRadierH8er replied that as long as they got the call right should it matter how long it took. So, I replied with skepticism, since I've yet to meet a fan who enjoyed waiting around for the refs to figure out what the hell they're doing.

The quality of the game is affected by the replacement refs, since they don't properly understand the rules. Making a timely decision is important, as well as making a correct one. The idea that it doesn't matter how long they take, as long as they make the right call is ludicrous. Under your definition, the refs could take 15 minutes, an hour, whatever, so long as they eventually get the call right.

Sorry, but the NFL is in the entertainment business....... if the refs drag out the time to takes them to make calls, then it effects the quality of the product. What the discussion is really about, is whether the replacement refs are doing the job properly. They are not. These refs have made multiple glaring mistakes, not just tardy calls. If you're too blind to see that, then there's no helping you.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    In this case the refs did get it right. Even though you make a fine point it is irrelevant to this argument.
    Post #4, and your main complaint is the time. Again, you brought it up and a few people took issue. I'm not talking about the whole preseason, I'm not talking about another game, I'm taking about the ONE CALL you felt the need to post about. They got it RIGHT and that's what you bring up? The call was correct. End of story. Why not just say the replacement refs are **** (which I agree with).

Consider yourself introduced to a fan who wants them to take as long as they need to get it RIGHT, because people are still crying over a wrong Ed Hochuli call in Denver aren't they? Don't you wish he would have gotten it correct?

6. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    saved lol

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,936 / 48 / -26
    ONE CALL? I've made numerous comments in the various threads dealing with the replacement refs saying that I think they are not doing a good job.

For some reason, you are hung up on one comment I made, as if the only thing I complained about was the time it took for the refs to make a call..... it is just one comment among many. If you read other threads, and I assume you do, then you would've seen this was hardly my first criticism of the replacement refs.

In no uncertain terms, they stink. They don't know the rules, they make obvious blunders that even the most casual fan can clearly see, and thus are an embarrassment to the league.

[​IMG]

8. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    the refs huddle up reminds me of Family Fued when one family is trying to come up with an answer.. lol

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    Nope, I don't follow you or keep track of people posting all over the forum, nor do I care what you said in another topic, I was only talking about this one post in this one topic. I was never arguing if they were good or bad.

I have seen a grand total of 5 preseason games, and of those 5 I watched 0 in their entirety. I don't care for the glorified practice games anymore, though this is irrelevant to the conversation as well. I know the refs have done a bad job, but we're stuck with them for the foreseeable future, so shouldn't we at least hope they get more calls right than wrong, regardless of the time it takes? It's not rocket surgery.

10. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    They just need to get it right. I don't care if it takes 60 to 90 seconds longer. Gives me extra time to take a leak or cut up some limes. ;)

I think some opinions may change if they rush and get one of the calls wrong that sets the Chargers back some yards or points.

11. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    interesting conversation as 1 poster wants things to be better and the other 1 is accepting it as it is.

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,936 / 48 / -26
    I suppose if I had worded my comment...... "Even when the refs get a call right, it takes them 5 minutes to make it", you wouldn't have gotten your panties in a bunch over it. :laugh:

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Fixed it for ya. Less embarrassing than needing fruit for your beer.:tup:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    Who's accepting anything?

15. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    I'm calmer than you are dude.

16. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    Blue Bolt said:
    ONE CALL? I've made numerous comments in the various threads dealing with the replacement refs saying that I think they are not doing a good job.

For some reason, you are hung up on one comment I made, as if the only thing I complained about was the time it took for the refs to make a call..... it is just one comment among many. If you read other threads, and I assume you do, then you would've seen this was hardly my first criticism of the replacement refs.

In no uncertain terms, they stink. They don't know the rules, they make obvious blunders that even the most casual fan can clearly see, and thus are an embarrassment to the league.​
    Nope, I don't follow you or keep track of people posting all over the forum, nor do I care what you said in another topic, I was only talking about this one post in this one topic. I was never arguing if they were good or bad.

I have seen a grand total of 5 preseason games, and of those 5 I watched 0 in their entirety. I don't care for the glorified practice games anymore, though this is irrelevant to the conversation as well. I know the refs have done a bad job, but we're stuck with them for the foreseeable future, so shouldn't we at least hope they get more calls right than wrong, regardless of the time it takes? It's not rocket surgery.
    :rolleyes:

17. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    I accept we're stuck with them, bad refs or not. Correct. My bad.

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,936 / 48 / -26
    LOL...... you must not read your posts........

Calm....... Yeah, you're way calmer than me. :roflmao:

19. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    Post taken from another thread, completely out of context. :rolleyes:

Grasping at straws much?

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,936 / 48 / -26
    Out of context?...... perhaps.

Out of character?........ no. ;)

21. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    Leave his penis out of this!!:roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    A couple of posts on a forum and you know me? Ok. :rolleyes:

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,936 / 48 / -26
    Clever, the old small penis insult....... you really must've been a hit in junior high school.

Oops!...... you're not still in junior high school, are you?

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,936 / 48 / -26
    Replacement ref making the jump from six-man football to the NFL
    Posted by Michael David Smith on September 3, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT

One of the NFL’s replacement officials isn’t just adjusting to calling games involving bigger, stronger and faster players. He’s also adjusting to a game with 22 players on the field, instead of 12.

Wayne Bernier has spent the last four weeks alternating between refereeing six-man football games at small Texas high schools and then working preseason games in the NFL. Bernier told theAmarillo Globe-News that it’s not as big a difference as you might think.

“You have seen it on TV and see this big field,” Bernier said. “But you walk in andit’s still a 100-yard field just like out at Dick Bivins Stadium [where Amarillo high school teams play]. There are more people. That’s all.”

Bernier has been training with the NFL since June and said that while he was taken aback by the athletes at first, he’s ready for it now.

“Humbling is what I’d first say I experienced because you are in awe, but you are there to do a job,” Bernier said. “You don’t get star struck. I had a lot to learn. I had to get acclimated to the speed. That’s the difference between any level and the NFL, the speed and size. But one thing is easier. They are so skilled and know how to catch a football. Now, the harder part is they have the chance to learn more technique, and they know how to hold better.”

Despite the widespread criticism that the NFL’s replacement officials have received, Bernier says the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

“You learn they all are human beings,” Bernier said. “They are in this spotlight all the time, but they are just human. And they are class acts, like Andy Reid. We all know he just lost his son, and there is emotion there. And then most of the players have been cordial. You hear every once in a while a ‘Oh, that’s why you are here’ comment. But most of them slap you on the butt and say, ‘Good job.’”

Most fans have wanted to kick the replacement officials in the butt and say, “Bad job” so far this preseason, but whether the fans like it or not, the NFL is about to start its season with refs whose experience comes from levels much, much lower than professional football.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,936 / 48 / -26
    I quoted you accurately, did I not? So, you're now disavowing your comment?

26. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    Quoted accurately yes, but completely out of context. I will reiterate, since it's from an entirely different topic, it is totally irrelevant to this topic, just as any other post I made anywhere on the forum would be as well. Your insistence on trying to use it shows what a horrible debater you actually are. You made a dumb post got called out, and now you're just running around in circles with me. So, I'll do you a favor and say this conversation is over.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,936 / 48 / -26
    LOL...... I guess you have no sense of irony, eh? :rolleyes:

Your statement about me......
    I reply with an example of your "calm" demeanor on the forum.

Your response......

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,822 / 39 / -8
    HEY! No fightin without me... What are we fighting about again?

Did someone let Corpsie back in?

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,936 / 48 / -26
    [​IMG]
    San Diego Chargers head coach Norv Turner, left, argues with an official during the second half of an NFL preseason football game against the San Francisco 49ers in San Francisco, Thursday, Aug. 30, 2012

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,822 / 39 / -8
    Norv: "No... Really, he put his finger up there like this!"
    Ref: "Oh man that boys gonna need some preperation H."