1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Report: Chargers, Dwight Freeney near deal

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, May 18, 2013.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/may/18/chargers-dwight-freeney-melvin-ingram-tom-telesco/

The loss of Melvin Ingram has the Chargers reportedly on the brink of signing Dwight Freeney.
    The two sides are "close to finalizing a deal" that will reunite Freeney with general manager Tom Telesco, CBS's Jason LaCanfora reported early Saturday morning. Freeney helps fill a pass-rusher void created Tuesday when Ingram, a second-year outside linebacker, suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in practice.
    Telesco has since been busy.
    Later that day, a visit with Freeney was arranged. On Wednesday, Freeney arrived in San Diego and took a physical. On Thursday, the 33-year-old left town, and the Chargers signed outside linebacker Thomas Keiser, all the while keeping an eye on adding Freeney, arguably the top pass rusher on the market.
    The 33-year-old spent the first 10 years of his career as a Colts defensive end. He switched to outside linebacker last year when Indianapolis moved from a 4-3 to 3-4 defensive scheme. After suffering a high ankle sprain in September, he finished with 12 tackles and five sacks. His 34 hurries and nine hits on the quarterback were both team highs despite missing two games.
    Freeney has 107.5 sacks since in 2002, fourth most in the NFL over that span.
    Telesco is very familiar with him, having spent the past 15 years in Indianapolis before taking the Chargers' job in January.
  2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 30 / -0
    Freeney seems like the best we can hope to get at this point. As for the defensive scheme, Phillips spent a significant percentage of snaps last year playing from a three point stance, so I don't think it would take much tweaking to our scheme to accommodate Freeney's style.
  3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,332 / 35 / -15
    "What could possibly go wrong?!?"

--Bob

Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 7.18.45 AM.png
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
  5. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 30 / -0
    The only similarity is that they are both ex-Colts. Sanders spent most of his career on IR. Freeney is a future hall of famer.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
  7. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 30 / -0
    Great news. We HAD to get somebody to rush the passer besides English. I love Liguet, but we could not go into the season with him as our best pass rusher. If Freeney does stay around for two years, we will have a nice rotational pass rusher to use next season when Ingram comes back.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
    NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Chargers have agreed to terms with Dwight Freeney, formerly of the Colts, on a two-year contract.
    33-year-old Freeney recorded 12 tackles and five sacks in the Colts' 3-4 defense last season, but it wasn't a particularly strong fit for his skill set. He was expected to eye a return back to the 4-3, but money talks and the Chargers had a huge need for a pass rusher after losing Melvin Ingram to a torn ACL. Freeney should see significant snaps opposite Jarret Johnson, and the Chargers have already stated that they could tinker their defense to suit the veteran.
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
    I love the Kaiser signing a lot more with Freeney in the mix, we'll be using a lot of 4-3 under now kind of how they do in Seattle and what we did last year when we played Denver
  10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,332 / 35 / -15
    I wish that were true.
    Both were long time Colts.
    Both also had a history of absolute greatness, while in their prime.
    Both came to the Chargers on the downside of their careers.
    Both came with injury issues in their most recent seasons.
    Both were a less than perfect fit for the defenses they were coming to.
    Both were kind of desperation moves (before Ingram's injury, this discussion never happens).

Look, now that Freeney's a Charger, I'm going to root for the guy 100%
    and hope that he can be 80-90% of the guy he was as a Colt. Oh, and
    he's definitely fun to watch

But if the move doesn't pay off, I'm probably not going to pretend not to remember the Sanders experiment
  11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
  12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
    I have a feeling this has something to do with the money we'll be getting June 1st

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk
    14s

Source: Contract isn't signed yet, but there's an agreement in place between the Chargers and Dwight Freeney.
  13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Glad it is 2 years. Should make it fun with him and Ingram in 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Well guess I gotta root for him now... Go Freeney Go!
  15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
    Chris Mortensen@mortreport
    7m

Bill Polian: "There's no question he can fit with that scheme. There are no strict 3-4 defenses, or not many."

7m
    More Polian on Freeney: "You take Dwight, you get his hand on the ground and play him for 30-to-40 snaps, let him get after the quarterback"

4m
    Chargers do plan to adapt to Freeney. As Polian said, "That's not rocket science and he can still be effective with that type of focus."

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

4m

Understand the questions about Freeney joining a 3-4 team. But teams play more than 50% sub packages. He'll rush as a DE more than anything
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
    Peyton calling Dwight leaving a message on his machine:

"Hey Dwight! Peyton calling, Hey Just heard we'll be seeing each other a lot more this season. Just remember I always did really like you, uhhhhh. Hey! do you like Pizza?
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
    Two years, $8.5 million. The contract carries a maximum value of $13.35 million, with $4.6 million tied exclusively to sacks.
  18. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,498 / 27 / -1
    I thought you were just joking at first, but you were serious?

You can't seriously compare Bob Sanders' injury history to Freeney.

Sanders played maybe one full season. His "greatness" with the Colts was a mirage because it was year after year after year of untapped promise that was never fulfilled because he was always on the IR, save that one year he won DPOY.

That's not to say Freeney can't get hurt, obviously, because anybody can (especially if they're getting older) but to compare his injury history to that of Bob Sanders is a joke.

edit: And Bob Sanders wasn't a desperation move. It was a gamble move. They signed him to a low risk contract that would pay off on the off chance he didn't get hurt again and wouldn't cost too much if/when he did.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,332 / 35 / -15
    No, I'm not comparing their overall injury history...which is why I focused on most recent (and relevant, incidentally) season...and I agree that we can split hairs on "desperation" vs. "gamble" but the two are similar enough to
    make the point I was making. Look, I'm gonna go "glass half full" from here on, because, well, as a lifer,
    what choice do I have? But there was too much similarity in the situations for me to be gung ho re. signing Freeney.
    But now he's our guy...so..."Damn can that guy rush the passer!!!" :tup:
  20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
    The deal pays $5.25 million in 2013, via a $3.25 million signing bonus, $1.5 million in guaranteed base salary, and a $500,000 roster bonus tied to Freeney’s presence on the weekly 46-man roster. (It works out to $31,250 per game.)
    Freeney is due to earn $3.5 million in 2014, $500,000 of which is linked to weekly roster bonuses.
  21. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,332 / 35 / -15
    Holy crap!!

Telescopo was supposed to use our Vons card!!
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,332 / 35 / -15
    A fan's timeline:

5/16/13 - Chargers thinking of signing Dwight Freeney

5/17/13 - Lance19: "Gee guys, I don't know if a guy this old & expensive is such a smart move for our 3-4!" :oops:

5/18/13 9:47 a.m - Chargers sign Freeney

5/18/13 9:49 a.m. - Lance19: "We've always been at war with Eastasia...and I love the way this proven vet gets to the QB!!" :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20
    Front loaded deal, It makes him much easier to cut next year.
  24. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,576 / 42 / -26
    And much harder to add a LT this year.

Two years, $8.75 million for Freeney
    Posted by Mike Florio on May 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
    Recent reports indicated that Dwight Freeney was willing to take the same base deal signed by Osi Umenyiora in Atlanta: Two years, $8.5 million.
    Freeney ended up doing a little better. If $250,000 counts as “a little.”
    Per a source with knowledge of the deal, Freeney’s two-year contract with the Chargers carries a base value of $8.75 million.
    The deal pays $5.25 million in 2013, via a $3.25 million signing bonus, $1.5 million in guaranteed base salary, and a $500,000 roster bonus tied to Freeney’s presence on the weekly 46-man roster. (It works out to $31,250 per game.)
    Freeney is due to earn $3.5 million in 2014, $500,000 of which is linked to weekly roster bonuses.
    The contract carries a maximum value of $13.35 million, with $4.6 million tied exclusively to sacks. Though the targets aren’t currently known, we’re told that the numbers are realistic, based on his past production.
  25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20
    Yup.

Shame...we coulda had Phillips and Barnes back for cheaper than 1 Freeney.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,576 / 42 / -26
    True enough. Desperate times call for desperate measures....... but why are the Chargers always acting out of desperation?
  27. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +220 / 1 / -1
    Good news. Perhaps a little more money than we were accepting, but we had a huge need come up, and props to Telesco who filled that need with the best available player on the market.

Now just a case of waiting for the money from Gaither's contract to become available cap room, watching the roster cuts from around the league, and then trying to fill our last remaining areas of need before the season starts.
  28. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Yes but I would rather have 1 Dwight Freeney than both of them combined. Barnes had very little production last year. Phillips 10 sacks should of been a lot more cause we sent him after the QB a gazillion times, plus a majority of his sacks came from lesser opponents like the Jets.
  29. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,348 / 19 / -3
    Best available option that you can build plays around and do some scheming to make very effective. It's the best option for fixing the pass rush. And while I'd like to add a tackle it's not like one's easily available or better yet a good one is easily available that we could've spent Freeney money on. Freeney as a performer >>>>>> Starks
  30. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
    UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    5m

I think it's so cool Tom Telesco believes the Chargers can contend in 2013 that I can't even bring myself to make a snarky remark about it.