1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Report: Chargers, Dwight Freeney near deal

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, May 18, 2013.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,502 / 27 / -1
    If you don't assume I'm a mind reader and re-read your post you can see that it can be read with two different connotations.

Clearly you didn't mean the one I mistook it for.
  2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +482 / 13 / -3
    Call me optimistic or whatever, but this team can win 9 or 10 games in 2013. If we won 7 games with one of the "worst (best coordinator) coach of all time", I think with a better coaching staff and front office, I think this team can do real well.

Our secondary has already improved from last year. Derek Cox is a huge upgrade over Quentin Jammer and Shareece Wright has shown flashes that he could be better than Antoine Cason. Then you have an explosive guy like Steve Williams in the slot to cover the Welker's, etc.

This team will be just fine, I think in 2013, we have a top 15 defense and offense.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,578 / 42 / -26
    I don't see how you could think I was referring to a Chargers history with the new regime...... they don't have one. :confused:
  4. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,578 / 42 / -26
    Frankly, if we had Alexander at the start of the year, rather than just the last (almost) half, we might've had 9 wins last season. One dropped pass, or missed tackle can be the difference between winning and losing in this league.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,502 / 27 / -1
    Well, I didn't think you meant their history with the Chargers so much as just saying the Chargers in general have a history of making overly desperate moves....hence the quip about clothing making moves like this.

Anyway, after your response I can grasp the connotation that basically mentions we're having to account for another injury which we seem to be plagued with.
  6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    The team last year and this year will be significantly different. Don't think they are comparable.

That doesn't mean I think you are wrong with your projection on wins, just don't think comparing last years team and this years team is valid

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
  7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,502 / 27 / -1
    Exactly.

With a coaching regime change it's hard to make any kind of prediction (even harder than it normally is anyway).

I find it hard to be overly optimistic or pessimistic about the team. I'm just in wait-and-see mode.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,578 / 42 / -26
    Exactly..... if it wasn't for bad luck, we wouldn't have any.
  9. newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    new season, new hopes, I'm excited that there are some good changes that have happened (coaching, FA signings) and some (seemingly) good pickups at the draft.

Eventually the Chargers will have one of those "glory" years, and I will always look toward the new season with optimism!

I must say I am a little excited that our new coach went after a player we needed and got him. Bring on August when I can start watching games.
  10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 30 / -0
    Clearly, we are better on offense than we were last year. Even if we have King Dunlap starting at LT, our line is better than last season. I'm really excited about the defense. Obviously, I was more excited before Melvin blew out his knee, but this can still be one of the best young defensive fronts in the NFL. Liguet and Reyes should only get better. Butler is a star. If Te'o can be a tackling machine a la Zach Thomas, this defense is going to be tough to play. The only concern I have is the pass rush, but with Freeney coming in, hopefully we can manufacture enough of a rush to allow our improved secondary to make some plays.
  11. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 30 / -0
    Huh? Why can't you compare one football team and another, especially when alot of the players are the same. Of course there will be differences, but from what I can tell, they should mostly be positive. The defense is returning six starters and the same scheme with the same coordinator. The offense is returning 7 starters from the end of last season, 8 if you count Clary at a different position. Sure the offensive scheme will be different.
  12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    The defense is returning 6 starters, which means they lost 5 (45.5%). The offense will be running a completely different system, with 80% of the OL either new or at a different position. Not saying the changes won't be positive, what I am saying is that you can't compare two things that are extremely different, which they are
  13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,335 / 35 / -15
    Okay...first, let me say that I'm not the kind of guy that takes these boards seriously enough
    that I will back-and-forth a point of contention 10 times. Since you keep taking issue with
    what I wrote I'll take one more shot at explaining it, although my friend Thomas assures me that
    my truths are already self-evident.

* I was responding to a post that said "The only similarity (between Sanders & Freeney) is that they are both ex-Colts."

While I--as a lifer--wish that alternate reality were true, I also knew that it was patently absurd,
    since the Sanders situation had popped into my mind immediately, with no less than SIX creepy
    similarities observable right off the top of my head. I'm sure that if anyone gave a damn, more than
    six could be found. But since I was replying to the notion that there was only one, just TWO
    similarities would prove my point.

1) Both Colts. No disagreement. Yay! :D 2) Great in their prime. Sanders "Defensive player of the Year 2007"...
    Freeney's record indisputable. 3) Both on downside of careers when coming to Chargers. How is this not 100% true?
    One would have to argue that Freeney, at 33 is currently at his peak, to dispute this. 4) "Injury issues in their most recent seasons." By "seasons" I was referring to each man's most recent season, before coming to S.D. 2010 was the season that Sanders' chronic injuries finally convinced the Colts to give up on him. 2012 was an indisputably worse year, injury-wise for Freeney than 2010 or 2011. You always want injuries to be as far from the current day as possible.
    5) Less than a perfect fit. Sanders takes some explaining, but Freeney does not...no one's even arguing that he's
    an ideal fit for a 3-4 6) Desperation: Sanders only happens because Colts finally have no faith he'll ever be healthy,
    Freeney we absolutely ignored for months because the age/injury/$$ made no sense...but Ingram's injury forced our hand.

Again, if my argument is that it is not the case that the sole similarity is that they were both Colts,
    I'm just not sure why I'm getting so much sh/t for saying something that seems undeniable.
    (even if one wants to endlessly quibble with one or two of these)
    As a Charger fan, I'm now on the Freeney bandwagon, thus, all this is now moot...
  14. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,249 / 12 / -5
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  15. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 30 / -0
    I'm not giving you sh/t. I just don't agree. There are very few similarities between the careers of Sanders and Freeney. When we signed Sanders, it was a longshot that he would stay healthy. Freeney is on the back end of his career, but he's never had the injury problems of Sanders. I think if they both weren't ex-Colts, you would not have even made the comparison.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 30 / -0
    I find it hard to be anything but optimistic. The team has improved.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,018 / 33 / -20
    Every fan of every team feels this way after the draft though.

JMO, but what separates the wheat from the chaff in the end is QB play, and I'm not convinced we did enough to protect Rivers. McCoy and Wiz will have to be brilliant.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    Mathews is still our RB, the line appears to be roughly the same from a pass-pro standpoint, our pass rush is still rather dubious looking, and we don't know whether our CB situation just got better, worse, or stayed the same (and staying the same is bad). Meanwhile, one of our division rivals massively upgraded themselves at QB and HC, after giving us 2 Ws last season.

I'm saving my optimism until after I see a slant.
  19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,335 / 35 / -15
    The question isn't "Are the Chargers improved since the draft?"

The question is: "Are the Chargers better off--relative to the other 31 teams--since the draft?"
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,502 / 27 / -1
    I'm wait and see there as well.

We didn't make any huge splashes and missed out on the bigger LT targets in the draft thanks in large part to the draft's lack of depth everywhere else, but there were still changes made to the line, to include a change of the OL coach.

Will this lead to a positive change? I don't know, but that's why I say wait-and-see. I'm neither optimistic nor pessimistic about our OL for 2013.
  21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    That's is up for debate. IMO, Smith sucks and was a result of Harbaugh just like Cassell was a result of having John McDaniels and Charlie Weis in his only 2 years he was good. Smith was only good in the 2 years he had Harbaugh.

The Broncs are better than us, but that will change the moment Manning retires or hits the brick wall the same way Fave did out of nowhere. Go look at what Favre did between 2009 and 2010
  22. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,578 / 42 / -26
    Actually, Smith was decent in his one year under Norv too. What you're really saying, is that the coach and the system do matter to the success of a QB.
  23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Absolutely.

As for his "descent year with Norv", you really call 2,890 yards, 16 TD's and 16 Int's with a 74.8 QB rating, a descent year?
  24. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    It's hardly decent, but when you compare it to Cassel last year, it's a significant improvement:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/8644/matt-cassel
  25. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,578 / 42 / -26
    LOL...... that should've been "decent", not "descent" ;)

Compared to his rookie year, and the year after Norv left, yeah it's not bad. Having a different OC nearly every season seriously messed up Smith's development. A QB needs a good coach and the right system... and they need stability to thrive.
  26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Compare both players 2 best years and Cassell's were better. I am in no way saying Cassell is good, I am simply saying Smith is bad and is not an improvement over Cassell
  27. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,578 / 42 / -26
    But won't that be affected by the system that Reid uses? Smith played well in SF when he was asked to play in the Martyball "low risk" style. He's not a playmaker, but he can be a decent game manager.
  28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    And since when has Reid ever asked any QB to be "Low risk"?
  29. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,578 / 42 / -26
    Well, the so-called West Coast offense of short quick passes, is a lower risk offense than Norv's Coryell-style deep ball offense. That is what I was referring to.
  30. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,335 / 35 / -15
    Aside from the injury-demon that wrecks so many NFL careers prematurely,
    I think an argument can be made that Alex Smith is the unluckiest s.o.b. in the league.
    What has he had now, 163 different offensive coordinators?
    Before tattoo boy ran wild at Candlestick, it looked like Smith's luck had finally turned.