1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Report: Chargers have the 'mental fortitude' to over come

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    From this article:
    http://www.chargers.com/news/articl...r-Week-2/6659dbf2-9577-469b-9be8-3d6c05f7e67f

History says otherwise. Looking at the play in the second half of the game vs. the Texans the Chargers lacked the mental fortitude as well as scheme, depth, karma what ever you wish to hang your hat on. My two biggest worries are 3rd downs for the D (depth maybe, scheme assuredly) and Rivers.

Rivers when faced with adversity recently (as far back as a season and a half) crumbles. His mechanics go to pot and his play gets erratic. Is he trying to hard? To me this does not speak of mental fortitude at all.

That said I do like this:
    If nothing else they will talk the talk Monday through Saturday. Lets hope it carries over to Sundays. Philly may not be all their game vs. the Redskins made them out to be, but I shudder when I look at the 3rd down performance of our D.

In the end, truth is this:
  2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    Short week....Game on the road vs the team that runs the most offensive plays. Surely, we can't have another late game breakdown like Monday night. ;)
  3. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    LOL... If it is anything like the game Philly/Washington last week it may be a coin flip breakdown...
  4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575 / 44 / -6
    Basically "Killer Instinct" which has been missing for years, although, never fully acquired or utilized to it's most extreme intent during any given duration in teams history.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    Good observation........ I think we once had some grit, but "killer instinct" might be putting it too strongly. Talented is probably the most you could've said of some prior teams.
  6. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    You might be right. Killer Instinct might be too over the top. Most teams will not run up the score due to unwritten rules of etiquette... But many will not take their foot off the gas until much later in the game with a lead.
  7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I agree, they have the "mental fortitude," just not a lot of them have the physical talent. Maybe against an equally lacking in depth side like the Eagles it will show less. It could well be that we're not "rebuilding" but rather "reloading," only problem is that we only had enough money on the debit card to buy 4 boxes of shells and the Walmart we went to has a limit on how much ammo you can buy in a single trip.

And somehow my analogy turned into a John Singleton movie...
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    You're problem here is invoking Walmart.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Well, I needed something that said "place you can go to legally acquire ammo" as opposed to invoking the trunk of some guy's Chrysler LeBaron at the end of a shady alley.
  10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,446 / 19 / -4
    They really haven't shown it since 2009 maybe; put up or shut up Chargers
  11. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    A consistent running game would fix a lot of this team's problems.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    So a better OL?
  13. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,575 / 44 / -6
    DC's disregard the run when playing San Diego and play pass first. They can gamble on the fact of two years of no consistency on the ground and that the Bolts will abandon the run as soon as they get behind. Bolt receivers always seem to be blanketed forcing perfect throws on every play and the rush to the QB is unimpeded.

I'd like to see McCoy pound the rock until the O-line gets it right and forces teams into the box and commit to the run. As much as I like watching the Aeriel game it all starts on the ground and grows from there. I'd much rather see smash mouth football from both sides of the LOS than whatever in hell it is the Bolts have been doing the last two years plus one game this year. Where the hell is Chuck Knox when you need him?.
  14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Well, Clary managing to execute more than one pull per game without falling down (and that's being generous, he literally fell flat on his face four or five times on Monday - that's 10% of our offense plays and Clary's taking himself out of the play) would certainly help.
  15. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    There was a time when Clary was a serviceable OL. That time has been gone at least 2 season. Something for TT to look at correcting in the next draft unless there is an FA out there at home right now.
  16. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    It continues to be AJ's legacy that even our backup GUARDS can't win the new position from Clary - a switch for him. Troutman??
  17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Highly doubt there's anyone out there right now - which is depressing, but true, considering how much of a liability Clary has shown he can be. At least at RG he's able to get assistance in pass-pro, but that also hangs Fluker out on a limb early to have to iso-block at such a young point in his development.

I'm just hopeful that we keep D'Alessandris around long enough for him to have input on the next several drafts - the kind of "more athletic" guards he's seemed to prefer (going off his time in Buffalo) are typically still available in the 3rd and 4th rounds; they just tend to be the guys who played tackle collegiately but don't aren't quite quick enough to man the edge at the next level. Zach Martin from Notre Dame is such a player. Gabe Jackson may be higher than most of us would want to spend on a guard, but he has potential to be a true standout as a drive-blocker if we continue to implement a lot of zone blocking. And I could see Spencer Long being someone that McCoy and Telesco could take a shine to, considering the "blue collar"/"football player" mentality they seemed to value in this last draft.
  18. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Yes. It became clear to me that AJ was living off the (false?) reputation he attained when he fleeced the Giants in his draft where he took Ecry and traded for Rivers....
  19. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,137 / 4 / -0
    Whether the Chargers have the "mental fortitude" is not so much of a question as whether they have the INTESTINAL fortitude to play hard through all four quarters of a football game. They can talk a great game, and sometimes even play one through the first half; but when the going gets tough, the Chargers wilt like flowers in the desert sun.

I'm not going to predict an entire season on what we saw in the opener, but the team has a looooong way to go to be competitive in this league.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,380 / 36 / -16
    Hey, LG, :) I wouldn't argue for one second against the notion that the Chargers
    collapsed in an epic, humiliating and inexcusable fashion Monday night.

But they sure looked "competitive" to me (having led the game for almost 3 and a half quarters)
    against a team that is supposed to be among the league's top 10...
  21. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    I would say 35 minuted they looked competitive. I wish I could put my finger on what the break down was after the first drive of the 2nd half.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +414 / 5 / -0
    I think the answer is...San Diego needs a better team. That would help.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,575 / 44 / -6
    Complacency within the individual game where a big lead is afforded to the Bolts comes to mind. There is a disconnect for whatever reason like they're conditioned not to run up the score, or just sit back in cruise control and then fall asleep at the wheel.
  24. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    Unfortunately, we have a lot of people playing in the secondary who are either new, or inexperienced (or both). That leads to blunders like the bad coverage on those 3rd and long plays.

The real question, is whether that group can come together as a unit and play their assignments correctly, before we dig ourselves too big a hole to crawl out of. The jury is out.
  25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,575 / 44 / -6
    Playing in a zone one has to be in his containment area. As you noted there is youth and new additions in the D-backfield hopefully they have learned from this blunder. Since its not all rooks back there, I'd hope the vets get working the system and can walk the kids through any future coverage schemes if there is any doubt call a time out.
  26. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    A lot of attention was placed on the O-line needing time to gel as a unit. Well, I'd say it's just as important for the secondary. We've had a big turnover from last season, and they need time to get on the same page. You'd like to think this could be accomplished before the season starts, but that's obviously not the case here.
  27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,575 / 44 / -6
    O-lines do need to gel to be cohesive as a unit and work in a limited space. Secondaries, like O-lines also need to become one in thought and movement to cover a vastly larger area of containment rather than breakout. Young'uns will get lost in the expanse and so did the vets on Monday Night. The DB's should be able to close it up by game six where reads, signals and called plays are understood. from that point on I'd hope they get better as the season wore on. O-lines are a bit more intricate due to close quarter space, a play can be blown up in such short time and space they have to play in unison.
  28. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    I don't disagree with any of that. I was just pointing out that many people were focused on the new O-line, and ignored the fact that the secondary was at least as much a work in progress.
  29. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,575 / 44 / -6

You're right, folks are going to blame whoever is the flavor of the moment. Hell, the Bolts need to get rid of Rivers , Clary,
    Mathews and anyone else you'd like to name. I'd never hump bush without someone that I know and if I'm playing safety you better run and stay tight, I ain't losing cause of you!!!!!!
  30. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -0
    Right now Telesco and McCoy are trying to make lemonade out of ... our roster. It will probably take 2 to 3 years to build good team with some depth. This isn't a "2-14 and stinking up the joint" bad team we are talking about here. My expectation is that they will probably be a game away from 8-8 plus or minus. Along the way, lets hope they learn how to finish!
    • Like Like x 1