1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Rivers' contract has been restructured... Butler deal coming?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Dublin Bolt, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +405 / 7 / -1
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    UTKevinAcee ‏@UTKevinAcee 2m
    Chargers gain almost $2 million million in cap space in '13 and $1.6 mil in next 2 years by slight restructure of Philip Rivers' contract.|

[​IMG] UTKevinAcee ‏@UTKevinAcee 1m
    Resutructure of Philip Rivers' deal is simply moving money around. He got $5 million of this year's $12 million salary as a signing bonus
  3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    By Michael Gehlken
    9:25 a.m. Sept. 6, 2013

The Chargers created $3.32 million in 2013 cap space this week by
    reworking Philip Rivers' contract.

The move was done to sign a player, a source with knowledge of the deal
    said.

Rivers was due to earn $12 million in base salary this season. The
    restructure adds no new money to the quarterback's contract that runs
    through 2015, simply transferring $5 million of that $12 million into
    signing bonus. The bonus becomes prorated over the life of the three
    remaining years, hence the approximate $3.3 in new space.

This effort could be an indication the team is positioning itself to
    re-sign linebacker Donald Butler to a contract extension. Talks had been
    quiet on that front, sources said earlier this week, but if an extension
    is to be achieved this calendar year, it must be done before the Monday
    night opener against the Texans.

The two sides, being the Chargers and Eugene Parker, Butler's agent, are
    not expected to discuss a contract extension during the season.

A source familiar with those discussions said Friday morning there is
    "nothing new at this time."

"We'll see what happens," the source added.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +175 / 2 / -1
    It's high time we send Butler and his agent an ultimatum...
    oops, wrong regime ;-/
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
    It would seem the money is for space to extend Butler this season...... makes perfect sense, now that Cushing has set the market.
  6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    Nice. Time to lock up Butler.
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    Loving this proactive front office right now. Usually this is when AJ takes a vacation and tells people to F off.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    I'd imagine if and when it gets done, it'll sit somewhere in between Cushing's 6 year 55 million and Lee's 6 year 42 million. Probably closer to Lee's I would hope, then again the front office in this new regime hasn't made a bad contract yet IMO.
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,422 / 19 / -4
    Could also just be to make sure the team has SOME cap space after releasing Meachem?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    Could the 3 mil ish be for the goal of finding a FA cut that can come in and fill any hole in the WR core? Or did we already get that wagon smoked??
  11. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +237 / 16 / -2
    Seems like AJ Smith is now on perma vacacay with people telling him to F off. Ah, such is the delicious circle of life!
  12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Actually, AJ seems to be doing fine, with RG3 and company.
    http://www.redskins.com/team/front-office.html

And (though I know it's not in fashion now to say so) I'm still--OVERALL--mostly happy with his years here.

In fact, I'm so enamored of AJ, that I sent both of my kids to this school, for ideal socialization skills. :D
    http://www.uscsd.info/AJSmithElem.cfm
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  13. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +237 / 16 / -2
    From your first link, he is the tenth down from the top barely above the no-pic guy! Oh my, how have the mighty fallen. if the man is going to be judged purely by his record of wins and losses, then he was one of the Charger's more winning GM's. However, stylistically he was a complete JACKASS and manged to run more talented players outta town than he managed to bring in. His acerbic style of communication left a lot to be desired.

You and I have had our disagreements about Norf and the record during his tenure. Without rehashing the same old back and forth stuff of the past, to this date I remain of the opinion that both AJ Smith and Norf Turner (more so the latter) benefited from a pool of talent amassed by someone else and their record of W's & L's is somewhat skewed to their favor because of a horrible AFCW, during those years.

In other words: AJ Smith was an overrated ARSE CLOWN ;)
  14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Well, obviously I know which way the wind is blowing (in this amazing Kardashian-Bieber-Cyrus-Lohan era)
    and am still willing to buck the trend. I just don't think the facts back up the AJ/Norv redaction...
    but, hey, it is what it is. ;)

Lots of folks here have talked about style, which is undoubtedly one of many reasons I'm out of
    step with the herd...it never, ever, ever occurred to me to give a damn about it
    (in part, because I never swallowed the meme about it significantly getting in the way of him doing his job).
    We do agree that his winning record is among the best, if not the best among all Charger GMs over
    the club's entire 53 year history. As other, future Charger GMs post equal and better records,
    I will of course give them their appropriate due. Whether they do it with style or not. :)

Style.jpg
  15. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +237 / 16 / -2
    You have a penchant for playing with words, so be it, as that seems to be your meme ;) But you knew very well as to what I exactly meant when I referred to AJ's "style". There are 31 teams in the NFL and with the exception of a very few teams (the perennial darlings) the fans of any NFL team would not be able to recall the name of the GM of the other 25-26 NFL teams, but it just happened that almost every other team's fans had heard of our previous arseclown GM, whose claim to fame, was an absolute fargall! He implied over and over gain that the success in this business was only measured by SB wins. Judging by his illustrious career both in Buffalo and over here in Chargerland, he can take all those regular season and post season W's and shove it where the Sun doesn't shine. AJ Smith evidently was not the kind of punter who people took pleasure in working for, or to eagerly send their clients over to work for him!

Of course, you may argue that, for instance, Mr. Steve Jobs was not the most pleasant person to work with either, but note that I used the word "with" and not "for"!

Apples & very sour lemons, Sir Lance-a-lot ;)
  16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    I don't think Jobs was pleasant to work with or for. But he was successful.
    Ditto AJ.
    Again, I've always judged AJ on how he performed his job. The whining about his "ego" simply amused me.
    Another poster was telling me about his impressions of Norv based on the poster's interpretations re. people in other cities,
    and you seem to be making a similar argument re. AJ. Maybe I'm not humble enough or something,
    but I always trusted my verifiable observations as a rabid, ridiculously obsessed Charger fan,
    over impressions others--much more distant from the day-to-day workings of this team--casually guessed at. Or, less gracefully, I know a lot more about Turner than the overwhelming majority of NFL fans who had much less reason to inform themselves about him.

I realize that at this point the thing to do is pile on, as AJ & Norv are former Chargers.
    Maybe 90% here are doing it. I'm probably not ever going to redact what I saw, just to fit in.

Lastly, AJ didn't just "imply" that it was SB wins or nothing, he said it straight out, over and over.
    Which made me like him even more. The (likely) most successful Charger GM ever, was absolutely
    not content to rest on his W-L record, or say that it proved him successful. How is that bad?

(anyway, I got in a bit of trouble for making similar [and too-lengthy] arguments re. Norv...
    so please be understanding re, me not continuing to go back & forth on A.J.)

p.s. You lost me 100% on your "citrus" reference. Is that a Breaking Bad or Angry Birds joke or something?
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  17. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    If Butler hadn't died then would AJ ever be a GM anywhere?
  18. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +237 / 16 / -2
    I suspect that if you, I and Lance had to vote on that Q, the result would be 2 for Nay and 1 for Aye, but I'm merely guessing ;)
  19. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +237 / 16 / -2
    Sir Lance-a-Lot, let me summarize and concise my sentiment on AJ Smith:

The fact that judging by the mere W's vs L's, AJ Smith happens to be the most successful Chargers GM to date, is not a validation of AJ Smith's acumen and prowess on being such a wonderfully gifted NFL team GM, but rather an indication of the ineptitude of the Chargers past ownership!

I must admit that things have been improving as the torch was passed by Alex Spanos to Dean Spanos and one would just hope that this increase in football competence would continue with the younger Spanos (possibly John?) taking over someday, as he is evidently being groomed for the throne.
  20. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Given Butler's spectacular record in Buffalo, and that AJ was his right-hand man,
    (despite the current tendency to "re-write the history") it's hard to believe that not one of the 32
    clubs wouldn't have signed AJ, in the hopes that they would be getting some of that Butler magic.

I don't think that one would need to be an A.J. fan to have that particular view...
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  21. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    I don't disagree with most of that (and I've never said AJ was amazingly wonderful...just--OVERALL--good).

You are 100% right about the history of this club, which has always been a major factor in my position:
    For years I asked those who were hysterical about AJ:
    "Okay, given the track record of this franchise, and the undeniable nepotism of the Spanos ownership,
    what do you think are the chances of AJ being replaced with someone more successful?

Are you trying to make my point for me, or is it just working out that way? :p

(again, as I said before, I just got in a bit of trouble for making similar [and too-lengthy] arguments re. Norv...so I will
    not be doing an extended back & forth on A.J. I've said my peace...if you want a "last word," go for it) :tup:
  22. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
    So......... the Colts hired Jimmy Raye in hopes of getting some of that AJ magic? ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    TT: Phil.. Phil... Philly baby! You want receivers?
    Phil: Well Shucks Mr. Telesco, yeah I would love someone to throw the ball to that wasnt names Gates...
    TT: We can do that, but you have to pay for it.
    Phil: I hate the business of this game! *walking away*