1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Rivers or Brees

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chargerpower, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Chargerpower

Chargerpower BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    So what's it going to take to keep Brees here as our long term QB? I honestly think that if he falls short of winning a playoff game, he will be traded or released. I like both Rivers and Brees, so I'll support whoever is here.
  2. BengalFan

BengalFan BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Brees is the fan favorite but, Rivers is the future.

Drew Bress is the fan favorite, after his Pro-Bowl season last year the fan support him as our quaterback, but let's face it. Rivers is the future of this organization. He started the same time as Big Ben, as has yet to start and NFL game.

You dont sign a #1 pick for that kind of money and not play him for long. He has sat his time and i believe the Chargers are going to bet on this kid for the future. They signed Gates, and LT to long term deals. And neither Gates nor LT care if Brees or Rivers is the starting QB. So at this point Drew Brees is the only one fighting for his life in the NFL. And if the Chargers think that another team would give up a 1st or 2nd round draft choice for him. He better get ready to pack his bags. Financially, the organization has too much money wrapped up in Rivers, LT, and Gates for the future, for Brees to get a really fair shot.

Im sorry but Drew Brees will be in another uniform next season, not here in Charger Blue.

Mark my word!!!
  3. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Brees is the fan favorite but, Rivers is the future.

wrong wrong wrong....the chargers will not trade drew brees. i believe rivers is far more valuable than brees. if you have seen any interview with L.T regarding drew, he loves the fact that drew is the man. L.T will be pissed if they do trade Brees. Rivers will be traded next year for picks.
  4. BengalFan

BengalFan BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    You musta had a good dream last night....heres some coffee

Dude, no team is gonna trade for a 1st round pick that has yet to start an nfl game. There is no way the Chargers can get fair market value for the kid. He is more mobile and is ready to start. But its gotta be here in SD.
  5. daniel5678

daniel5678 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Brees stays

There is no way the Chargers trade Brees. Tell me how you can trade away a young franchise quarterback who wants to stay, who doesn't cause trouble, who is one of the main reasons you went 12-4 last year, and who is going to be a perenial pro-bowler? You trade him away so you can get a higher draft pick next year??

I believe they will trade a qb next year. But why would you want to keep Rivers over Brees? Best case scenario is Rivers is a solid qb, who leads the team to the playoffs and makes some Pro-Bowls. That is BEST CASE SCENARIO. They already have that in Brees! He is one of the top-5 QBs in the league.

Oh and yes, some team will give up a high No. 1 for Rivers. Especially because of the fact his cap number will be so low. The question is if the Chargers want another high pick. They'd just have to fork out another huge bonus. Maybe they can get a Mike Williams from Detroit along with a 2nd rounder. Williams would also carry a low cap number.
  6. Chargerpower

Chargerpower BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Playoffs or not, Brees is our QB of the future. After todays game, I am full convinced that it wwould be a mistake to let him go. It doesn't matter what we get for Rivers. Brees is the guy for SD.

I am positive that Rivers will be a good QB in the NFL but we are just not willing at this piint to start over again with Rivers. We are at the cusp of greatness and need Brees to finish off his career here. LT loves him, his teammates love him, and so do the fans.

If we get a second rounder for Rivers, then I'll be happy. Yes we'll take a cap hit and yes the Spanos's lost their signing bonus money, but I say that drafting Rivers was worth it. His presence has lifted Brees's game to another level. So the debate is over, Brees is the MAN!
  7. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    Here is the way I see it.

I heard about this rumor today and it does make sense. Getting a1st rounder would be sweet! Culpepper would be reunited with Green and Minn. would get a good young QB with lots of potential.
  8. daniel5678

daniel5678 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That would be a wild trade! Who knows what Dennis Green is thinking, you could never put anything past that guy. I have watched every QB play this year and I think Culpepper is a top-10, maybe even a top-5 guy. He could really use a strong QB coach though. But I guess who couldn't.

The only problem I have with that trade scenario is the big signing bonus the Chargers would pay up. They would already take a big cap hit by trading Rivers. I think it would be likely they'd try to acquire a 2nd or 3rd year player who's bonus they wouldn't be responsible for. That would be a wash for letting Rivers go and they could still get someone very good. Why not even a Roy Williams??
  9. SDITSURFER

SDITSURFER BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rivers Culpepper rumor...wow

This scenario does make sense. First of all, anyone that thinks the Chargers want to go in a different direction with QB needs to just put it behind them. Drew Brees is the Chargers QB of the present and future. With that said, Philip Rivers value is still high and a trade with Minnesota for a 1st round pick IF they trade Culpepper would be huge!!
    Good trades are about luck and timing.,..and it appears that Minnesota's season is probably over and this point and a good pick would be available at the top of the draft for the Chargers if the trade done. The Chargers need a real cover CB, stud safety or...another play maker at WR. If they can make this deal and get another impact player through the draft, the Chargers can set themselves to be good for a long time. The future looks great. Go Bolts!!
  10. daniel5678

daniel5678 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just look at teams that obviously need QBs:
    BUF, MIA, JETS, BAL, CLE, DET, ARI
    Buffalo has Clements and McGee. Both are solid.

The Chargers have so much room under the cap next year, they can easily afford to trade off Rivers. Assuming they signed Brees to a long-term deal, I wonder if they could fit most of his signing bonus into next year's cap, too. I wonder if there is a rule against that. That way, they would only be paying him base year salaries for the remainder of his contract, which would create extra cap room for future years. Almost sounds too good to be true!

Oh, and if we trade Rivers, I am in favor of getting a high-powered WR. Our offense might never be stopped.
  11. Raiderssuckass

Raiderssuckass BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    First of all, Brees is our QB end of discussion.

I do think that we'll keep Reche and Kassim at a discounted rate. Reche can be a good possession type of receiver. He just needs to protect the ball better.

I don't see Kassim getting picked up by another team so he'll resign here. Kassim is our best special teams player and he'll most likely have a career like Hank Bauer here in San Diego.
  12. Chargerpower

Chargerpower BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Only our seconday has holes and that can be fixed with a verteran CB. I like our safeties so we should leave them in tact.
  13. Chargerpower

Chargerpower BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Here is the way I see it.

Check my post in the NFL zone. Culpepper is out for the year and maybe longer and the Vikings will need a starting QB next year.