1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Rivers Passing

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ikeman83, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    So who had the better game in the last four days: Philip Rivers or Alex Smith?

Rivers threw two non-completions to Smith’s one, but his performance in the San Diego Chargers win over the Kansas City Chiefs may have been more impressive because he made a few tougher throws.

Rivers finished 18-for-20 (the two non-completons were an interception and a throwaway). He became the sixth quarterback in NFL history to complete at least 90 percent of his throws, on a day in which he made at least 20 pass attempts.

Smith didn’t make that list (the NFL’s official record requirement is 20 attempts), as he finished 18-for-19.

Highest Completion % in Game
    NFL History (min. 20 attempts)

2009 Kurt Warner 92.3 (24-26)
    1993 V. Testaverde 91.3 (21-23)
    1974 Ken Anderson 90.9 (20-22)
    1981 Lynn Dickey 90.5 (19-21)
    2012 Philip Rivers 90.0 (18-20)
    1991 Steve Young 90.0 (18-20)

This came one week after another game in which Rivers finished with 18 completions ... in 34 attempts in a loss to the Cleveland Browns.

Rivers was a perfect 8-for-8 for 135 yards and two touchdowns (to Antonio Gates and Malcolm Floyd) on throws that traveled at least 11 yards in the air.

Smith only had three pass attempts that traveled more than 11 yards in that Monday Night win over the Arizona Cardinals.

Prior to Thursday, quarterbacks had 208 instances in which they attempted at least six passes of at least 11 yards in the air. None of the quarterbacks completed 100 percent of those throws.

Rivers entered the day with a 58 percent completion rate on such passes, tied for eighth-best in the NFL, but was perfect in this contest.

Rivers was also a perfect 10-for-10 for 143 yards and a score in three-receiver sets. He entered the day with a 64 percent completion rate in those sets, but with more interceptions (5) than touchdowns (4).

Rivers also set a Chargers record for single-game completion rate, breaking the mark of 88 percent previously set by Drew Brees in 2004.

Rivers’ previous best was an 83 percent rate (19-for-23) against the Indianapolis Colts in 2010.

Elias Stat of the Game
    The Kansas City Chiefs have not yet led during a game through their first eight games of the season. The last NFL team to start a season with eight straight games in which they failed to lead during the contest was the 1929 Buffalo Bisons.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/55065/rivers-passes-have-near-perfect-flow

The Chiefs front 7 is so terrible that the only time they had real pressure on Rivers was when Norv called the dumbest play in the history of time at the goalline before the half. Please, let our new GM be competent enough to draft some line talent.
  2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,577 / 44 / -6
    For all the pretend QB gurus out there, Philips arm looked very strong and the ball had a bit of zip on it. I don't care about any other QB's in the league, they don't play for the Bolt's so fawk em and that goes double for Droop Brees.
  3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    The only bad pass he made all night was the pick, which was off of his back foot because the RB didn't get any kind of chip on the defender, and it was a horrible play call, anyway.
  4. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    Amazing what he can do when there is no one at his feet. He stepped into throws and made completions. Still needs to get his head around throwing the F-ing ball away, but I think this shows when given time and space, he can cut people up. No arm strength issues, and the happy feet were at a minimum.
  5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    It's so weird because immediately before the pick, he threw the ball away. I think he just trusted Rosario to make a play while chucking the ball off of his back foot and Barry made a play. It's the same thing we've seen the last two times the Pats were in the Superbowl, Brady is an amazing QB, but if he has no pocket to step up into he's very, very average. Rivers doesn't have any scrambling ability at all, so why on Earth Norv called a rollout on the goalline is beyond me. Run it or dial up a slant!
  6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    On NFLN Rivers said that Berry was looking at Rosario so he figured he could sneak it past him.
  7. VenomSyndrome

VenomSyndrome Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    On Rivers only interception of the game, in the the post game interview he said that E. Berry was not looking at the QB so he thought he could get it by him.
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    That's the thing about eyes...they move. Especially when you throw floaters off your back foot.
  9. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    Note to Philip, we are not in the "I can sneak it past him" part of the season. Covered receivers = throw the mother lovin ball away. Otherwise, stellar outing for our redneck.
  10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I also think that play for the INT was far more indicative of Rivers' stubbornness which has been the noticed effect on his decision-making. We saw it for ourselves when Phil gave his response to the article about Norv feeling the need to "simplify the offense". Rivers doesn't want that, he doesn't want to ease up on people.

I really wouldn't be surprised if the original play-call was a run and Rivers audibled to a play-action pass because he wanted to step on a team's throat. And unfortunately in those situations sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you. I'm not faulting him for the attitude by any means, I do fault him for letting it preoccupy him so much that he forces a bad throw (it was bad, Berry had already undercut Rosario's route and made it a low-percentage throw given the circumstance - i.e. that Rivers didn't have a ton of time left to throw because Battle missed his blocking assignment) instead of hanging it to the back corner and if Rosario gets it he gets it and if not then we kick for +3.