1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Rivers sees the improvement must begin with himself

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,695 / 45 / -26
    Philip Rivers sees bigger problem than play calling

The head coach says it starts with the coaching.

The starting quarterback says it starts with the quarterbacking.

There is plenty of fault to go around for the frequency at which the Chargers have turned the ball over this season. On Wednesday, in response to Norv Turner's comments a day earlier, Philip Rivers was the one who made the point to take responsibility.

Rivers addressed reporters after the team's first and only practice of the bye week. The break follows a Monday night game in which Rivers turned the ball over a career-high six times against the Broncos, including five times in the second half.

The Broncos won 35-24 after trailing 24-0 at halftime.

For the season, the Chargers' 14 turnovers are tied for fourth most in the NFL. They're on pace for 37 giveaways, which would be the franchise's most since 2000.

Turner vowed Tuesday to correct the issue, beginning with calling more low-risk plays, even if that means the Chargers don't have the same big-play offense they've had in years past.

Rivers said improvement begins with Rivers.

"Some of the play calls, and Norv is correct in saying that — I'd dare not contradict what he's saying," Rivers said. "Some of it is just me making better decisions. It's not a risky play call. It's a poor decision, a poor throw. Was the route combination risky on the interception for a touchdown at the end of the game? That's about the simplest thing you can call. But (Eddie Royal is) not open. Can't throw the ball.

"There are times where we can do that from a play-calling standpoint, but it really starts with me. I know how to do that, and it's unfortunate I didn't do that in the crucial moments of the game the other night."

Rivers has talked in the past about picking his spots with the football, well aware that not every play is going to carry that home run-type of result.
    If a pass isn't there, it isn't there. Don't force the issue. Take a sack, or throw the ball away.

On a third-quarter turnover that was as game-swinging as any Monday night, he said that was his mentality.

The play call on third-and-8 was fairly low risk. Rivers lined up in the shotgun with seven-man protection. Tight end Randy McMichael was in the backfield to his right with running back Ronnie Brown to his left.

While the pocket collapsed, Rivers said his thought process was fairly conservative. He intended to sail a pass to wide receiver Malcom Floyd out of bounds.

Instead, Broncos defensive end Elvis Dumervil jarred the football just before Rivers' arm motion began moving forward, and cornerback Tony Carter returned the fumble 65 yards to cut the Chargers' lead to 24-21.

"It's just a matter of stepping up a little more (in the pocket), getting the ball out a little sooner, taking a sack maybe, and then you live for another day," Rivers said. "I think it's just managing the situations, me, as opposed to high risk.

"Certainly, there are things that are greater risk than others. Ultimately, it's just a matter of doing a better job, fundamentally with the throws and in the pocket. I moved myself into trouble a couple times the other night. There were times I moved myself out of trouble and made big plays. The other cases, they were disastrous when they didn't need to be."

Safety Eric Weddle used a word when describing the defense's Monday struggles: correctable.

It's with that mindset Rivers entered the bye.

The Chargers won't practice again until Monday, getting four days away from the team complex as required by the NFL's collective bargaining agreement.

Ten games have yet to be played.

"I hate that it happened," Rivers said of the loss to Denver. "I hate that I let us down when we had a great opportunity to win a division game and put ourselves in great position. But when the game is over, and we stand here on a Wednesday, nothing can be changed in the past. How we got to 3-3 really doesn't matter. We're 3-3. What matters is we correct some of the things that got us here and we improve because everything is still out there for us.

"There's no lost confidence in what we can become or what we can do. There's nothing I can say right now that makes anyone feel better. We have to do it. But nothing's been lost as far as our opportunity and the goals we still have set. Now, it's a matter of bouncing back and getting that done."
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,687 / 39 / -8
    Weeeeeeel butter my butt and call me a biscuit... Why didnt I think of that...
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 2 / -0
    Marty Caswell got all snooty with me on Twitter last night for saying Rivers isn't mentally tough enough. She kept referencing 09 playing on a torn tendon and that half his O-line is new. That's all well and good, but ever Rivers confirms that i am right. If he is worried about protection, then he needs to play accordingly, not throw a stupid pass. He should be saying to himself: 'The left side might collapse, but I can't throw a pick.' and then he throws a pick. Even Steve Young says he is being lazy.

Rivers HAS been mentally tough. Rivers CAN be mentally tough. I HOPE he WILL BE mentally tough again. But right now, he isn't.
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Sometimes the truth hurts. Tell Marty to suck it up or send you a refund.
  5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    If I've said it once.................. don't tell me what you're gonna do, show me!!!!!!!!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    I at least give him credit; he doesn't throw his teammates under the bus a'la jay cutler. He says he has to improve and starts working on it.