1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Rivers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ikeman83, Oct 9, 2012.

1. PB Bolt

PB Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +135 / 3 / -0
    As if his performance on the field wasn't bad enough, when I came out of the Port-o-let after the game, Rivers was anally raping my girlfriend while pouring sugar in my gas tank.

I'm really starting to hate this guy.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings Received:
    +287 / 1 / -0
    At this point, forget it. This team has no heart and will lose an inexplicable game (or two or three) somewhere along the line.

I don't want to hear the "we're so close" crap again after another 8-8 year, which is exactly where we are headed if we are VERY lucky.

Blow it up and start over. It is time.
  3. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings Received:
    +287 / 1 / -0
    There is something to be said for multi-tasking, but really... :D
  4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 44 / -6
    I think it's time for River's to cool his behind on the pine to start the next game.
  5. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    Just tonight? What have you been watching every since the end of the '10 season?
  6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    The D has to improve. They're young, so they'll get better as the year goes on.
    The big problem is at OT. Harris and Clary aren't going to get it done. AJ may have ****** that one up good. Also Rivers simply has to stop throwing **** passes. Not sure how they're going to get that through to him though.
  7. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    They can't blow it up now--there are no FAs available. So they've gotta play out their schedule with what they have. I guarantee you they beat the Browns and Chiefs. They just can't beat good teams yet. They're obviously not going to put up big numbers on offense this year with Clary and Harris as tackles. But stop turning over the ball, and get improvement from a young D. They have a shot.

Not going to try to convince you though. If you have better things to do on Sundays, more power to you. Right now this team doesn't deserve a lot of time or money from its fans. But once they're 5-3, I imagine the fan attitude will be different.
  8. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 1 / -0
    They must surround Rivers with more talent...he makes lots of mistakes and that may be because it is all on his shoulders. We all know that he is not good under pressure; he sucks once he leaves the pocket. He must have receivers that run perfect routes or a freaking o-line he can count on. He is not one to make lemonade out of lemons.
  9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    They thought Royal and Meacham were talent, but they never got the memo that they have to protect the ball on tight throws.
    The OL mistake was massive error by AJ. Rivers did make lemonade out of WR lemons a couple years back, but the OL was better then.
  10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Three square pegs trying to be fit into round holes. Peg One: Rivers (without an OL the caliber of the 90's Cowboys, Norv's scheme is a god-awful fit for him). Peg Two: Our offensive (said with a much more elongated "o" sound as in "they are offensive") line - it is very possible to build a quality OL without using 1st round picks on any of them; doing it without coaches who can actually develop players and who allow lazy effort and shoddy mechanics is flat out impossible. Peg Three: Norv (you can lump AJ in here two, but they are literally setting up Rivers to fail; God I'm jumping on Matilack's train here but I'm honestly starting to believe it's true).
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    :D Listen, sooner or later wisdom will smack us all on the face with a big veiny dick.
  12. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +140 / 2 / -0
    Sickening to watch RG3, Andrew Luck, and even ****** Russell wilson come in and lead there teams to victories as rookies while Rivers hasnt led us to ****... our defense/special teams served him up 5 games on a silver platter and he managed to simply hold on to 3 of them while blowing 2 of them
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1

Dude,his decision making is turrible, he's not doing the little things right, and worst of all teams get into this dudes head and he completely self destructs. He's slowly started to decline since the start of last season. He has had maybe3-4 decent, to good complete games since '10
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    And he's had a competent OL for those 3-4 good complete games, the rest of them... no.

Am I completely excusing Rivers from any blame? Hell no. But much of the criticism you're heaping on him can be directly tied to being put in a position where the deck is stacked heavily against him (you see how your decision-making is affected when you know that you're going to have your drop-back and maybe one more second to read how the play is developing before having to make your decision and get the ball out because you'll have a lineman literally ON you - I'd bet it won't be a positive change you witness).

Rivers has never been the guy who can will his team down the field. When he was given adequate time he did show that he could accurately identify and hit the open receiver and make throws that would help get his receiver open if he was covered. Those guys actually aren't that common, despite the premature titles some may want to bestow on the likes of Luck and Griffin (Matt Ryan really only established THIS SEASON that he's that kind of guy). You can still win with that kind of guy as your QB (Matt Schaub ring any bells? Alex Smith? Christian Ponder?), but you have to gear everything you can to his strengths.

Most coaches when they're trying to swing some good mojo to inject hope into their teams will go for a daring play like onside kicking it to start the second half, a fake punt/FG, going for it one 4th and middle from just outside field goal range... I get the distinct feeling that Norv gets on the headset and just says, "let's just try and go deep on them here." Not, "Let's set them up so that we can get them to bite on play-action and give our guy a one-on-one shot at making a play," but just, "Screw it, let's go deep (even if they're going to have two or three guys back there against our 1)." The deep ball typically only works if you've got blown coverage or you get a guy in single-coverage, even guys like Stafford and Culpepper who had two of the most freakish deep-threats in the history of the game have shown us that just chucking it up to those guys in double or triple coverage has a pretty low-percentage result over any sort of decent sample size.
  16. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Reacting to these last two games with "Trade Rivers" and "Play Whitehurst" is the epitome of sky is falling crap.
  17. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    I could make the argument that Whitehurst wouldn't have committed 4 INTs and 2 fumbles though..... #imjustsaying
  18. bombsaway

bombsaway BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    See ya Bolts, you're my home team and I love you but you lost a fan tonight. I won't be watching the Chargers after their bye until some real changes are made.
  19. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Sure, but who has a better chance of beating the Chiefs and Browns. #perspective
  20. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 2 / -0
    For the first time, I can't answer that question with complete confidence.

Maybe putting the dunce cap on Phil for a couple of series would be good for him. Stop bringing your kids to your place of work and focus on our franchise.
  21. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    If our backup was halfway decent, that might work. But Whitehurst stinks.
  22. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Honestly, at this point I borderline hope that Rivers will suffer an injury that will keep him out for the rest of the season, allowing us to lose out and get a top draft pick. I know that's horrible to say, but would a broken collarbone on his non-throwing shoulder be so bad?
  23. RandyJR

RandyJR BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +6 / 3 / -0
    I got faith!! Seen it before and we will see it again but its still a long season. I cant give up on eem just yet...

;)
    • Agree Agree x 2
  24. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -1
    The most frustrating 2 things for me are this:

1. A lot of these mistakes seem to be quite unnecessary ones, forcing the ball into tight coverage, or just making the wrong decision.

2. Knowing that sometimes our O-line isn't good enough to stop the opposing pass rush, why aren't we adjusting the play-calling accordingly? We were up 24 last night, can anyone honestly say that we shouldn't have played safer and run the ball more, threw short routes to pick up chunks of yardage, instead of airing it out in the face of pressure and getting picked off? That's on Norv and Rivers, they have to find ways to get rid of the ball quicker when we're being pressured that don't involve just heaving it down the field.

He's had a bad season, and a terrible second half yesterday. BUT, that's done now, it can't be changed and we need to put it in the rearview.

We have a bye week where they will hopefully (but probably won't) reflect on their mistakes, and try to design plays where they can reduce bad decision making. We all know that Philip can be a very good QB in this league, him and Norv just need to find something that works better for them, because they seem to be taking way too many risky throws in my view.
  25. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +30 / 1 / -0
    Look....Rivers is the best QB we have and at times a good passer. But he has shown recently that he makes increasingly bad decisions. He also looks less mobile (is that possible) than he used to be and that really hurts in collapsing pockets. Manning had time last night becasue he evaded would be tacklers, Rivers looks like he goes down when he gets breathed on. Harris had a solid game, Clary not so much, but Rivers had enough time to look downfield and make some terrible throws. We should have been running the ball for field goals at that point anyways, but if a good QB pops up in the next draft or two I would take him. There is every chance he only has 2-3 years left due to his confidence eroding. Also, has his throwing motion changed? He's never had a pretty ball flight but I can't recall seeing such ducks out of a starting NFL QB in a long time.
  26. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    Unfortunately, right now, so does our starter. ;)
  27. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +47 / 1 / -0
  28. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    Notice how Floyd was open behind....... where's the recognition, Philip? :confused:
  29. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Going forward though he gives us better chances to win against Browns and Chiefs than Whitehurst.
  30. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    Keep telling yourself that. ;)