1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Running back backup: Plug 'n Play?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fossil, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    Last year we added a zone read element to our run blocking. For years (especially under Shanarat), the Broncs effectively ran a zone read offense with plug 'n play RBs.
    We have RM and Woodhead as very solid starters. In our current search for a backup RB, can we save cap space and draft slots by targeting plug 'n play players? What say thee?
  2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Of course we can.. And to following posters who say "we need a guy who can punch it into the end zone" just stop. We need better play calling and execution there.

We need a guy who, if Mathews goes down, can step up and not miss a beat. Especially need one after RM24 is a free agent next year, so we need an insurance policy. So I'd draft a guy in the mid rounds, 4th or 5th (deep RB class) and you can still get a quality player. Guy I like a lot is Terrance West.

Free agents that could be attractive to Telesco are Donald Brown, Toby Gerhart and James Starks. I don't think we have the cap room to sign a guy to 3-4 years long term and anything over $1.5-2 million a year.
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575 / 44 / -6
    Terrell Davis was a great back, there is no way he was just a plug and play dude.
  4. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    What would you guys think of Jonathan Dwyer? He's a bigger and more powerful back, good in short yardage situations, shouldn't command that much money.

I think a trio of him and the 2 guys we have would all provide a decent variety at a reasonable cost.
  5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    But what about Ruben Droughns, Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell, Selvin Young, and (as much as it pains me to lump him in this group) Peyton Hillis?
  6. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,575 / 44 / -6
    What about them, how many Super Bowls did they win with the lot of them combined?
  7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    Because Super Bowl rings is all you need to look at to tell the difference between a good running back and a bad one? (Or in the context of the conversation, a good running game and a bad one)

I hope Kevin Faulk is getting his ticket to Canton ready.
  8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    Or, I suppose I can put this another equally sarcastic way.

How many Super Bowl rings do LaDainian Tomlinson, Barry Sanders, and Eric Dickerson have? I don't think either of them are plug and play RBs either.
  9. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,575 / 44 / -6

For years (especially under Shanarat), the Broncs effectively ran a zone read offense with plug 'n play RBs

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this leads me to believe the Donks, Shanahan and Super Bowls were in reference on topic with plug & play. Damn, that's right, you know everything about anything even before it's written all the time, my mistake. Good Grief.
  10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I don't think "zone-read" means what you think it does. Zone-blocking is not zone-read. Zone-read is part of an option offense - something that, given the fact that Rivers runs like a drunken giraffe, we literally can't run.

What we implemented last year was power-zone blocking in terms of the run-blocking scheme used - similar to what college programs like Wisconsin and Alabama use. "Zone-read" is akin to what Oregon and Auburn run.
  11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,380 / 36 / -16
    Inconceivable!
  12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Though, as long as it wasn't in a situation where he could get injured (i.e. full play), I think I'd thoroughly enjoy watching Philip try and run the read-option at least a couple times. Waiting for him to get around the edge might take a half-decade, but once that drunken giraffe gets a-rumblin'...
  13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,380 / 36 / -16
    Seems slanderous to drunken giraffes…
    Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 11.57.16 PM.png
  14. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    Good catch on the typo LBC. Any thoughts on a back up for RM & Woodhead?