1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Ryan Mathews Interview, another take

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fossil, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +183 / 2 / -1
    Just to play the devil's advocate (not sticking up for his on-field performance, just this interview) I'll say RM did okay talking with the Double Coverage guys.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-playe...ouble-Coverage-Ryan-Mathews-joins-the-program

He mentioned complacency under Norv Turner several times. Pretty obvious he believes it to be true. In general, this mirrors one of my main beefs about Norv: his team lacked that fire in the belly, ready to stand toe-toe with anyone attitude that I think this sport needs.
    RM's "must be made of glass" comment was obviously a facetious swipe at naysayers. Got a few chuckles in the studio but RM needs to learn that facetious on the air doesn't translate well in print.
    Not fighting for extra yards when the situation doesn't dictate? That's called situational awareness or common sense. Third and two, end of the fourth quarter, game in hand, trying to run out the clock, RM just passed the first down marker. Do you really want him to lower his shoulders and try to bull over a linebacker?
    I'd say RM's on air comments themselves were okay, but seem reprehensible when taken out of context framed in a way to make him look bad as possible.
    Last thought: I thought he looked in good shape.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Can't wait until we draft a real RB. :tdown:
  3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I really just wonder how his team tames will take him saying things like "We were complacent" and "We thought were owed to win games". I have a hard time believeing that guys like Gates, Spikes, Hardwick, Jammer, and Rivers were complacent and felt they were owed wins. There may have been guys who did, I struggle to believe that it was a blanket feeling in the locker room, and to say "We" implicates everyone
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    I see your point, and it is a good one. However, he is in the locker room. His locker is 3 down from Gates', and 4 from Rivers. Fans here were saying the same thing over and over. It might not be that far from the truth. Rivers had the pressure due to the bad OL in his head. IF he felt he didn't have the line to win with, might he have voiced similar or complimentary frustrations in the locker room?

And i agree with CD. Time to draft a new RB. Even bringing Woodhead in hasn't seemed to light a fire in Ryan's belly...
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    First thought: He didn't look in shape, looked fat in the face. But this isn't anything new.

Second thought: He never was good in interviews and isn't the brightest bulb in the room, next time a network like NFL or ESPN ask for an interview, it would be best for RM to respectfully decline.

The third thought: When he said they were complacent, I'm sure he was speaking for many members in the locker room without their consent, But I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it. Going to my second thought of him not being very bright. I'm actually glad he said it, gives us a little taste of inside the locker room, because it was true. For many years it seemed like the Chargers were going into games with a "yeah let's win" mentality but the second something didn't go their way, they held their heads down instead of fighting to win or what we fans would like to call "The 2 minute warning" where everything would go to @#$% and the team got into a panic. I have said many, many, times arguing to the apologist before about Ol' Turkey neck, The second a team reveals hows predictable Norv's play calling was, he'd lower his head and admit defeat. We have to remember, these players are still young kids, some of them are babies still, when their leader admits defeat don't you think it will rub off to them as well.

Fourth thought: Again RM isn't too intelligent, I'm sure when he said he isn't going to try to fight for those extra yards, take on big hits, he was just reciting what Norv has probably indented into his brain, Or maybe this is McCoy speaking suggesting, "live to fight another day". We have to think of how many times LT opted to stiff arm and get out of bounds after getting that first down, instead of getting knocked down. Main reason why he had such a long career. RM always opted to fight for that extra yard, take that big hit, which is when he'd lose the football. I don't think we should or even have to draft a RB this year, Broken record? yeah! but Mathews also said he doesn't feel he has played good football at all, he wants to show everyone why we moved up to get him, Give him a chance. Mathews was always better at running on the outside anyways instead of charging up the middle, let's see what happens. If it doesn't work out we still have a little shifty, explosive guy in Woodhead, and a veteran in Brown to handle the work load.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    To add to my point you hear the excitement from the players when they talk about their new coach which tells me Yes! even Weddle, Rivers, Gates etc. were sort of complacent under Turner.

If Belicheck were ever fired, I'd imagine there would be a riot and an uproar, with the players leading it all.
    Urlacher, Hester among others in Chicago, were very upset about Lovie getting fired. You didn't hear Rivers, or any other player say they don't want to play for another coach.

We heard what we thought we would, every player saying the same thing in the same tone "Its a shame" in their own words. But everyone in San Diego knew Winter is coming! (getting ready for GOT's:D)

This as well as many other post game interviews tells me RM was right, They thought they were owed the win, and it is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    This team suffers from an IDENTITY crisis, Who the hell are the Chargers??????
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,108 / 34 / -21
    WINTERFELL!!!!

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Sad to see The Walking Dead end but Game of Thrones starts tonight!!!!:abq1:
  10. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,704 / 45 / -26
    Only, that was a Boromir reference, not Ned Stark. ;)
  11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Only Sean Bean plays Ned Stark and Winterfell is a Game of Thrones reference;)
  12. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    There is a difference? Both died via violence and blades... Mordor, kings landing... same-o same-o. I think you are judging Andels and Hobbits my friend...
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,704 / 45 / -26
    Hey, don't blame me, if Mattty can't keep his references straight. ;)
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,704 / 45 / -26
    Same actor, yes.

As works of literature?...... there's a big difference.
  15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    Even granting I believe that Mathews' injuries were bad luck AND that Turner completely mismanaged Mathews when he was healthy, Mathews looks like a damn fool in this interview. Commenting on not fighting for extra yardage or avoiding hits, even if logical, really looks bad while trying to make an impression as does the comment he was complacent. Unlike Weddle and Rivers, Mathews doesn't exactly have the kind of work history and ethic to say these sorts of things without there being a backlash.

Really don't like how he turned out in this interview
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,108 / 34 / -21
    Who gives a ****? I've read all the books in both series, and the real important question on everyone's mind is....who would win in a fight?

Ned Stark vs Boromir?
    Magneto vs Gandolf?
    Samwise vs Rudy Ruettiger?

These are the kind of hard hitting questions we need to be discussing on this forum, not "did so and so commit blasphemy when he mixed LOTR and GOT references?":p
  17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,108 / 34 / -21
    Norv Turner and team complacency have always been synonymous in my mind, you don't need to be a 10 year vet to recognize poor leadership. And to that point, I believe LT once said the same thing in so many words. Hopefully Mike McCoy will be a guy players want to fight for extra yardage for.
  18. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +183 / 2 / -1
    I get what you're saying but still rate the interview as okay. Not great, not good, not average, but okay. I've seen worse.
    His extra yardage comment IMHO was foolish. Perfect fodder for a pair of drive-by, drive-time motormouths on a.m. radio.
  19. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 8 / -3
    Meh .... plenty of athletes aren't rocket scientists nor should they be expected to interview well. I care far more about his ability to stay on the field & be productive than if he sounds, looks, or dresses like a damn fool. If his team mates think he was out of line, I feel fairly certain someone there will let him know it.

If you're looking for Mathews to be the face of this team, I think you're going to remain rather disappointed. I just want him to his ******* job well - like the 1st round pick that we traded UP to get. :rolleyes:
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    I'd rather Rygina have a breakout year than just turn out to be an also ran. How he speaks and acts in public is on his momma and ain't no sweat off my back.
  21. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +183 / 2 / -1
    ^^^ Sort of a "STFU and run the ball?"
  22. powayslugger

powayslugger Optimistic for 2013

Ratings Received:
    +134 / 3 / -0
    the more I know, hear and see of Ryan Mathews, the more I want him the hell out of San Diego. Let's get a REAL running back... one without glass collarbones, soft work ethic and hands of stone. Seriously- could you look any dorkier with a stupid purple bow tie to go with an out of shape and bloated face?

Is this guy serious about football????
  23. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Via Gehlken's Twitter:

Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    1h

Chargers disagree with Ryan Mathews that team was complacent in 2012. Donald Butler: "Just speak for yourself"
  24. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    RM24 is the best RB ever! He has more talent than Tomlinson. All he needs is our support and an OL!
  25. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Butler mentions he wants to step into that "leardership" role.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    Did I mention it is April Fools Day?
  27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
  28. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    Rygina like Tomlinson, must be working on letting his mouth buy him a ticket out of town.
  29. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +407 / 7 / -1
    I thought his use of the word 'complacent' was very apt. That would perfectly describe his attitude and performances thus far in his career. He's already showed up at 1 training camp out of shape, gets hurt seemingly every other week and has definitely not lived up to his billing as the #12 pick in 2010. I truly hope he gets his act together and proves us all wrong but I fear this might turn out to be yet another AJ draft blunder.
  30. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +447 / 2 / -1
    Run the ball, stop getting hurt, block for your QB, catch the ball when its thrown at you, support your teammates, and shut the **** up!
    • Winner Winner x 1