1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Ryan Mathews not viewed as Chargers' three-down RB

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jun 28, 2013.

1. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 44 / -6
    I'm sure if Rivers doesn't perform this year he'll be gone and the Bolts will move in a different direction. Not pinning anything on anyone, it was a team effort and McCoy doesn't seem like the kind of guy to play favorites. Rivers has his faults no doubt, but one doesn't just forget how to play the game. I don't know what the problem is with Rivers but I'm hoping it gets corrected, if not C-Ya.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    I agree with earlier statement that he really hasn't proven he's a single down back but yeah the team did sign Woodhead for a good reason. In addition three down backs are not very common anymore and are limited to the very best backs out there (LT in his prime, Peterson, CJ, MJD). It's part of the whole two back trend, now people are going to having/needing three backs with three distinct specialties because it's hard to find one back who can do it all and do it all for an extended period.
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Um I'd say they're both comparable when it comes to catching the ball.

Yards after catch (YAC) is where Woodhead excels. He's a shifty, little back and makes people miss. Mathews is a bigger back compared to Woodhead, and isn't as fast or shifty.
  4. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    I would make a joke about RM having a knock-out stiff arm, but seeing as how that entire story was debunked, I'll keep it to myself for the time being.

All humor aside, I think Mathews can have a decent year if he stays healthy and tones down that fumblitis of his. Not saying he'll be a Pro Bowler, but 900+ yards wouldn't be too much of a stretch, especially with Fluker and Clary mauling dudes down the right side.

(Just don't ask any of those guys to pass block.)
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    900 would be very disappointing, especially if he plays 12+ games. JMO.
  6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 44 / -6
    I'm hoping Ry shows up with a vengeance this year for the good of the team. He's got the tools to be great and I don't even mind a few fumbles, good teams overcome bad situations which is something the Bolts have lacked for years. It seems like every new season that old Billy Goat rises up and rears it's ugly head only to derail the team from some obscure new way.
  7. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +81 / 0 / -0

Hence the "+" sign!