1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Sammy Davis

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Jrocthadino, Nov 13, 2005.

?

Who is the best corner on the Bolts?

1. Jammer

100.0%
  2. Florence

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Davis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Fletcher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jrocthadino

Jrocthadino BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    First of all I would like to call out Sammy Davis. Why is he starting? Jamar Fletcher should have the job even if Florence is starting. So what I'm saying is our corners are aweful. Did you see Lavernious Coles (I think) caught that touchdown off Davis's head, then Flectcher comes into the game and doesn't do any better - he committed pass interferience in the end zone (no call)... Inexcuseable!.., the only reason why it wasn't called was becasue the ref's were making a make-up no-call after the personal foul on Donnie. And if you ask me, we're ripping jammer too much. I'd like to see Davis play opposite some of the NFL top wideouts.

So what it comes down to is how to get a good corner, so Jammer can play on a second reciever, fletcher can be a nickel back, and we can cut Davis, and Hallen too while were at it. But how, chances of us getting a 'shutdown' corner in the draft is far fetched, and we need to seal our secondary in the next years. Do we trade Brees/Rivers for our own Champ Bailey? I think something has to be done. What is going to happen this off-season if Brees finishes this year like last?

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to the site Jrocthadino. I honestly think that Florence is our best cover corner and that Davis is our worst. Jammer is OK at best and is best suited to play SS. Fletcher is our 2nd best cover corner and has the only INT at CB this year for the Bolts.

I agree with you that we will have to aquire a CB through trade or free agency, but we don't know who will be available or on the trading block. But the great thing about this team is that we have addressed all our holes except the CB position. So AJ will focus primarily on our secondary this off-season. As far as QB is concerned, if Brees continues to play this way, he will be signed long term and Rivers will be dealt.

3. Chargerpower

Chargerpower BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Jammer and Davis are pretty much the same on pass coverage. They couldn't cover my grand ma. I have to say that both Florence and Fletcher are a notch above them.

I would like to see AJ trade both Jammer and Davis and get whatever he can for them. Then sign an he best free agent CB and draft the best available CB.

4. LT teh ghost

LT teh ghost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    I can't believe Fletcher is on the list

5. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -0
    He's not that bad LT. He seems to always be around the ball and has the only INT for all CB's on the team this year.

6. LT teh ghost

LT teh ghost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0

Sorry but i guess its the burn marks on our field that was left by him clouds my judgement

7. Jrocthadino

Jrocthadino BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Rivers

ChargerRay, I cant believe that you feel we will deal rivers... after the signing bonus we gave him. Eventhough I agree with you.

Even if Rivers is potentially a better quarterback (physically), he lacks all the intangibles that Brees gives you, such as experience and all that includes.

Rivers will probably give you more value than Brees as well. But what CB do we have an opportunity to get?

...FLETCHER DID GET BURNED IN THE ENDZONE AGAINST THE JETS, HE'S STILL IS SECOND BEST TO JAMMER, I just had to vote for Fletcher, just in case Marty's reading!

8. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -0
    I reaally hate to let Rivers go before we can see what he can do. I know that he'll be a good one in this league. But we as a team are on the brink of breaking through and being a perrinnial Super Bowl contender. If we let Brees go, we would have to go through another growing phase with Rivers at the helm. Similar to what Carson Palmer went through last year. The Bolt's would indeed have more cap space if we keep Rivers, but Brees has shown the ability to lead this team now and for years to come.

With a new stadium deal in the balance, we need to have continued success and keep our core players intact, one of them being Brees. Now, if Brees tanks this last 7 games, then I can definitely see us parting ways with him.

On the CB problem, there will be salary casualties next years and perhaps one them will be an above average conver corner.