1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

San Diego is on Fire, Again.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Daddy_O, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +300 / 0 / -0
    Too smokey to go outside. Makes the eyes burn.

C'mon CDF, get this thing under control. I don't want to play in Arizona, again.

Poway schools are closed tomorrow. Fire is supposed to be at the back side of Poway near Tooth Rock by 5:00am.

Anyone got any marshmallows?
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    All of Ramona ordered evacuated

BREAKING NEWS: MANDATORY EVACUATION FOR ALL RESIDENTS OF RAMONA. Sheriff is notifying more than 10,000 households using the Reverse 911 system

All Ramona ordered evacuated

Wildfire chars more than 8,000 acres in North County

By Karen Kucher
    UNION-TRIBUNE BREAKING NEWS TEAM

7:00 p.m. October 21, 2007

RAMONA – An out-of-control wildfire burned more than 8,000 acres between Ramona and Santa Ysabel Sunday, and fire officials were requesting more resources to battle it.

Two air tankers and 60 engines with 350 firefighters were battling the blaze, which has been named the Witch Fire, said Cal Fire spokeswoman Audrey Hagen. It earlier was called the Highway 78 Fire.

State fire officials have requested 1,000 more firefighters be assigned to the blaze.

No homes have been destroyed and no one has been killed or injured, Cal Fire officials said.

Cal Fire Capt. Randy Scales said officials are investigating whether downed power lines sparked the blaze. The fire appeared to be headed south of Ramona, Scales said. Winds had died down some, but they were still averaging 20 mph to 30 mph.

Reports from Riverside and Los Angeles indicated winds were picking up, however, Scales said.

“We're expecting it to get stronger tonight,” Scales said.

If winds increase later Sunday, several communities were on alert, Scales said, and the Witch fire has become the region's primary concern.

“This is almost a deja vu of the Cedar Fire,” Scales said, referring to the weather conditions. The Cedar Fire killed 15 people, destroyed more than 2,200 homes and burned more than 280,000 acres in October 2003.

Many residents who live near Witch Creek and San Diego Country Estates have been evacuated, and residents are being told to go to a Red Cross shelter at Poway High School on Espola Road at Titan Way, county emergency officials said.

Firefighters have not tackled the fire from the air because visibility was too poor and winds were too strong, with gusts up to 60 mph at times. Cal Fire is reassessing the situation now.

Earlier in the afternoon, Cal Fire Battalion Chief Kelly Zombro notified Ramona, Escondido, Poway and San Diego that the fire was headed their way.

“It's just like the Cedar fire. It was just like the Cedar fire right off the bat,” Zombro said.

The Sheriff's Department made reverse-911 calls to more than 5,400 homes in the San Diego Country Estates area, notifying residents that a fire was burning in their direction and advising them to be prepared to evacuate if Also earlier, sheriff's Lt. Phil Brust said the Witch fire was moving in a north/northwest direction, heading toward the Lake Sutherland area, and that winds were very strong.

Zombro said the fire was burning in a swath of land untouched by the Cedar and Paradise fires of 2003. It is north of where the Cedar burned and south of where Paradise burned, and it was headed toward Ramona.

Residents as far away as Rancho Peñasquitos and Carmel Valley reported that the air was thick with smoke and ash was raining down.

County officials are posting fire updates at sdcountyemergency.com.

Residents were being asked to call 211 for all nonemergency calls related to this fire. If the call is initiated from a cell phone, 211 can be reached at (858) 300-1211.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Daddy_O

Ratings Received:
    +300 / 0 / -0
    Yup. Poway is the next stop. She'll be here by daybreak.

My parents live in Jamul. The were advised at 4:30 this morning to get out due to the Harris fire. They loaded up the RV and split.

We have the Witch Creek fire headed straight for us.
  4. Daddy_O

Ratings Received:
    +300 / 0 / -0
    Shoot. Just lost my '54 GMC parked at my Dad's. Saw the news clip and there she was, burning away........:tdown:
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    I was driving up to visit a friend in OC and back, smoke everywhere in both OC and in North/Central SD. Del Mar and Oceanside were covered in smoke and it appears its made its way down here into University City. Hope this gets better soon.
    Very sorry about your car but hopefully your family's safe
  6. Daddy_O

Ratings Received:
    +300 / 0 / -0
    Family is all good. Thank you.

This is a bad one. Might take the family outta here due to the air quality.

I'd have to go to Orange County to get away.
  7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,531 / 7 / -2
    Goddamn thing is heading straight for my house. Luckily, the fires have got to deal with getting around Otay Lake before we go up in flames. I hope everyone is safe and sound. Please everyone in SDC use this thread to check in.

So, does Arizona have a home game this week or are we gonna get to play there again? :(

[​IMG]
  8. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    I hope everyone is well and not threatened by these fires. Hopefully, they'll get everything under control soon.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    SoCal Fires

If you're in the area get the F out...

I have fires just south in Rainbow from what I hear, but I have LA News which is all over the Castiac and Malibu fire...Temecula/San Diego get zero love...Sign on San Diego is understandably slow...

I hear 15 N/S are closed from 78-56....

Any other news?
  10. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    SoCal Fires

Orange County fire is less than four miles from my house. Had bags packed waiting for the evacuation notice all night. Fortunately, the winds are blowing south west which is away from my development, so we might just catch a break this time.
  11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    SoCal Fires

Thoughts and prayers to all

:icon_sad:
  12. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    SoCal Fires

Qualcom Stadium is opening up as an Evacuation center.

Just like the Cedar Fire.

Phoenix has a Bye this week.

Anybody think the game will be moved?
  13. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    SoCal Fires

X2
    hope everything works out for all those in the fire area
  14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    SoCal Fires

things won't get better weather wise for two days or so, unfortunately I do think the game will be moved at this rate, but its still early
  15. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    SoCal Fires

I hope that everyone and their families are ok. And yes, because of the air quality, I do think there is a possibility that the game will be moved.
  16. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    SoCal Fires

Weather wise, we are not supposed to get any relief till Thursady.

The Mayor has ordered a massive evacuation. Thoughts and parayers go out to each and everyone

REXY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay safe!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its coming your way!

Obviously the game is 11th on a 10 scale!

Jasmine, I hope you made it.

To anyone esle affected, please stay afe, do not do anything stupid.You are all family, and we need each and everyone of back.

If anyone needs help getting out of the way, send me a PM, I have a Toyota Tundra Truck, I will try and help.
  17. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    SoCal Fires

DItto with my SUV if needed
    Hey Ray, everyone safe with you?
  18. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0
    SoCal Fires

My heart goes out to everyone involved... From the people who are being evacauated, facing the possibility of losing their homes to the firefighters who are fighting to contain and put out these fires.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    SoCal Fires

So far we are ok in Chula Vista. Hopefully the fires won't make its way over here.
  20. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    SoCal Fires

My parents evacuated their home. It is likely to be destroyed. They're stuck on the 15 north trying to get to their shop. It is ****ing hopeless. I might drive down tonight and help them out if there's anything left to do.
  21. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings Received:
    +1,009 / 1 / -0
    SoCal Fires

Crazy and scary. I hope everybody and their loved ones are safe out there.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. LTisCool

LTisCool BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    SoCal Fires

I hope all you guys stay safe. If you guys have any news or know of any places that are being evacuated and whatnot, keep us posted please.

My parents in North County San Diego have to evacuate. Any news from anyone north of the 56 (or anyone really) would be much appreciated.

Further North in Irvine some arsons started some fires last night, but the firefighters are doing a good job containing it - no mandatory evacuations yet. I'm debating whether or not to go to class - the sky is a redish grey and I don't want to have to inhale that crap.

Stay safe guys.
  23. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +713 / 0 / -0
    SoCal Fires

Best wishes to all affected by this.
    I nearly couldn't get tp work this morning in Santa Margarita as my first two routes were closed due to the fire. I'm thinking now I should have turned around and went home to call in sick.

I hope the game isn't moved since it's the only one I'm making this year, but there are alot more importatnt things than football.

Take care all and stay safe!
    • Like Like x 1
  24. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    SoCal Fires

The freeway is closed. My sis in PQ/ Carmel Mtn is evacuated. All family in Poway/ RB was told to get out, and my parents in Esco (west of 15) by El Norte are still "ok," but I can't see that lasting much longer.
  25. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    Just heard from Rexy - she's going to head out of Del Mar, too much smoke but no fire.

Trumpie's safe, no problem in Lake Elsinore
  26. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0
    Jasmine from the UT and BP as well as Chispa's sister were evacuated yesterday. My SD family has not been evacuated as yet.
  27. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    My sister and nephew in Alpine are evac'd.

Y'all please be careful out there.
  28. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Damn, sorry'bout that, Bro.
  29. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Parts of Orange County are burning :icon_eek: :icon_sad: