1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

San Diego is on Fire, Again.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Daddy_O, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 0 / -0
    Hi Toby :wave:

• Like Like x 1
  2. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    It does have it good points, the Military just has to learn to spend their bucks more wisely. and Brac did that. The downfall was some bases were closed, but the people moved to another base.
    Where I work, every time there was a Brac, we survived, and at one point, we were on the hit list. But it was cheaper to close Alameda NAS, then close North Island. And one of the strong points was wages. To close North Island, and everyone move north, we would of gotten about a $2.00 an hour pay raise. So it was chesper to move them down here, then us go north. Also it didnt help that the Navy basically pulled out of San Francisco. China Lake has grown ten fold because Pt. Mugu has scaled back.

In one of the first Brac moves ever, the U-2's used to fly out of Davis Monthan AFB in Arizona. The Air Force moved that entire Squadron up to Beale AFB, that because the SR71 Program was alive and well, and both programs used the same Physilogical support and Photo Processing requirements.

3. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6

But how would you allocate how much everyone pitches in? The Insurance Company would rather just raise your rates if your house continues to burn up. Then you get into why do some homes continue to burn up, and others don’t. If you are going to build in a high fire danger zone, I would tell the home owners, they need to find a way to install some sort of fire protection system. They interviewed one gentleman, and he his house made it through the Cedar Fire, and the Witch Creek fire. Both his neighbors didn’t, in both fires. When he built his house, into the roof he built a sprinkler system and he maintained that "Defensible area" zone.

4. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6

I need help that’s an understatement.

My Mother came down last week, my oldest who is home from Army Basic Training and AIT Training, is on his way to FT, Campbell, and might be headed to Afghanistan in January. I received an Overtime request late on Monday, I called my wife to let her know, and she informed me Alpine was burning. So instead of working overtime I rushed home to pack my Truck and car and wait. As I headed down I-8 into El Cajon, all I saw was a giant black plume of smoke just over the hill from my place, the wind was blowing right to my place. Well it turned south and burned Harbison Canyon and Crest. My Mother, who was only supposed to be down here for a few days, and only brought enough medicine for that, Well she has a pace maker, and with her other ailments has to take 10 different pills a day. She can’t get home, the Freeways are closed.

While she was down here, her best friend, who just lost her left Breast to Cancer last Wednesday, finds out here niece just lost her 5 Million Dollar house in Rancho Bernardo.
    My work is screaming for me to get back, and I have to sit here waiting. if you click here, http://sdcountyemergency.com/newsreleases/10252007_0230hrs_Evac_FirePerem_low72.pdf
    I live in Grid Block 1232, I have the Harris and the Witch Creek bearing down on me.

I need some help, I would love to go, and it would get me out of here for an hour.

Now yesterday, my Mother leaving here at 7:00 in the morning, with no medication drove 4 hours up to Ridgecrest and made it. That’s one worry gone, how many others do I have to deal with?

• Like Like x 1
  5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Smart sumb1tch!! :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Hey Johnny :wave:

• Like Like x 1
  7. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    The worst kind of news, dated October 25, 2007:<HR noShade SIZE=1> 2 MORE PEOPLE KILLED IN WILDFIRES
    8:20 a.m. - San Diego County authorities have discovered the bodies of two more people believed to have been killed in the wildfires that scorched Southern California this week. Sheriff Bill Kolender says recovery crews found the burned bodies in a gutted home near Poway. He says he has no other details, and says medical examiners are trying to establish their identities. The discovery brings to eight the total number of deaths.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +989 / 2 / -2
    There is another report that 4 badly burned bodies were found in a canyon out near Potrero. Believe we will get many more of these kinds of reports as this next week passes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Hey CD. Unfortunately, I am quite sure you are right. :tdown:

10. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    hang in there. All you can do is your best. Things usually finally work themselves out. Though it never seems easy getting to that point.

11. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    The fires could have been limited much sooner. Red tape phucqed San Diego. :tdown:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21478621/

Click on link for complete article.

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +611 / 0 / -0
    :icon_eek: :fan: Peeps that lost homes are going to be absolutely pissed off.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    As well they should be [​IMG]

14. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21490838/

15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  16. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    Insurance stuff...

Not sure if this will help anyone on the board, but figured I'd post it in case anyone in the affected area is concerned:

Insurers Rebut Claims Policies will be Cancelled due to Wildfires:
    Insurance industry associations in California are hoping to quell concerns stirred up they say by the media and politicians that indicate homeowners' policies would be cancelled because of the wildfires.

The Association of California Insurance Companies, Personal Insurance Federation of California and American Insurance Association emphasized that a law is in place to address the issues of cancellation and nonrenewal. They cite a statute (AB 2962-Pavley:Chapter 357 of the 2004 Statutes) that prohibits an insurer from cancelling a policy because of a claim prior to reconstruction, and requires the insurer to offer to renew the policy immediately following a disaster.

In addition, the insurers maintain there is no history of widespread non-renewals, as evidenced by data produced by the Insurance Information Network of California, the associations said.

The associations are encouraging victims to contact their agents or representatives as soon as they have the opportunity to do so. If they don't have information on their individual agent, they should contact their company claims lines.

Here's the link which contains contact info for Fire Victims:
    http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/west/2007/10/26/84569.htm

• Like Like x 1
  17. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Insurance stuff...

Talk about a backlash :icon_eek: :yes:

18. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    VFV22 is back in his home in Ramona. No damage.

Now I have the Santiago fire nipping at our backdoor..... :tdown:

19. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714 / 0 / -0
    Great news about VFV22!

Sorry to hear the Santiago fire is nearing your back door. the frontside of it has been making life interesting at work in RSM all week. I'll hope for the best for you man.

20. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714 / 0 / -0
    Insurance stuff...

Thanks! I was a life guard when I was younger. And I got the tattoo at avalon back when I lived in SD. :tup:

:icon_rofl:

21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    The east side of the Santiago fire is out of control from my read and pushing toward Lake Elsinore and Corona.

The Martin Mars, a huge water tanker, flew down from Canada and has been stationed out of Lake Elsinore. The thing flies and scoops water out of the lake without stopping. The SOB is huge, slow, loud and lumbering and it drops a shitload of water (7,000 gallons) over 3 acres at a time.

The residents of the town have been watching this beast for the last few days doing its thing dipping into the lake. It is nice to know that plane is right here next to my house.

22. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,303 / 12 / -5
    Christ, I didn't realize that one pushed out that far East. :icon_eek:

My brother lives in Wildomar. He was calling me after my family & I took off Monday. Hope that mamoth plane kills those flames PDQ.

23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Great news about vfv22!! :tup:

Keep that Santiago Fire at bay!! :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  24. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054 / 0 / -0
    That fire is a raging beast. When I came out of my moonlighting job at a hospital last night I immediately was assaulted with smoke and that fresh burning smell. I was driving parallel to the 91 towards my entrance and there were about ten fire trucks on the east bound side. I didn't know what was happening but figured the Santiago fire had jumped county lines. Massive gray haze and acrid smoke all the way past Tom's Farm and to the LE Outlet. The smoke was so thick I could barely see. It stung my lungs. I hope they catch the bast*ard who started that fire...I have been to that area many times. Not only homes destroyed but so much wildlife.

I am happy you are home and safe vfv22.

That's great news leisure. I think we are all so tired of fire. School is cancelled so we have been taking care of each other's kids on our days off so we know they are safe and we can all go to work.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/335332.html

Posted on Fri, Oct. 26, 2007

Chiefs coach Charlie Joiner loses his home in California wildfires

The Kansas City Star

Charlie Joiner, the Hall of Fame wide receiver who now coaches for the Chiefs, lost his home in the San Diego area to fire.

Joiner, who played 11 seasons for the Chargers, and his wife, Dianne, kept a home in the Rancho Bernardo area of San Diego. Rancho Bernardo was one of the areas hardest hit by the recent fires.

“My wife and family are OK,” he said. “They were evacuated in plenty of time. But the house is destroyed.”

Linebacker Donnie Edwards also has a home in the San Diego area. He said his house avoided damage, but the fire burned several houses in his neighborhood.

“It smells like smoke everywhere,” he said.

26. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    I took this from the UT Site...........

Mike Florio the guy behind profootballtalk.com, says in a video posted to his site that if fire is going to distrupt an NFL game in San Diego every four years or so the Chargers should just move to LA permanently. Has to be one of the most unintelligent "suggestions" ever in the history of football punditocracy.

I left him a comment

27. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/10/27/sports/professional/chargers/0_57_0110_27_07.txt

This show had to go on

By: LOREN NELSON - Staff Writer

TEMPE, Ariz. -- The games eventually go on. Regardless of wars or hurricanes or hijacked airliners slamming into Manhattan skyscrapers.

Wildfires, no matter how devastating, weren't going to keep the Chargers from playing the Houston Texans.

We knew that all along.

The when and where finally was announced Friday morning: 1:05 p.m. on Sunday at Qualcomm Stadium.

In an odd bit of political maneuvering, neither the city of San Diego nor the Chargers wanted their handwriting on the final sign-off to play the game as originally scheduled.

The goofy thing is, both sides appeared intent on distancing themselves from what was clearly the right call.

This game belongs in San Diego. The public relations nightmare everyone seemed so intent on avoiding would have been to play it in Houston or Dallas, as was suggested earlier in the week.

A region that has been rocked by wildfires is ready for a diversion. Has San Diego ever been more ready for some football?

"Psychologically, you can't always have your mind on the bad things," Chargers rookie wide receiver Craig Davis said. "You are going to get depressed."

Davis knows a bit about bad things. He was playing at LSU when Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans, and he was among the volunteers unloading trucks and collecting donations after the disaster. He also was on the field to play Tennessee in Louisiana's first major sporting event after what was one of the worst catastrophes in the nation's history.

"It was really emotional, especially for some of the guys who were from the New Orleans area, which was about half the team," Davis said. "We had the whole state of Louisiana rallying around us. It was something to get their mind off the hurricane.

"I think this is the same thing. We can help the people of Southern California."

The Chargers were busy Friday planning special ceremonies to pay tribute to firefighters and safety officers

"We want to do something special but tasteful," said Chargers chief operating officer Jim Steeg, who was evacuated from his Carmel Valley home and, over the last week, has developed an appreciation for a job that often goes unnoticed.

"I've marveled at what these guys have done," Steeg said. "It's obvious they have training beyond anything I can imagine."

Sunday will be a day for football and fun, and a bit of reflection. A moment or two of silence to appreciate triumphs such as this one, as described in e-mails to friends and family by Marc Figueroa, our golf writer who lives in Rancho Bernardo with his wife, Gloria:

"When we walked into the backyard, we noticed that our side gate had been ripped off its hinges and tossed into the driveway, there also was plenty of mud on the ground and our backyard furniture had been tossed about, sure signs that firemen were there to fight the fire in back of us.

"We can't express how grateful we are to these brave men and women who risk their lives to save the lives and livelihood of others. They saved ours.

"Miracle men indeed."

Marc later discovered a name to go with that miracle:

"On Thursday afternoon we ran into our next-door neighbor who had partial burning in the back of his house and he showed me a scratch piece of paper the firemen left in his bedroom while fighting the fire. It read: *******House Saved by E37, SDFD. *******Signed, *******Captain Hayes"

Nothing the Chargers or Texans do on Sunday, no block or tackle or catch or touchdown run, can compare to the countless untelevised heroics such as those performed by "E37, SDFD."

"There are so much more important things out there than what we do, really," Chargers center Nick Hardwick said. "People, I guess, look to football for a little escape."

They'll get that diversion on Sunday. And that's a good thing.

Thanks to the thousands such as "Captain Hayes," reality isn't all bad, either.

28. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Too bad about Charlie Joiner :icon_sad:

29. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    The US Ronald Reagan wanted an F/A 18 to use as Practice Towing Tool. When they are out under way, they wanted something that they could use to practice, and help train the new Aircraft spotters.

What they got was an old F18, all the good stuff was taken so the Sailors couldn’t rob it while under way. It has all the dimensions and weight of an F/A 18, but there is nothing they can hurt on this thing.

I was in charge of the crew that made this Tow Aircraft.

They use it all the time. They tow it all over, spot it, chain it down, then they unchain it, and take it to a new spot doing everything over again, and they use it down in the hanger bay were things are really tight.

I found a picture of it while searching for other pictures; it has the smoke from the fire in it.

[​IMG]