1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SC92 Mock Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by SuperCharger92, Feb 20, 2012.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I'll be more realistic then my previous "mocks".. I'll make a serious one here..

1. Nick Perry - OLB - I'm not a HUGE fan with this pick, but we do need a pass rusher. We probably won't be able to afford Avril because we have other needs to address - Also I think the hire of Barry as Linebacker's coach will influence this pick.
    2. LaMichael James - RB - I think this is a need and despite whether we re-sign Tolbert or let him walk - James can fulfill Sproles' role in this offense a few years ago and really help Rivers out as the Chargers will have 3 running backs coming out of the backfield catching the ball - Also Mathews inability to stay healthy for 16+ games and Tolbert as well gets nicked up with his playing style I think it would be smart to invest in a pick like this at number 2.
    3. Josh Norman - CB - I have to give credit to charger1993 for this one. I was watching Norman early on in the college season but lost track of him. He has good size and speed and great leaping ability - I don't mind having Jammer, Cason, Hughes, Gilchrist, Norman, and Wright in that order on our depth chart. Norman will be a player for the future as well as Gilchrist.
    4. Tavon Wilson - S - Very talented 21 year old senior, captain of the Illinois defense is a true safety but has experience at CB, FS, and SS. He has some real good talent and can prosper in the NFL without a doubt.
    5. Ladarius Green - TE - I believe he will drop here in the 5th round and will be a valuable back up to Gates..
    6. Joe Long - T - Tackle draft class is pretty deep and Joe Long brother of Jake Long of the Dolphins is a steal here in round 6.. he is versitale and can play tackle, guard or center. Started 45 straight games for Wayne State and improved his stock in the East-West shrine game.
    7. Chris Galippo - ILB - I think Barry once again influences this pick with another USC product and Galippo didn't have the best Junior and Senior year but he had a solid sophomore year and I think he has potential to be a solid number 3 or 4 and special teams player..
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Can we afford to wait for the 6th round to take a tackle?
  3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Considering that as long as Norv and Hal Hunter are on the coaching staff - and he remains more expensive to cut than to keep - Clary will again be gifted the starting RT spot without any semblance of competition... yeah.

It's perfectly obvious to everyone but those two (and possibly AJ) that Clary is a liability to Rivers' health, but drafting a guy early won't make a difference. And this is a team that only drafts OL early when we go into that draft without ANY viable starter on the roster at that position (sad to say, they still see Clary as "viable").

My criticism is that I don't see Ladarius Green lasting to the 5th round, particularly coming off a season where the uber-athlete TE's became the "it" position on offense with the success of Gronknandez and Jimmy Graham. And I'm an Oregon homer, but with our team I would consider spending a 2nd round pick on LaMike to be wasteful. I stressed this in matilack's mock... one of the few things this front office and scouting staff has done consistently well is finding late round and UDFA value at the running back position (Sproles with a 4th round pick, Turner with a 5th, Todman with a 5th, Tolbert in UDFA). Spending a 2nd round pick on a RB (particularly only two years after effectively spending a 1st and a 2nd on a RB) is a luxury that this team can't afford right now.

I'll also be shocked if Tavon Wilson breaks the ceiling of the 6th round, let alone gets drafted at all. I certainly haven't seen anything meriting 4th round stock from him.
  4. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I think the only other option at RB in the later rounds is a guy like Ronnie Hillman (SDSU Guy) or Chris Rainey who can do multiple things. Also if Jeff Demps decides to come back from track he can possibly be signed as a UDFA.. he is the fastest player in college football and if he was at the combine this week I think he'd run a 4.1 or 4.2..

I also think Ladarius falls in the 4th-5th rounds cause theres about 8 or 9 guys that will picked off the board before him...

Tavon Wilson I heard good things from, haven't seen his play so I was just going off everything I read..

And I believe Joe Long can outplay Clary.. He certainly caught my eye in the shrine game..
  5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Paying a 2nd round premium for speed on a guy whose only going to likely see 10 carries per game is dumb. Sorry, but it is. We don't have to have a guy with blazing track speed to recreate what Sproles did for us; that a huge misconception people have. Ahmad Bradshaw ran a 4.55 40-yard, but he's plenty effective as a pass-catcher and shifty runner. Elusiveness and difficulty to tackle are much more important traits than a great 40-yard time. And there are plenty of guys who fit that mold that will be available in Rounds 5-7, UDFA, and inexpensively in regular free agency as guys who have already been in the league.

8 to 9 guys picked ahead of Webb? Feel free to name them; I'll be happy to shoot down (in detail) 6 at minimum.

I believe a cardboard box could outplay Clary, that doesn't mean I have any confidence in Norv and Hunter to give that box the opportunity to beat out Clary or that I believe AJ will draft an OL prior to the 4th round at the absolute earliest. Khalif Barnes, you know... that turnstile from the Raiders, could outplay Clary. Wouldn't change the fact that so long as Norv and Hunter are here, at least until he becomes financially expendable, Clary's starting spot won't be put up for grabs.
  6. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I'm sorry I should of been more clearer.. I meant throw the LaMichael James 2nd round spot out the window and go out in the later rounds and or pick up a UDFA like you said with the effectiveness of a Sproles type back are guys like Hillman and Rainey and possibly Demps.. I think without a doubt we need another back from this draft and actually keep him because Mathews and Tolbert do get nicked up, and Brinkley isn't the most reliable guy.. and even if he is that leaves us with Hester as his back up so thats why I said picking up a guy like James would be good because I see Tolbert getting a 2 year contract at best and if James shows potential we will not need to keep Tolbert around once he evolves behind Mathews..

Who's Webb? I said Ladarius Green.. guys like Dwayne Allen and Colby Fleener obviously, Orson Charles, Evan Rodriguez, David Paulson, George Bryan and even a guy like Michael Egnew..

I still think Joe Long is that good though.. I think he can catch the eyes of everybody and outplay a guy like Clary and the fact he is versatile is even more important on our OL.. he can play Guard and Center..
  7. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    New Mock:
    1st round: # 22 - OLB - USC - Nick Perry - y
    2nd round: # 37 - NT - Memphis - Dontari Poe - y
    3rd round: # 79 - OG - UMiami - Brandon Washington
    4th round: # 109 - CB - CCU - Josh Norman
    5th round: # 142 - TE - ULL - Ladarius Green
    6th round: # 175 - RB - SDSU - Ronnie Hillman
    7th round: # 207 - WR - UCAL - Marvin Jones

y - trade with the Browns. Browns trade up to # 18 overall in exchange we swap spots in the 1st round and 2nd round.
  8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    This strikes me more as a draft where you have guys falling to fit you getting the exact prospect you want in a draft position, rather than a realistic projection of who will be available at that draft spot.

You have Hillman going at least 2 rounds late (it's possible he goes that same path Jordan Todman did last year, but he's got more upside than Todman had). Perry isn't lasting until #22 overall (even if someone does bite on taking both Coples, Upshaw and Ingram ahead of him). Poe won't make it out of the 1st round - there's too high a premium on NT's even if they do take 2 years before they're truly starter-ready. I still think you're nuts for thinking that 5 TE's go before Green and that he falls to the 5th (especially after the combine he just had). If Robert Housler can go in the 3rd and Jordan Cameron in the 4th then Green easily will be drafted prior to the 5th.
  9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    'nuff said
  10. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    You have to take into exception that this is just a combine. They still have their pro days as well.. The combine is a bit overrated there has been plenty of players who've had an unbelievable combine, get drafted high and become flops (I think we've had a few of those no need to mention names). There have also been players who've had a bad combine or no invite at all and have had solid careers.

Dontari Poe, trust me look like a human bowling ball. The guy looks like a star right out of the gate. He is the top nose tackle but I think he falls into the top 5 in the 2nd round because you have Michael Brockers, Devon Still, and Jerel Worthy who all will be picked before him I believe. He's a top 50 player without a doubt.

Also Green had an unreal combine for a Tight End, truth but scouts also watch the tape. He had a terrible start to the season but finished strong. Also needs more bulk and it probably is a reach at 5 but you never know I've seen crazier things happen on draft day.

I don't think Hillman goes in the 4th at all. 5th maybe, but he'll defiantly be selected somewhere in the 6th round. I think he's the 11 or 12th best running back right now in the class.
  11. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Okay, here's a more realistic mock. I should of did some research, Poe was a 2nd-3rd rounder before the combine, apparently some people say he's top 10 material now.

Round 1: # 18 - OLB - USC - Nick Perry - Certainly need a pass rusher to upgrade this defense. It will be nice to have Perry, Phillips, and Barnes all in rotation. And depending on what we do with English and LaBoy is to be determined. They'll certainly be worked in there or be cut. I could see if Barnes and Perry are producing and Phillips is not, could see SP dealt at the trade deadline.
    Round 2: # 49 - OG - ISU - Kelechi Osemele - What a pick this is going to be. Osemele is freakishly athletic and can play primarily is a Guard. But, He can also play LT, LG, and RT. Kris retired so if Green isn't ready to step in Osemele will be. Also could outplay Clary at RT. Likely won't happen but he adds some great depth to this line.
    Round 3: # 79 - CB - CCU - Josh Norman - We certainly need help at this position. Cason will be a FA next year, who knows how well he'll play this year, and also Jammer is going to 33 in June and really digressed last year and it's just downhill from there. Gilchrist will hopefully be ready this year or in 2013 as well.
    Round 4: # 110 - TE - LLU - Ladarius Green - Okay moved him up, he'll defiantly be gone by the 5th. Did some research on other mocks as well. This may be a reach at pick # 110 but its possible.
    Round 5: # 142 - RB - UF - Chris Rainey - Very versatile and very quick. Can be a receiver out of the backfield, a receiver in the slot, a punt returner and kick returner. Great speed and good vision. I'd take a chance on this kid.
    Round 6: # 175 - DT - FSU - Logan Harrell - Steal right here. If he bulks up he could be a 5 technique player. Wasn't even invited to the combine and had a solid season.
    Round 7: # 207 - ILB - SMU - Korey Williams - Had a dominating Sophmore amd Junior year. Had a pretty good start in 2011 until his season was cut short after and ACL injury. He is recovering quite quickly but won't be 100 % at his pro day so this might be an absolute steal for the future right here.
  12. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I really like that mock I just put up, I think its pretty accurate.. but Acee just answered a question on twitter, looks like we might pursue Harrison Smith in the 2nd round. So it looks like we are A.) Drafting an OL in the 1st/SS in the 2nd and addressing the pass rusher in FA or B.) Drafting an OLB in the 1st/SS in the 2nd and sticking to Green/Schilling. But I don't see Harrison Smith getting passed up 17 times after the 1st round.
  13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    You mean 2nd round, right? Neither do I. I think the Jets, Pats, Cowboys, and Bucs are all threats to take him ahead of us.
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21
    Your first one was a complete face palm, I didn't even know how to comment on it. This one ia a bit more realistic, much better.

Although I'm not on the Norman bandwagon, I think he's a carrer nickle DB due to his lack of speed. It won't get exposed on Coastal Carolina game tape, or an East/West shrine game, but it will in the NFL.
  15. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    i started the norman train here, ive been going to coastal games since i was 12, im now 18, so ive got to see every one of the guys in the nfl play, i only like tolbert and simpson coming out of college, both are successful. But Norman is the type of player who makes u think the wr is open and hes not. like deion sanders said " coach i wasnt behind i just had to make the qb think i was beat so hed throw it". with that being said, its a good technique it could hurt at first, but for a 3rd round pick hes a good pick great hands, great measurables, and hes not all that slow. he could end up being out best corner by far,
  16. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    i dont like the 2nd round pick, im not to sold on this kid, ive seen very little tape so im not so sure how consistent he is. and chris rainey is to far of a reach, id choose differnet players in the 2nd,5th,6th,7th
  17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21
    Deion ran about a 4.25 40, he was freak of nature. Norman just ran a 4.66, :tdown: horrible. He will be exposed at the next level.

Ball skills and good hands mean jack squat if you're playing chase the whole time.
  18. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    dude a bad 40 time doesnt translate to the field in all cases, perfect example desaun jackson ran an official 40 of 4.33 yet he can run stride for stride with chris johnson who ran a 4.24, that .09 of a difference. and deion sanders 40 was never truly confirmed, it was said he showed up in sweats and ran a 4.18 the first time.anyone can run in shorts with no pads, i wanna see what they do with the pads and equipment
  19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21
    Okay, the guy just ran a 4.66 40 in shorts in PERFECT conditions fully prepared to run, on what planet is he going to be faster on grass with pads on? :alien:

You're getting confused, you're thinking about how RBs and WRs can get away with mediocre 40 times and still be successfull, thats because they're dictating where the ball goes. The same theory does not work for CBs, a slow CB will get annihilated by a fast WR running a 9 route all day.
  20. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    im not saying that, im purely saying Game speed is different from 40 yard dashes, idc if the boy ran a 5 flat, if he gets in a game and can run stride for stride then its all good, i dont base alot on the combine, i just base that my numbers are close to what i would guess, obviously this dude is no burner, but he does has great agility, and quickness and a great vertical, this guy can be a threat.
  21. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    K.O. is an extremely strong, run blocker. Something Dielman was.. He is not a pure tackle, which will appear on tape. He just needs to remain consistent.

We need a guy like Rainey, pure speed and vision. Can do multiple things on the field. The only problem with him is he can pass protect or run the damn ball for ish. Which is fine when you have Mathews and Tolbert.

Garay is 32. If he gets a deal it will be no longer than a 2 year deal. Might as well bloom a guy like Harrell. Who had a great year at Fresno State just check his stats and the tape. If we don't sign Garay I'm totally fine with having Cam Thomas in there or a more quality FA.

Korey Williams is a beast! Had he not tore his ACL we would of easily been a 2nd rounder. Through 3 games this year he had 35 tackles with 3.5 for a loss and 3 INT's. Last year he had 80 total tackles with 11 tackles for a loss and 3 sacks. Sophmore year he had 121 tackles with 11 tackles for a loss and 7 sacks. He's deff a sleeper even if he's injured I'd still roll the dice on him or his teammate Ronnie Thornton.
  22. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Yes obviously. Don't think he's a solid first rounder just YET. He has a high ceiling though.. he could be something BIG.
  23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Deion showed up, was heckled into running the 40, walked over to the starting blocks without stretching and ran a 4.2. If you're talking about a nickel corner to play in zone D then he might be functional, but a slow DB is always a bad idea. We don't need "Toast 2.0".
  24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    When exactly has Kelechi Osemele ever been consistent? His work ethic is crap, he's consistently had trouble maintaining an ideal playing weight and keeping his conditioning up (that's SOMETHING consistent, I suppose), and he's content to coast on his strength in lieu of actually using proper technique. He's something of a cross between Andre Smith and Duke Robinson (you remember Duke, pre-draft rankings had him as a 1st to 2nd rounder and he tumbled all the way to Carolina's 6th round pick).

I don't even much care for Ryan Miller all that much and I'd still take Ryan Miller over Oseleme.

Also, I like Norman as a corner... a zone corner. I'm not convinced he can hold up in man, even consistent press-man coverage which was his preferred approach in college. If Omar Bolden's knee checks out, I'd take Bolden over Norman if I was going to make a slight reach in the 3rd for either of them.
  25. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I don't see Osemele lasting past the 3rd round though. He is NOT a pure tackle. Has way more value at Guard. You put him and Gaither on one side you have 6'6 and 6'7 on that left side. The size is there, the strength is certainly there. He has quick feet as well. Great run blocker. He needs to be a Guard, without a doubt. He is a raw talent he has all the tools to be great in the FUTURE. He is not somebody who can start right away at LG. He would be a solid back up Tackle but his value is a Guard. He just needs to be a consistent player.

Ryan Miller could last in the 3rd.. But I doubt it.
  26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    My point with Osemele is that saying "he just has to be consistent" is understating the situation. His work ethic sucks according to multiple accounts I've read. If you don't want it bad enough then consistency isn't something you're ever really going to realize. We saw that with Igor, particularly in his last year with us and then especially when he went to Dallas and later Miami. We REALLY saw that with Fonuti and Olivea. Fonuti has all the tools to be truly great but he has a crap attitude and a crap work ethic and washed out into Scrubsville. Osemele strikes me as one in the same. You need a true disciplinarian OL coach to be on him and on him and on him. What part of our offensive staff rings disciplinarian to you? Because I'm sure not seeing it.
  27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21

To move away from this conversation...because I'm bored....I'm working on a new mock draft and I'm at the 5th round and I'm looking at WRs.

Greg Childs vs Marvin McNutt. What do you think?

Childs: 6'3 219, 4.55, and on film I see...
    Speed: B
    Route running: B
    Seperation: C+
    Hands: A
    Blocking: A
    YAC B+

McNutt: 6'3 215, 4.57 and on film...
    Speed: B+
    Route running: C+
    Seperation: B
    Hands: A
    Blocking: B
    YAC: B+

I'm leaning towards McNutt
  28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Are you watching tape of Childs pre- or post-knee injury? Because he's been DRASTICALLY different (in a bad way) ever since the injury. Personally, depending on who you still see being available, I'd take AJ Jenkins over both, but that's neither here nor there. Hand-size is a major asset for both (10+" hands are nice to have on a team), arm length difference is negligible. Childs' inability to separate is due to lack of athleticism and lack of great burst off the line (he's a "speed-builder" which are guys that can get wrecked by really effective press-corners) is what pushes McNutt above him for me, among the two. McNutt needs to polish his route-running (but then so do most rookie WR's), but workouts indicate he has the tools to deliver in that department... I'm not so certain with Childs because I've yet to see him make anything remotely close to a quick and hard cut on a route since he tore his patella tendon.
  29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21
    I thought I graded them as such. The reason Childs is even in the conversation is I think he plays harder, and I think the injury will get better with time.

But yeah I think McNutt is probably the pick despite his lack of effort when he is clearly not the target on the play. 5th round, by now almost 200 guys are off the board, so I don't think you can do much better.
  30. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I really liked AJ Jenkins at the combine. He looked real good and had a pretty good year for an non explosive Illinois offense.

I'd take McNutt over Childs though. At this level of the NFL coming from College separation is key. McNutt does that well and has great awareness. He also gets up and makes some very tough catches.