1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SDUT: By arm or by leg, whatever it takes for Tomlinson

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Oct 31, 2005.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20051031-9999-1s31chnotes.html

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

October 31, 2005

LaDainian Tomlinson went a second straight game without a touchdown, following the end of his record-tying run of 18 consecutive games with one.

He did, however, throw for a 17-yard touchdown, his third in three passes this season.

The Chiefs had evidently forgotten about Tomlinson's ability to throw, because if not for the ball, Eric Parker would have died of loneliness in the end zone. The two defensive backs dropping with Parker immediately closed on Tomlinson, and the running back threw an easy lob to Parker.

Tomlinson, a game after being held to a career-low seven yards on 17 carries at Philadelphia, ran 17 times for 69 yards yesterday.

He had more room than he did in Philadelphia, but a hobbling Chargers offensive line struggled again blocking for Tomlinson on a consistent basis.

"We need to get the running game back to where it was," right guard Mike Goff said. "We all know that."

Losing it
    Reche Caldwell knows he is gaining a reputation he does not want.

"I probably will," he said yesterday. "But I still can make plays. I just have to hold onto the football. When I get the opportunity, I just can't let it go."

After making a catch and 20-yard gain to Kansas City's 27-yard line in the second quarter, Caldwell was stripped of the ball by Jared Allen. The turnover was not as damaging as the one at the end of last week's game against the Eagles, but it did deny the Chargers probable points.

"I just fumbled it," Caldwell said. "I can't let it happen again. It's part of the game, but you don't want that to happen, especially two weeks in a row."

Teammates approached Caldwell on the sideline, telling him to keep focused and "stay in the game." He didn't get the chance, as he did not get back on the field.

Time to heal
    Linebacker Steve Foley, who finally gave into the pain of an abdominal strain and missed yesterday's game, said he will try to play this week against the Jets. But if he misses that game and gets three weeks off, it won't be such a bad thing.

"I know we have a run coming up after the bye," Foley said. "So we're trying to get it ready for that."

Easy going
    Nate Kaeding walked from the field after the game and said with a smile, "Hard day at the office."

A hip ailment kept Kaeding from kicking off, and Kaeding never had the opportunity to kick a field goal. His day was limited to four extra points.

Big play
    Chargers running back Michael Turner never carried the ball yesterday, but he made one of the biggest plays of the game.

The Chargers were leading 21-10 when they punted to Dante Hall on the final play of the third quarter. Hall caught the ball at his own 13-yard line, sprinted down the middle of the field and appeared on his way to an 87-yard touchdown.

But he shifted to his right to avoid punter Mike Scifres, and that was all Turner needed. He chased Hall down and tackled him at the San Diego 35. The Chiefs wound up with only a field goal.

"It's scary seeing the back of his jersey," Turner said. "He's one of the most dangerous players ever to return in this league. I just wanted to keep hustling, keep fighting. You never know what can happen, like last year he dropped the ball (nearing the end zone on a kickoff return against the Chargers). I just wanted to keep chasing him down.

"When he made that move to the sideline, I knew I had him. He messed up right there, because I was going full speed and he had that little hesitation and that's precious. That was the difference."

Nuts 'n' Bolts
    Kassim Osgood continued to stand out on special teams, making four special teams tackles.

Cornerback Sammy Davis, making his third straight start in place of Drayton Florence, tied linebacker Donnie Edwards with a game-high 11 tackles.

Keenan McCardell caught five passes for 73 yards, moving into a tie for 13th with Isaac Bruce on the all-time reception list.