1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SDUT: DB Fletcher fumes about playing time

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Sep 15, 2005.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

September 15, 2005

The Chargers presumably have a plan regarding Jamar Fletcher, even if it is not readily apparent.

Teams have contacted them about acquiring Fletcher in trade, which they have refused. Yet, in Sunday's season opener against Dallas, Sammy Davis was the nickel back, and Fletcher did not play a single down.

It has reached a boiling point for Fletcher.

"Me not playing on Sunday, that's crazy to me," he said yesterday. "That doesn't make sense."

Many observers believe Fletcher outplayed Davis in the preseason.

Davis is bigger and faster, perhaps even the fastest player on defense. But Fletcher made plays all summer.

Fletcher, a first-round pick of the Miami Dolphins in 2001, was acquired from Miami for David Boston before last season. He played in every game and was the team's primary nickel back.

"We just have to try to keep the best players we can," General Manager A.J. Smith said last night. "I'm happy with the (defensive backs) we have as a group."

Said Fletcher: "I know if I'm out there on Sunday I can help. I think that's obvious. All I can do is shrug my shoulders and throw my hands up. Nothing has been explained to me. I haven't seen why I'm not capable of getting on the field. I'm trying to win. I can help us be 1-1 instead of 0-2."

Davis, the Chargers' first-round pick in 2003, started every game as a rookie. He started 12 games last season and was replaced by Drayton Florence for good before this season.

Smith pointed out the competition for a position such as the nickel back is ongoing.
  2. LT teh ghost

LT teh ghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    I am glad he is your guys problem now......he was a turd and yet another faild wanny/speilman draft pick :roll:
  3. BigFinFan

BigFinFan BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Very glad that he is gone!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    What happened in Miami. Why didn't he play much there?
  5. dice

dice BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Fletcher was bad fit for Miami's press man coverage scheme. I did not see much of the guy in college, but from what I read he was used to playing more zone schemes where he could play face up to the QB and react. He never adjusted to running with WR's with his back to the QB.