1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SDUT: Players concerned with 0-2 start, not Eli

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Sep 22, 2005.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +707 / 2 / -0
    By Kevin Acee

Sure, linebacker Donnie Edwards wants to level Eli Manning when the Chargers play the New York Giants on Sunday.

But Edwards' desire is neither personal nor malicious. He harbors no grudge that Manning refused to play for the Chargers.

"It's not an issue," Edwards said. "If we'd played him a year-and-a-half ago it might have been an issue. Right now, the issue for us is trying to get a win. We're 0-2. I'm all about whatever it takes for us to win, and if that's hitting Eli Manning in the mouth, then we'll hit him in the mouth."

Manning will likely be the object of Chargers fans' venom at Qualcomm Stadium for his stance before the 2004 draft that he would not play for the Chargers.

And yesterday Manning told reporters in New York: "I've played in loud stadiums before, but I don't know if I've played in a place where the team had a reason to dislike me."

But the fact is, the players who are going against Manning have not made this personal.

"I don't care," said linebacker Steve Foley, who has two sacks this season.

What did rankle Chargers players was that Manning tried to manipulate the draft process. (It didn't work, as the Chargers drafted him anyway and traded him less than an hour later.)

"It wasn't the fact he didn't want to come to the Chargers, it was the fact he was like above the league," cornerback Quentin Jammer said, echoing the thought of many teammates. "Nobody's above the league. If you get drafted, you need to be happy with where you're drafted. A lot of people who don't get drafted would love to. He's the No. 1 pick, and he's crying about it."

Now, Chargers defenders did not deny that should they get the opportunity to have some physical contact with Manning, they might also have some words for him.

"Things come up in a game," defensive end DeQuincy Scott said with a laugh.

Said Edwards: "I grew up here. I'm a lifelong Chargers fan."
    Nuts 'n' Bolts
    Rookie receiver Vincent Jackson (calf) did not practice yesterday . . . Defensive end Igor Olshansky returned to practice but remains listed as questionable . . . About 1,300 tickets remain for Sunday's game. The deadline to sell out and avoid a blackout is 5:30 this evening.