1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"Sell Out To Stop LT, and Philip Rivers Will Make You Pay."

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BlueandGold, Jan 6, 2008.

1. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings Received:
    +219 / 0 / -0
    Sell out to stop LT, and PR will make you pay.

I think this, the statement of Charger fan dreams, is finally coming true.

Today, the Titans laid the ultimate insult on the Charger passing game - they sold out on our running back. It's the same old song and dance we've been witness to since Drew Brees was hanging around these parts:

"Stop LT, force (Brees/Rivers) to beat you, and you solve the Chargers."

For the most part, up to this point, it's been true.

This year has been a painful one. I think it's pretty clear that Philips struggles are the result of Norv putting more and more on his shoulders, knowing that the playoffs were a time when teams were going to do this - lock down LT and watch the Chargers crumble. Hell, it's happened every other time - to the point where the national media now repeats it like it's some great secret now revealed.

On the Titans forums, there are quite a few people roasting Fisher for selling out to stop LT. I disagree - I think over the last few years, hell, even earlier this year - it would have been the right call. He just is unlucky that he was the coach present when the light finally started to come on for Philip.

He saw a piece of it late in the fourth quarter in Tennessee, and he, like most of America, probably wrote it off as a fluke. That's why his game plan was what it was today, because of this assumption that is now a fundamental error:

"Philip Rivers can't beat anyone by himself."

What we witnessed today was a product of a season-long effort by Norv Turner - an effort to make the team LESS reliant on LT, and effort to tell his starting quarterback, "There will be times when YOU have to be the one to do it all."

Today, Philip was the one indeed. He had some great help from his O-Line, and Chambers and VJ, but Philip made it go. The days of the LT and Gates show are over - there's a new partner's name on the business card.

He's pretty damn close to Trumpy's magic statement: "The game is slowing down for me." I think he says it, if not sometime in these playoffs, sometime very early next season.

The Chosen One is arriving.
  2. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    yeah I think you nailed it. Norvy said today that he was spending the entire season making our team less reliant on LT. So that you can't just stop LT and stop the Chargers. I even think he acknowledged that there we teams that would be able to contain him or that he'd have off days and this team needed to be more than one demensional to make it through the playoffs.
  3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    Sell out to stop LT, and PR will make you pay.

Nice to see him coming of NFL age. Can't wait to see if the Colts try the same thing.
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    here's the thing

Rivers was declared to be the X-Factor and in many ways he will determine how far we go in the playoffs. And he put it all together in one outstanding game. Yes he had a problem with CHambers on that INT and yes the gates pass was stupid, but he played an outstanding game and made the titans pay in spades.

I don't know if this will alter how the Colts attack us but Rivers will cut someone up if they try that again.
  5. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +848 / 1 / -0
    This should make Us rest a little easier if the Colts go all out to stop LT
  6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,532 / 7 / -2
    Titans to Rivers: We dare you to beat us.

RIvers to Titans: PWNED.
  7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Please dont tell me you are going to say he got Gates hurt. That wasnt a stupid pass....he got rid of the ball while moving to his right. Did you want him to take a sack? It is just a freak thing that Gates is hurt.
    He didnt have to try and get up but he did.....and THAT is when he got hurt when he was on his knees and took the hit.
  8. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    Rivers played fine all the way through the game today. The INT was one of those plays where he took a chance and it didn't pay off. It wasn't a poor decision. For the rest of the first half he was playing with his back perpetually against the wall as the Chargers were consistently getting nothing on first-down or worse, were getting penalties.

He threw the ball well all day. He stood tall in the pocket and delivered accurate passes. He has proven to me that he's just fine as a QB if you give him some receivers he trusts (took a little time to build some trust with Chambers) and some good pass protection.

Even when we were in 3rd-and-long situations throughout the game today, Rivers consistently bailed us out as long as we gave him time to throw. That's all he needed.

IMO, the philosophy teams employ against us has been just as much a statement against our o-line's ability to pass-protect as it has been a statement against PR.
  9. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Last year, Rivers was perfectly capable of making teams pay. The guy made the pro bowl for a reason. The primary difference this year is that Norv put him in a position where he wasn't utilizing his strengths and the OL sucked in pass protection in the beginning of the year. He adjusted and went from there.

This one dimensional argument is a rationalization for the struggles at the beginning of the year; but who cares. We are in the Elite 8, just like last year.
  10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Trust goes hand in hand with, at some point during the season, the receivers starting to make plays for Philip to catch some of his less accurate passes. That was the point, IMHO, when the team started coming together.
  11. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings Received:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    I will add this as well.

Norv himself was instrumental in getting this Playoff win.

His coaching was in my opinion excellent.

Norv lulled the Titans to sleep in the first half. Norv then put the Titans in the second half on their heals.

Norv then did not have to look back. Everything was in control from there.

I give big props to Norv Turner.

Thank you Norv. What a great game you coached.
  12. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    I'm not ready to say that Rivers has turned the corner yet. I think the game is starting to slow down for him, and I think you see that in his play. In the next year to year and a half I think Rivers will be the QB that ALOT of us thought he could be. :yes:
  13. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings Received:
    +219 / 0 / -0
    Whoops... did he do it again? :tup:

By the time the rest of the league realizes it's a bad idea to stack the box, we'll have the Lombardi. :bolt::yes::bolt: