1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Senior Bowl General Thread

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AnteaterCharger, Jan 23, 2012.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,353 / 19 / -3
  2. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +91 / 4 / -1
    Alright, even though nobody replied to this....Here's my analysis from the Sr. bowl from what i watched. I mostly like to watch the line, so it will mostly be those guys, but it was hard not to watch some of the WR's. But i struggled figuring out which LB's were which, so i chose to focus on the DL/OT's i could recognize.

The guy that really shocked me was Cordy Glenn and his foot speed. He looked really good out on the edge. If all the good pass rushers are gone in the first, or we picked up one in FA like Avril/Williams (PLEASE *drool*), then i'd be fully OK with taking Cordy Glenn as a RT/LG. He shut everyone down, but even Vinny Curry got the better of him from time to time. While he doesn't look good with his build, his long arms and great foot speed really shows in his play.

Curry was one of the main guys i watched, and he did VERY well for himself. I'd be surprised to see him available by the time our 2nd pick rolls around. Every time i see him He just SCREAMS Terrell Suggs. Isn't going to be one of those combine standouts, but is a decent athlete with pretty good burst, that just EVERY PLAY strait up GETS AFTER IT. Plays with a lot of emotion and passion for the game.

Ingram really dissapointed me as i said before, was completely out of every play almost. Just didn't seem to make an impact at all. Sure he was good in practice in one on ones, where he just dominated guys like Sanders/Glenn a few times that i saw durring the game, he just didn't have the burst or moves to beat anyone when he rushed today, which was funny because he actually showed quite the array of moves in practice. He just doesn't have the burst.

Upshaw was solid, but nothing special, kind of what i would've expected. Did a good job being strong vs. the run, and showed solid burst, but as always, his motor and awareness is what really showed. That especially showed through on his sack, where he knew that the pocket was collapsing and he knew that the QB's first move when the pocket collapses is step back and took a PERFECT angle on Glenn and got to Wilson. Rushed out of a standup in a lot of 3-4 looks opposite Ingram and showed good burst from there.

Joe Adams is just ridiculously slippery. He just has a sense for setting up defenders in a way that he can get out of tackles. The move where he had Curry from the side and the CB (i think Norman or Jenkins) in front of him, took a few steps at Curry, then just dips and backs out of both of them to find open space. He's insane, if he bulks up for the combine and is able to run in the 4.2's like he says, 1st round pick is a VERY good posibility IMO. Reminds me of Desean Jackson but a few inches taller.

Marvin Jones is just plain and simple a solid receiver. I've watched quite a few Cal games and the kid is just the perfect #2. He has incredible spacial awareness, and has great body controll in the air. Great rout runner, very good hands, and just all around solid. Perfect #2 in the NFL, though probably not a target for us IMO.

Didn't notice Rainey other than a few plays. Didn't really get to many chances to get out in space, but is a sleeper 5-7th rounder.

Same goes for TJ Graham. Got the ball in his hands a few times, and looked decent, but overall, the QB play in this game was so HORRIBLE that it was hard to get a feel for any WR other than Adams since he was only getting quick hitches that are pretty hard throws to miss.

Obviously Pead did good. He was quick and explosive through the whole game. Somewhat of a sleeper right now. I like him better than Todman last year.

Cam Johnson who i am usually a fan of, did absolutely nothing, did NOT look good out there. Developmental guy in the 3rd-4th at this point.

Mike Martin......I'm honestly just speechless, the man is just plain and simple a MONSTER. Just unmovable. I'd take him in the 3rd or 4th as a NT if we lose Garay and dont bring anyone else in. Ready to play right away.

Ta'amu was solid, but showed what he really is. He's a guy with NT size that plays like a penetrating UT. Doesn't anchor well, doesn't use his strength and leverage ability and just looks poor when forced to play that role. NOT a NT for us.

McClellin did a really good job, especially for playing basically an entirely new position to him (though he did alot of walking around and playing a bit of LB at BSU). He seems like he's better standing up using his versatility rather than playing as a rush LB where he is rushing 90% of the time similar to what the Steelers did with Timmons.

I cant think of anyone else i watched, but if i think of someone i'll add it in this thread.

I was watching it off a pretty bad stream and missed about somewhere between a quarter to half a quarter because my stream was pissing me off. So i hard a hard time of telling LB's apart, and was more set on watching certain guys, so i missed a lot of the LB's playing.
  3. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +602 / 11 / -4
    I watched the first quarter so far. Mitchell Schwartz, playing RT, from Cal, looked impressive.
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I said somewhere earlier that Cam Johnson ain't all that.

Joe Adams could be our next Sproles in the form of a McCluster-type of guy. Move him around,slot,backfiled,wherever you can to create a mismatch.

Ta'Amu is pretty stout in the middle, but I still believe that Poe has a bigger upside. His height is what gives him some trouble with leverage.

Upshaw did nothing to hurt or help his stock IMO. He's a solid player who doesn't have much more upside.

Bobby Wagner is a gamer.
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,353 / 19 / -3
    The only thing I wonder about Vince Curry is whether he has the physical tools to really make a go of it. There's no doubting his tenacity, his determination, his drive. He also has a good repetoire of pass rush moves. The question is whether he has teh speed and strength and that's something I don't know if has been answered.

Another person of interest, Brandon Boykin - injured in the senior bowl, stock might drop, what a talent he is
  6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    For the value & upside, I'd take Curry over Ingram.