1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Shawne Merriman will be the best LB in the NFL

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chargerpower, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Chargerpower

Chargerpower BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Give his 2-3 years and he will be in the same class as Ray Lewis!
  2. daniel5678

daniel5678 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I always thought Ray Lewis was more style than substance and that he was overrated. Maybe Marvin Lewis was the real reason their team was once good and once won the SB.

Merriman and Lewis are different players anyway. I would put Merriman more in the Pittsburgh mode (Gildon, Porter, Lloyd, Brown). Which is fine by me. It's just ridiculous he lasted to the 12th pick of the draft. It's more an affect of his size, being a "tweener" LB-DL. That is what's so great about the Chargers playing a 3-4. They can get these kinds of pass rushers because they don't have prototypical DE size. Shawn Phillips was the same deal.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the defense has been a lot more physical since Merriman has been in the lineup. This clearly was the intent of AJ Smith, who may or may not have had to convince Marty to go along with the idea. Just look back to when Jue was named the starter over Wilson. Jue is much more physical. Even Sammie Davis is hitting people now. It's contagious! Look for more of the same kind of players in the future.