1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Sherman goes "Gangsta".

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerMike, Jan 20, 2014.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    My point was both guys are willing trash talkers, so saying one guy is somehow above another the other because he was talking trash is not a great excuse.

Oh well, as LBC correctly reminded us, a ton of great athletes are jerks. And my initial comment still stands, you almost never see guys like Sherman come out of Stanford (talented and brash), so he's something of an enigma to me.:D

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,084 / 31 / -0
    Well, one guy backed it up and the other didn't

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    And every player me and LBC named could back it up in spades, that doesn't mean they wernt asses in their own right. I mean that as an observation, not an accusation.

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 11 / -0
    So much this.

I don't deny that most of his antics are essentially for show - it's a very cerebral methodology from what I've seen/read - all about getting into an opponents head and whatnot. Which is why I find the "oh noes he's not classy" so amusing - you've played right into his hand. The NFL is entertainment, it's one big show and players like Sherman who desire and know how to be a showman are (temporary) stars. There are truly thugs in the NFL but Sherman isn't one of them. Doesn't mean you have to like him, in fact he probably feeds off of the fact that people don't.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 11 / -0
    Interesting perspective...

Hate Sherman's rant? It's got nothing on Belichick's Welker accusation

January 20, 2014 2:46 pm ET

[​IMG]
    Bill Belichick is trying to say one of his former players tried to hurt one of his current players. (Getty Images)

More NFL: Broncos handle Pats to win AFC, reach Super Bowl

Richard Sherman said something shocking. Bill Belichick said something disgusting. Not a subtle difference, that.

Sherman? He gloated. He was a poor winner. He didn't show much any class by erupting on national television after the Seahawks beat San Francisco in the NFC Championship Game on Sunday night, but it was seconds after the biggest moment of his career. Testosterone and adrenaline were coursing through his veins. The game had just ended. He had delivered the winning play. And he has a history with 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree. Add it up, and while I'm not impressed with Richard Sherman, I can't get mad at him. What he said was shocking, but that's about as far as it goes.

What Belichick said? Appalling. Mean-spirited. Classless, even dangerous.

Yet most of us are talking about Richard Sherman instead of Bill Belichick. On Twitter, Richard Sherman is trending around the world. Not just nationally, though he is. But as I write this on Monday afternoon he's trending in a country as far away as Poland, and as pervasively as worldwide, and he's trending primarily because people think he's a jerk. They're calling him worse stuff than that, of course, racially loaded terms like "thug." Because he's just so scary!

Meanwhile, more than 12 hours after his team lost to the Broncos in the AFC title game,Patriots coach Bill Belichick very calmly sat down behind a microphone and without even a drop of emotion accused Broncos receiver Wes Welker (an ex-Patriot) of trying to injure another player.

Welker did injure another player, Patriots defensive back Aqib Talib, but injuries happen in football. Intentionally inflicting an injury? That doesn't happen nearly as often, and when it does happen we as a sports-loving society -- as decent people -- recoil from it. Because intentionally hurting another player is about as low as an athlete can go in the course of competition.

One of the few things more despicable? Unfairly accusing a player of intentionally hurting someone else. That's what Belichick did, and what he said is worse than what Richard Sherman said, and if this were a mathematics equation it would look like this:

Awfulness of Belichick comment > awfulness of Sherman comment.

Actually, it would look like this:

Awfulness of Belichick comment > awfulness of Sherman comment (times 50).

Because what Belichick said about Welker was 50 times worse than what Sherman said about Crabtree. Maybe 75 times worse. A hundred times worse? Yeah, probably so.

Here's what Belichick said about the play, a pass over the middle in which Broncos receivers Demaryius Thomas and Welker ran crossing routes and Welker collided with Talib:

"The way that play turned out, I went back and watched it, which I didn't have a chance to [Sunday]," Belichick said Monday morning. "It was a deliberate play by the receiver to take out Aqib. No attempt to get open. I'll let the league handle the discipline on that play, whatever they decide. It's one of the worst plays I've seen."

Welker is dirty. That's what Belichick is saying. Aqib Talib was knocked out of the game with a knee injury, presumably a serious one, and it happened because Wes Welker made a "deliberate play ... to take out Aqib."

That's what Belichick said, but he said more than that.

One of the worst plays I've seen.

Belichick finally turned magnanimous when he allowed that he will "let the league handle the discipline," which is ironic in that the league might have more to say about Bill Belichick than about Wes Welker. Can a coach brazenly accuse a player of another team of trying to hurt someone? We're about to find out, because the league saw the play. I saw it. You probably saw it too, and if not, here you go. Watch this:

[​IMG]
    Watch Welker over and over. Watch him coming out of his break and head behind Thomas. It's called a pick play, and it happens all game long in the NFL. So do open-field collisions between receivers and defensive backs -- like the one a few minutes before Welker ran into Talib, when Patriots receiver Julian Edelman ran into Broncos defensive back Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who had to leave the game but later returned.

But anyway, watch that play again. What I see: Welker comes out of his break, avoids Thomas by running behind him, and runs into Talib. Why? Because there was nowhere else to go.

Watch that, and then remember something: Wes Welker is 5-feet-9, 185 pounds. Aqib Talib is four inches taller (6-1) and 20 pounds heavier (205). Oh, and another thing about Welker: He suffered a concussion this season. Then he suffered another. After the second concussion Welker was sidelined for five weeks, and when he returned he was wearing an oversized helmet to protect his brain. When did he return?

One week ago.

This is who Bill Belichick is accusing of trying to injure a bigger, heavier defender by running into him at full speed: a guy with a twice-concussed brain forced to wear a special helmet to protect his head.

And we call Belichick a "genius?" Man, he's no genius. He's either stupid, or he's malicious. Those are the only choices I see to describe a man who would announce that he is certain, beyond a doubt, that Wes Welker made a "deliberate play ... to take out Aqib."

One of the worst plays I've seen.

I've seen worse things.

Belichick's news conference Monday, for example.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    I think your own words are something of an enigma to you...

7. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +829 / 22 / -1
    It might be body of work as well. He has had a few incidents of running his mouth, so people probably already have an opinion of him and that didn't change it.

8. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,011 / 1 / -0
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,592 / 48 / -6
    Cool picture. I love how folks just walked right into this one.

10. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,011 / 1 / -0
    KA earned his ROY honors and I love him as a player. In less than a year's time he also wore a Raiders cap in public and announced that he almost quit because he wasn't playing enough. That's fine, but throw the blanket "quiet type" over him is not accurate.

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    I dont know, he seems to be letting his play on the field speak for him. One picture of him wearing the hat and one article talking about how he questioned staying in the NFL doesn't make him a mouthy attention seeker either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    you can have those guys! They have never hoisted a Lombardi and probably never will!

13. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +262 / 5 / -2
    Said the guy who joined 4 months ago (at least under his current monicker)... oh wait... did I just step on the joke?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +429 / 8 / -0
    Maybe this will help clear things up...

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    Frant I don't want any CB on my team that doesn't have an ego and doesn't trash talk a little. Frankly Sherman has a great reputation off the field and is a very intelligent guy. He let his emotions get the better of him - anyone not guilty of that? And bayless is a loudmouthed jackass with a big mouth and a ten cent brain.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,303 / 12 / -5
    Bayless is paid to be an idiot and overachieves in doing it.

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    I never said I wanted them.:confused:

But I can see Luck winning a ring someday.

19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    It's gonna take more than that.

The guy seems to have a working on/off switch, I like his ratio of quiet to delusional self confidence. Or perhaps not so delusional if his rookie year is a sign of things to come.

20. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    Let's see here.

1. Sherman approached Crabtree at Larry Fitzgeralds charity golf tourney to say hi and shake his hand and Crabtree disses the hand shake and tells him to eff off... at a charity event. Nice one Crabtree.

2. During the season and before the game Crabtree says Sherman is not the best CB in the league.

3. Sherman said good game to Crabtree after the clinching play and Crabtree pushes him in the helmet.

From this Sherman is the bad guy??? LOL. Laughable.

Sherman is a beast and deserved every right to do what he did. He did his talking AFTER the game, not before the game like a cheapshot.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +262 / 5 / -2
    I do. I want good players regardless of any of that.

22. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,011 / 1 / -0
    [​IMG]

Dude, not only did I not call him a mouthy attention seeker, but I dismissed his goofy behavior in my own post. I don't care if he wears a rainbow "Fux San Diego" cap so long as he balls on Sundays.

Sure, he doesn't make as much noise as a Chad Ochocinco, but can we at least agree that he made more noise than say DJ Fluker? and the whole rest of the O-line? and the D-line? combined? Hence, he is still plausibly a fine fellow and great football player, but to defend the 'quiet type' label with which I disagree, is either denial or trolling!

EDIT: Skip Bayless is a tool's tool.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    so that is your game huh?
    Tell me what is a quiet type to you. I dont read where you dismissed anything but him being a quiet type which you have not defined. Nice to see you Oz-troll and CBF playing your solidarity game. I guess that is better than the silly insult games at your place. classy.

24. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    You must understand that every time I play the solidarity game, it's a goof on the solidarity game. It's only useful to me as a goof and even if I found value in the mob, I couldn't hope to compete with your army of fukcwits. In that respect you are a winner.

• Old Old x 1
  25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    In Concs defense, the picture + your comment about Allen not being the quiet type was misleading.

26. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,011 / 1 / -0
    God damnit Oz-troll, heel. Those buttons are passive aggressive and lame, so stop, please, for all of us.

Conc did I not just offer DJ Fluker and entire offensive and defensive units as examples (definitions?) of quiet types?

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    which says what? other than the UT making a mountain of a mole hill out of him questioning if he would make it in the nfl, and wearing the reaiders hat what has he done off the field to make noise? He is mellow in twitter and has not been a front page story unlike other WRs we had here that had to be picked up by Rivers on the way to the game.
    So what noise do you see him making?
    That is not trolling that is getting to the 411.

28. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    But were Conc not a compartmentalized mess, I'd say I made progress by him noticing the absurdity of using them. But alas, he is a mess. I will stop

• Old Old x 1
  29. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    Conc would make an awesome neighborhood watch vigilante.

• Old Old x 1
  30. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    Mati, you silly burk! How is that old? Prove your comprehension